Can Spoiled Kids Ride?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Can Spoiled Kids Ride?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 6:52 Quote
I may be one of these 'spoilt kids', but I want to just tell my story.

I come from a pretty well off family, I go to a private school and so do my siblings. My parents both work full time, and I got into MTBing through my dad, and I now join him on weekend rides with his mates.

The most money I've has spent on me by my parents for a bike is £400, for a second hand bike. £400. $600.

I now rode a 2014 Trance 27.5 1. I have paid for every penny of the cost of that bike, with no money at all being contributed from my parents. I was able to pay for this bike through putting aside 4 months of wages from my job at a bike shop, with me only taking one day's worth of pay per month in order to pay for this bike. I found that job myself, with no fair play in me getting to where I am. I got that job because I love bikes, and I love my job.

I value my bike more than any bike I have had before or since. I just so happens that my family are well off, so I feel offended when people label me as a 'rich kid'. I have earned my bike as much as anyone else.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 7:06 Quote
ddfc wrote:
I may be one of these 'spoilt kids', but I want to just tell my story.

I come from a pretty well off family, I go to a private school and so do my siblings. My parents both work full time, and I got into MTBing through my dad, and I now join him on weekend rides with his mates.

The most money I've has spent on me by my parents for a bike is £400, for a second hand bike. £400. $600.

I now rode a 2014 Trance 27.5 1. I have paid for every penny of the cost of that bike, with no money at all being contributed from my parents. I was able to pay for this bike through putting aside 4 months of wages from my job at a bike shop, with me only taking one day's worth of pay per month in order to pay for this bike. I found that job myself, with no fair play in me getting to where I am. I got that job because I love bikes, and I love my job.

I value my bike more than any bike I have had before or since. I just so happens that my family are well off, so I feel offended when people label me as a 'rich kid'. I have earned my bike as much as anyone else.

I respect that 100% you havent been treat any differently than most because of your familys financial position, good job on the savings!

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 7:07 Quote
I dont care how people get thier bikes aslong as its legal and they enjoy riding it , sure if they are dicks about it then they can f*ck off but wouldnt any parent buy their kids a bike if they could afford it ? I come froma fairly poor family and didnt get a brand new bike till I started working , does that mean I deserve it more or less than some one who was given one ? I don't think so

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 7:09 Quote
bigburd wrote:
I dont care how people get thier bikes aslong as its legal and they enjoy riding it , sure if they are dicks about it then they can f*ck off but wouldnt any parent buy their kids a bike if they could afford it ? I come froma fairly poor family and didnt get a brand new bike till I started working , does that mean I deserve it more or less than some one who was given one ? I don't think so

Again I agree, in my opinion if I have saved for a bike then I feel more pride in it and too look after it

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 8:07 Quote
unwindingcarrot wrote:
i think this guy means those bratty rich kids noone likes because momy and daddy have handed them everything they have ever wanted to they dont have a job go around and brag. the ones that as soon as mommy and daddy cut off the money they fall on their face ect.. i hope ur getting my drift on what kind of rich kids. i have kids and will spoil them but to a point there are still life lessons they need to learn like the meaning of money and that you have to work for things you want not just point at them and go i want it. and to answer the question of the forum i beleive it depends on the kid. not weather he is spoiled or not but weather he got the bike because he loves riding or just got the bike because he had nothing better to buy or was jeleouse a couple buddys had something he didnt so had to wave money around to have more things than they did.

The thing is having money or not doesn't teach you humility you can still be 'that' guy at on the trail who brags about his top of the line bike and kit if you got money or not. I guess the basic rule of life is dont be a twat money or not. but I do agree bragging about what you got aint cool.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 11:24 Quote
Being rich and having lots of things doesnt make you a brat. There are plenty of poor people who bought a really nice car on a loan and will be a "brat" and brag about it. I have some friends who have extremley wealthy parents and even though those kids might have really nice cars and cool things, they are still straight up Nice dudes.

If you make fun of the kids who have a nice bike but can only ride the blue trails, then your a bit of a dick for ruining their fun. If they can afford a nice bike and they're having fun, then who are you to be a dick to them. You know that if you had the money you would have done the same.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 12:03 Quote
pm148 wrote:
Being rich and having lots of things doesnt make you a brat. There are plenty of poor people who bought a really nice car on a loan and will be a "brat" and brag about it. I have some friends who have extremley wealthy parents and even though those kids might have really nice cars and cool things, they are still straight up Nice dudes.

If you make fun of the kids who have a nice bike but can only ride the blue trails, then your a bit of a dick for ruining their fun. If they can afford a nice bike and they're having fun, then who are you to be a dick to them. You know that if you had the money you would have done the same.

+1

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 12:19 Quote
Don't judge kids on their bike before they ride. I myself, 2 years ago asked for only cash for my bday to buy a $500 xc bike. Once I out rode that I sold it for more than I bought it, I've made money by doing that and in result have a nice ride. I did borrow money from time to time with my parents which I hate doing, to buy a good deal and resell, but I always paid them back w interest. You really don't know, though its pretty obvious based on someone's riding if that $5000 carbon superbike is deserved or not by seeing that person ride.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.220568
Mobile Version of Website