Avid Code pistons stuck!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Avid Code pistons stuck!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 4:44 Quote
Hey there, I was changing my worn out brake pads, when I discovered that the pistons had to be pushed back. The problem is that they wont get as far back as they need so I cant fit the new pads. I called a bike shop for help, and they said that it might could have get some oil in the chambers, so I have to bleed the brake. So I need help, how do I bleed a Avid Code 07?

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 4:46 Quote
You just didnt do it right man.. My hayes did the same thing.. i havent had the go around with my new codes yet though...

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 6:29 Quote
buy a bleed kit and read the manual!!

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 6:42 Quote
well with avid brakes you have to bleed the lever and the caliper seprately. vs a hayes or shimano where you can just push it in one end ad out the other. just bleed it and it will be back to normal.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 6:45 Quote
here's the pdf to bleed codes...it starts on page 9

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/AVI.CODE.INST.TRANS.01.pdf

here's a vid to bleed juicy 7s....it's the same procedure

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 6:47 Quote
xxburton4lifexx wrote:
well with avid brakes you have to bleed the lever and the caliper seprately. vs a hayes or shimano where you can just push it in one end ad out the other. just bleed it and it will be back to normal.

wrong

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 6:57 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
xxburton4lifexx wrote:

wrong
well if you read the manual thats what it tells you what to do. and it works fine

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 7:14 Quote
xxburton4lifexx wrote:
pipes10 wrote:
xxburton4lifexx wrote:

wrong
well if you read the manual thats what it tells you what to do. and it works fine

i have read it...i can see what u are saying but ultimately u are pushing fluid from the caliper to the lever body...yeah, i wasn't thinking....i guess i have just being doing it for a while and don;t think of it

here's the manual for the avid line for the op

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/dealers/TM_MY08_E.pdf

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 7:23 Quote
the way avid puts it is your throw your equipment on. Close the lever.. Thus cutting off any flow into the lever. Then you Bleed the caliper.......then open the lever, bleeding the line.. Then you bleed the lever..

pretty sure thats doing each section at a time?? correct me if i am wrong.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 7:24 Quote
knobzy wrote:
the way avid puts it is your throw your equipment on. Close the lever.. Thus cutting off any flow into the lever. Then you Bleed the caliper.......then open the lever, bleeding the line.. Then you bleed the lever..

pretty sure thats doing each section at a time?? correct me if i am wrong.

yeah i just edited my post

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 23:22 Quote
make sure the pad contact adjuster is all the way "IN"

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 23:25 Quote
this happend to me and and i took them to a bike shop toget the new pads put in and all they did was take a tinnnnyyy bit of oil out and the pistons moved back and they fit the new pads in !

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 at 3:27 Quote
I have bleeded it, but still didn't worked. So I'm taking it to a bike shop to see what they can do about it.

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 at 9:48 Quote
like what i said all you have to do is take a little bit of oil out of the hose.

Posted: Aug 25, 2008 at 23:46 Quote
I was bleeding my code and sudenly one of the pistons fell out, wftÅ? I'm going to take it to a bike shop and ask them what i can do..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010804
Mobile Version of Website