What Kind of Cameras Do You Guys Have?

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
What Kind of Cameras Do You Guys Have?
Author Message
Posted: May 10, 2012 at 8:27 Quote
jamie12345 wrote:
Nice life for some.
Yeah, like I don't work 12-14/day 6 days-a-week to shell out thousands in camera gear. It's not as nice as you think. Razz

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 9:02 Quote
jamie12345 wrote:
Nice life for some.

Bit of a strange statement.

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 11:10 Quote
mustmoto wrote:
jamie12345 wrote:
Nice life for some.
Yeah, like I don't work 12-14/day 6 days-a-week to shell out thousands in camera gear. It's not as nice as you think. Razz
Sorry, that came across wrong, didn't mean to imply you don't work for it at all, more just meaning that's some sick gear to have.

Posted: May 13, 2012 at 16:00 Quote
I have a samsung gx10.

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 16:18 Quote
Nikon D 300
Nikon D 70
Nikor 50mm F1.2, 16-70, 70-210, Tamron 500mm mirror, and in the market for a 10-20mm a the moment
twin custom nikon speed lights run in manual,
Access to up to 20 bowens studio lights with bat pacs from work Big Grin yet to try these out of a studio environment though
finally couple of go pro's with different uses, housings, lenses and currently working on a remote controlled zip wire go pro.

My best bit of advice, Learn your camera backwards regardless of if its a nikon D4 or a blackberry torch if you know how to use it to get good results for the conditions lighting and senario presented then you will succeed, I see far to many people in my line of work(College Photography technician for 16-21 year olds) go out and spend 5K on a camera set up and not know how to adjust apertures, ISO manual white balance. when all they needed to do was learn were the buttons were on there previous kit!

Also to anyone with a DSLR get your self a good quality fast 50mm and try shooting with that makes you think alot more about composure of images and focal points

Cheers
Rich

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 16:24 Quote
I wouldn't recommend getting a 50 because inevitably newer shooters will be on an APSC camera. Id get a 35.

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 16:30 Quote
Muttley wrote:
I wouldn't recommend getting a 50 because inevitably newer shooters will be on an APSC camera. Id get a 35.

simply to make you think more about the shots you take though I think it is an excellent investment granted on say a nikon 1 or similar its a waste of time but if your working on DSLR('s) then its a excellent aid to stunning shots

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 16:32 Quote
No you missed my point. A 50 isn't a 50 on a camera that isn't Full Frame, its a 70, heading for 80mm lens. That doesn't increase creativity, it increases the amount of low DOF shots of a flowerpot. Hence why I said a 35 is more suited because it is equivalent to a 50mm lens on an entry level DSLR.

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 16:35 Quote
Basically 50 is an awkward length to shot at if you're using a crop camera (not saying it's not do-able, just awkward). 35 mm or 28mm is a lot better suited to crop cameras as they are closer to the full frame equivalent of a 50. (42mm or 53mm)

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 16:50 Quote
Muttley wrote:
No you missed my point. A 50 isn't a 50 on a camera that isn't Full Frame, its a 70, heading for 80mm lens. That doesn't increase creativity, it increases the amount of low DOF shots of a flowerpot. Hence why I said a 35 is more suited because it is equivalent to a 50mm lens on an entry level DSLR.

I don't think it matters either way.

What's more important is developing compositional skill and either of those lenses will help you do that. Pick one.

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 17:03 Quote
ian408 wrote:
Muttley wrote:
No you missed my point. A 50 isn't a 50 on a camera that isn't Full Frame, its a 70, heading for 80mm lens. That doesn't increase creativity, it increases the amount of low DOF shots of a flowerpot. Hence why I said a 35 is more suited because it is equivalent to a 50mm lens on an entry level DSLR.

I don't think it matters either way.

What's more important is developing compositional skill and either of those lenses will help you do that. Pick one.
... You are correct in the sense that they will both help with those skill sets. But one will develop it faster (in my opinion).
It's sort of like pump tracks. One with small berms and rollers that are closer together will help you develop your biking skill, but a pump track with bigger berms and longer rollers will help you develop that skill faster because it flows better. (ie: one is more difficult than the other).

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 18:20 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
You are correct in the sense that they will both help with those skill sets. But one will develop it faster (in my opinion).

The difference between the two is insignificant enough not to matter when you take into account that most people will end up shooting something else at some point. I also think it's easier when the tools remain the same during the learning process and that's why I say it doesn't matter as much.

The point I think you're trying to make is that 50mm (35mm equiv) is closer to what the human eye perceives and because of this, it will be easier since you already "see" the composition. I think we agree that's true in the 35mm film world, it's not as easy in the digital world so picking a 35 or 50 doesn't matter.

Posted: May 29, 2012 at 2:12 Quote
Not all lenses are designed for 35mm, there are diffrent lenes, say in nikon, FX full frame, DX for 2/3rdsand i belive EX but ive never touched EX my self,

If you grab a FX body and stick a DX lens on it will form a circular image as the lens is optomised for the area it needs to cover, what i think your refering to is using a FX lens on a DX that means that the image is cropped and the lens is effectivly increases.

If thas confused anyone then sorry i will draw some diagrams


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037733
Mobile Version of Website