Hayes nine lever pulled out of socket, give advice please

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hayes nine lever pulled out of socket, give advice please
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 11:23 Quote
I crashed recently and the ball on my lever of th brake
broke its socket, so now each time i let go of th lever, it goes out of reach, which isnt good for dh!! the brake still works, but each time im not using it th lever just flops about th whole place. any tips or advice on how to fix this without taking it to a shop or buying a new brake all-together? the pictures should explain th situation.
photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 11:31 Quote
that happend to my giant mph i just used rubber bands

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 11:41 Quote
ratherberidin wrote:
that happend to my giant mph i just used rubber bands
where nd howd u put th rubber bands in?

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 11:48 Quote
You don't need to replace the lever.It looks like you lost the c-clip and washer that holds the push rod ball end inside the lever.Your local shop should have them.If not you can go to a machine shop and they may be able to help you.You will need c-clip pliers to install the clip and washer.You also may have unthread the push
rod to get at things.
Have a good one !

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 13:48 Quote
u might have scrached the ball so it will be too small that what happend to me but i just put rubber band around the lever to the bar (cheap fix)

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
ratherberidin wrote:
u might have scrached the ball so it will be too small that what happend to me but i just put rubber band around the lever to the bar (cheap fix)
are you serious lol? take it to the shop and get it fixed it wont cost much, isnt ghetto, and your brake will work even if the rubber band snaps..

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 21:44 Quote
haha.
the exact same thing happend to me.
and it was on a stinky too.
you have to go in to the bike shop and get a new part to hold the screw in.
well thats what they did for mine.

and the rubber band idea does work but not in the long term.
id just go and get it fixed

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:20 Quote
seriosly rubber bands cost like 2 cents and can last as long as u have the bike just carry extra

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:23 Quote
ratherberidin wrote:
seriosly rubber bands cost like 2 cents and can last as long as u have the bike just carry extra
yea well it kinda felt weird for me.
and i just decided to fix it.
i think it cost like maybe 2 bucks

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:26 Quote
ya bbut i have no time and my bike shop suck!!! 2 days a go they told my it wood take a week to replace a headset but i know some one who works there so he toook the tools to me and i did it in 5

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:27 Quote
boultz16 wrote:
ratherberidin wrote:
yea well it kinda felt weird for me.
and i just decided to fix it.
i think it cost like maybe 2 bucks
exactly. who would rather run some ghetto setup and carry extra elastics than spend a few dollars and fix it properly.i bet i can find enough money to fix it under the seat of my car.

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:28 Quote
ratherberidin wrote:
ya bbut i have no time and my bike shop suck!!! 2 days a go they told my it wood take a week to replace a headset but i know some one who works there so he toook the tools to me and i did it in 5
haha yea
bike shops can be like that sometimes.
but whatever i pretty much have to go in there at least once a week.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:29 Quote
dont hate my ways i've never had more than 2 days without a bike this and last year

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:36 Quote
ratherberidin wrote:
dont hate my ways i've never had more than 2 days without a bike this and last year
whatever works i guess. I dont have that problem cause im a bike mechanic so my bike always is first in line to get fixed aslong as im not lazy.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:42 Quote
ya but ur taking to a 14 year old who didnt know what a bb was last year and now i have compleatly tooken apart an rebuilt my p.3 3 times and my trek session 77 about 5 in the past year

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014834
Mobile Version of Website