Why should English Pinkbike members be forced to choose 'United Kingdom' as their nationality?

PB Forum :: Bug Reports
Why should English Pinkbike members be forced to choose 'United Kingdom' as their nationality?
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 4:41 Quote
OK, can I get a something out of the way first;
to 'you-can-ride-my-kona', I have dealt with many Canadians over the years and you guys go off like a 5 year old who can't get some sweets (or 'candy' for our over-the-pond bretherin) if anyone says "so, your from America eh?" so don't start to preach about us getting in a strop. Also, the homophobic bit was a nice touch, always remember kiddies, when you've not got a good comeback just call someone 'gay', you'll have them reeling!!. I think he's just frightened to try it in case he likes it.

Ok, having got that off my chest I must admit I that I get annoyed when people assume I'm from somewhere and get it wrong, and I sympathise with Canadians. For example, on a smaller scale; I'm a Geordie and proud of it, and must admit It get's my back up when people say 'oh, you're from Sunderland' because of my accent, likewise I'm sure my Sunderland friends will agree when the reverse happens, but we don't hate each other (except on derby days).

Big scale; I am ENGLISH and proud of it, yes I live in the UK, but the English part of it.
Before anyone starts, can I let you know that my wife is Scotch (sorry, I know it winds you up but couldn't resist), I am part Irish on my mothers side of the family and can trace my family tree to German origins so I have seen things from many different standpoints over the years, and this is what I've learnt;

Scottish, Welsh and Irish have a massive pride in their cultures and home countries, as do most of the people around the world, we English don't. As individuals we have massive pride, but as a nation it is sorely lacking. But I want to claim mine!!.

Please PinkBike, give me the option to choose English, or at least British (that's a whole new rant right there!)

Thanks for reading this, I hope I didn't waste all your time today and please remember;
There Are 2 Types Of People In This World, Those Who Are Geordies And Those Who Wish They Were.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 4:45 Quote
gadmack wrote:
The Scots and the Welsh have the option to choose their own home nation, which they tend to do, even though their passports are British! And yet I can not choose 'English' my only choice is 'United Kingdom'. I just think this is really unfair and slightly racist.

(This thread is by no means a dig at Scottish or Welsh members of the site, so get over it!)

ha ha here is a fact,the welsh flag is actually politically incorrect as back in the old days when the english over threw the welsh king the welsh agreed to be part of the british isles,and give up there national flag so technically speaking the welsh dont have a flag and should be locked up for fliying there flag.

and i prefer the union jack.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 4:50 Quote
personally ive never noticed and dont honestly care, as england is being ruined both by the ignorant inhabitants, and by our idiot rulers.

rant over, go england!!!Eek

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 4:55 Quote
I always thought England did have their own national flag on Pinkbike but I thought they just regarded themselves more British than English.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 4:59 Quote
ilikemybike011 wrote:
extention wrote:
Have you not heard the saying "Whinging poms" before? we use it all the time in Australia

lol

lol lol

Yea but you guys should have the right to fly your flag on Pinkbike... Good luck to you. Beer

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 5:32 Quote
chomers wrote:
you-can-ride-my-kona wrote:
wow!!!! its Racist! omg you british people realy make me want to throw up! its just a litle mistake get over. no wonder you guys are the gay capital of the world!Fab

You my friend, are stupid.
agree with^^^ - theres a shedload of finooks in vancouver mate. and dont make comments like that when your profile states:
I'm an attractive male, playful personality. I enjoy moonlight dinners and romantic walks on the beach.
fag.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 5:33 Quote
TheShad wrote:
OK, can I get a something out of the way first;
to 'you-can-ride-my-kona', I have dealt with many Canadians over the years and you guys go off like a 5 year old who can't get some sweets (or 'candy' for our over-the-pond bretherin) if anyone says "so, your from America eh?" so don't start to preach about us getting in a strop. Also, the homophobic bit was a nice touch, always remember kiddies, when you've not got a good comeback just call someone 'gay', you'll have them reeling!!. I think he's just frightened to try it in case he likes it.

