Powered by Outside

If i cut and reweld my trek 820 frame how much weeker will it be?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
If i cut and reweld my trek 820 frame how much weeker will it be?
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
thats all i want to now. i just want to shorten it up a bit by moving the rear end bars and then a part of the middle pole that the seat post goes it. how much will this afect the overall frame?

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
mooseman180 wrote:
thats all i want to now. i just want to shorten it up a bit by moving the rear end bars and then a part of the middle pole that the seat post goes it. how much will this afect the overall frame?

dude.

are you doing this yourself? maybe not the best idea. it will weaken it a ton i'd imagine. gusset the hell out of it, or just buy a new frame.

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:28 Quote
dont feed the trolls

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:32 Quote
nwd26 wrote:
mooseman180 wrote:
thats all i want to now. i just want to shorten it up a bit by moving the rear end bars and then a part of the middle pole that the seat post goes it. how much will this afect the overall frame?

dude.

are you doing this yourself? maybe not the best idea. it will weaken it a ton i'd imagine. gusset the hell out of it, or just buy a new frame.

well my brother would be doing the welding. i see how it might weeken the frame. do you think the frame could take some dirt jumps just normal. cuz if so i wouldnt mess with it. but i dont know it was just a hand me down from a close friend and now i got a new bike but i need somthing to jump..

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:33 Quote
DJ28 wrote:
dont feed the trolls

uh? i think its a legit question?

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:33 Quote
freeridr91 wrote:
dont do it
so you think it will totaly weeken the frame?

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:35 Quote
i think it would split in half and you fall back onto it and it impail you through the heart, over all bad idea

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:35 Quote
mooseman180 wrote:
well my brother would be doing the welding. i see how it might weeken the frame. do you think the frame could take some dirt jumps just normal. cuz if so i wouldnt mess with it. but i dont know it was just a hand me down from a close friend and now i got a new bike but i need somthing to jump..

put it this way - unless your brother welds for a living, don't bother. and i for sure wouldn't be hucking gnar on it, it's not a stellar frame to begin with, and cutting it up won't help.

post pics!

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
nwd26 wrote:
mooseman180 wrote:
well my brother would be doing the welding. i see how it might weeken the frame. do you think the frame could take some dirt jumps just normal. cuz if so i wouldnt mess with it. but i dont know it was just a hand me down from a close friend and now i got a new bike but i need somthing to jump..

put it this way - unless your brother welds for a living, don't bother. and i for sure wouldn't be hucking gnar on it, it's not a stellar frame to begin with, and cutting it up won't help.

post pics!
well he doesnt. and i wouldnt be hucking anything over about 5 feet. just somthing to mess around with. ill post pics tommarow. my camara has to charge..

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
nyterider wrote:
i think it would split in half and you fall back onto it and it impail you through the heart, over all bad idea
thatd suck. so i guess im not ganna. i still have to think. lol

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
Bad idea, find a different frame.

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
what year and what forks are on your bike?- off topic

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 21:07 Quote
El-Pinto wrote:
Bad idea, find a different frame.
why do you say that?

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 21:07 Quote
Flatulant-Primate wrote:
what year and what forks are on your bike?- off topic

uhm i couldnt tell you exactly its pretty old...ill look tommarow or thursday and see what i can get. why?

Previous Page |

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008354
Mobile Version of Website