Ok, having got that off my chest I must admit I that I get annoyed when people assume I'm from somewhere and get it wrong, and I sympathise with Canadians. For example, on a smaller scale; I'm a Geordie and proud of it, and must admit It get's my back up when people say 'oh, you're from Sunderland' because of my accent, likewise I'm sure my Sunderland friends will agree when the reverse happens, but we don't hate each other (except on derby days).

Big scale; I am ENGLISH and proud of it, yes I live in the UK, but the English part of it.
Before anyone starts, can I let you know that my wife is Scotch (sorry, I know it winds you up but couldn't resist), I am part Irish on my mothers side of the family and can trace my family tree to German origins so I have seen things from many different standpoints over the years, and this is what I've learnt;

Scottish, Welsh and Irish have a massive pride in their cultures and home countries, as do most of the people around the world, we English don't. As individuals we have massive pride, but as a nation it is sorely lacking. But I want to claim mine!!.

Please PinkBike, give me the option to choose English, or at least British (that's a whole new rant right there!)

Thanks for reading this, I hope I didn't waste all your time today and please remember;
There Are 2 Types Of People In This World, Those Who Are Geordies And Those Who Wish They Were.

Fully agree, Is it my imagination or does out wonderful government seem to want to remove national pride for fear of being branded racist?

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 5:46 Quote
It`s interesting to see how many non British residents have commented on this thread, but they themselves come from nations that have internal nationality divides....

If it isn`t an option for YOU then surely if UK residents a British passport you are British?
I don`t mean to be racial, I have Welsh parentage many years, ago but have never considered myself Welsh. Also why do so many people that live in Berwick upon Tweed think they are Scottish? It has been in England for well over a century now....

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 5:49 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.uk.filo.pl/england_colour_map.gifAs you can see England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are different countries the Welsh get to display their nationality through choosing their own flag, so do the Scots and the Northern Irish too. Why not the English?

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 5:57 Quote
sykesy wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.uk.filo.pl/england_colour_map.gifAs you can see England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are different countries the Welsh get to display their nationality through choosing their own flag, so do the Scots and the Northern Irish too. Why not the English?
what about the isle of man???Madder Madder
on a more serious note, i agree. i have mostly irish and scottish lineage and i'd hate to be branded british after what they did to the scottish(watch brave heart) and irish(the reason the IRA existed and why ireland is split into 2 "countries" now). although i would hate to be branded british for these reasons, i have nothing against brits(the english to be politically correct) because the ones i meet in the flesh now had no part in what happened a century or more ago so therefore it would be ignorant to hold it against them.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 6:02 Quote
lol, thats all i can say

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 6:12 Quote
lewismoore-7 wrote:
is kind of racist too!
LMAO it's hardly racist.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 6:21 Quote
I would class my self as British. I was born in England and lived there untill I was 11 and then moved up to Scotland where I have happily spent my life so far amongst lovely people. The Scottish always winge about this kind of thing Rolleyes . It's good to hear the English taking some pride but please don't become as annoying as some over patriotic Scots. tup

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 6:24 Quote
marquis wrote:
gadmack wrote:
The Scots and the Welsh have the option to choose their own home nation, which they tend to do, even though their passports are British! And yet I can not choose 'English' my only choice is 'United Kingdom'. I just think this is really unfair and slightly racist.

(This thread is by no means a dig at Scottish or Welsh members of the site, so get over it!)

ha ha here is a fact,the welsh flag is actually politically incorrect as back in the old days when the english over threw the welsh king the welsh agreed to be part of the british isles,and give up there national flag so technically speaking the welsh dont have a flag and should be locked up for fliying there flag.

and i prefer the union jack.

where did you get that from..?
if that had actually happened i'm pretty sure the welsh flag would have been actually banned or outlawed or whatever. could be true though.
for instance the welsh flag isn't part of the union jack which I (and many other welsh people) find weird.

^ though that is kind of irrelevant

I myself am proud to be welsh (and half italian) which is why i chose Wales as my country rather than britain. I think the english should also have that choice (or if not [for some reason] then we should all be 'British')

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012080
Mobile Version of Website