Fox 40 RC2 Rebound issues - see if you can solve this one!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 40 RC2 Rebound issues - see if you can solve this one!
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 22:58 Quote
okay okay i read it... i can do it myself! sweeeeet! or atleast i can swap the seals myself idk about takeing the whole damper apart might be a little scary. what do you think i sohuld do?[/Quote]

What should you do? Well its something you shouldn't mess with if you don't have the slightest idea what to do. Leave it to the guys at the shop that do. Its a pretty complicated
fix!

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 7:25 Quote
peach wrote:
okay okay i read it... i can do it myself! sweeeeet! or atleast i can swap the seals myself idk about takeing the whole damper apart might be a little scary. what do you think i sohuld do?

What should you do? Well its something you shouldn't mess with if you don't have the slightest idea what to do. Leave it to the guys at the shop that do. Its a pretty complicated
fix!

Agreed. No offence but you're 14. I don't know may 14 year olds that can even tune a derailleur. Bleeding you damper is pretty serious and a lot more complicated than bleeding hydraulic brakes. Just remember if you take it a part, wreck something, or don't put it back together right you'll be left holding the bag. You're probably better off letting the shop do the damper even if the seals went okay for you.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 15:41 Quote
bullitxl wrote:
peach wrote:
okay okay i read it... i can do it myself! sweeeeet! or atleast i can swap the seals myself idk about takeing the whole damper apart might be a little scary. what do you think i sohuld do?

fix!

Agreed. No offence but you're 14. I don't know may 14 year olds that can even tune a derailleur. Bleeding you damper is pretty serious and a lot more complicated than bleeding hydraulic brakes. Just remember if you take it a part, wreck something, or don't put it back together right you'll be left holding the bag. You're probably better off letting the shop do the damper even if the seals went okay for you.

Okay I'm not flaming or mad at you or anything but here's the thing: Who give a shit if I'm 14? I can tune derailleurs all day if I wanted to! You probably are right that the fork might be a little too much for me, whatever that's cool I'll take it in I think that's great advice. I hate it when people think of me as a useless sack of shit because I'm "14" Sure there are a ton of 14 year olds out there that can't do a thing but I'm not one of them. I can easily service my bottom bracket, pull my cranks out, swap chainrings, install chainguides, install chains, rebuild the frame, swap forks (dual crowns too) swap stems, handlebars, install derailleurs, and pretty much everything else exept I have trouble with the brake hoses and bleeding them. I'm in total agreement that the fork is too much for me, you are definitely right about that considering bleeding brakes is a little hard for me. I'm in agreement with you there. But I DISagree that just because I'm 14 I can't do anything. And yes, I have taken stuff apart that I can't get together that's how I learned to service and build my bike... trial and error because my parent's aren't mechanically inclined so I have to learn it all myself especially when I can't afford to take my bike in. I'm not mad at you at all I'm just stating that in some cases people should not be judged by age. I could understand it if we were talking about politics or something along those lines because most 14 year olds haven't seen the world enough to get a good grasp of what is going on. But this subject is different. So once again I'm not mad or anything I'm just trying to make a point so please don't think of me as a bratty little 14 year old because I don't want to be one, and I'm just making a point, that's all.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 15:55 Quote
andrewrideskona wrote:
bullitxl wrote:
peach wrote:

fix!

Okay I'm not flaming or mad at you or anything but here's the thing: Who give a shit if I'm 14? I can tune derailleurs all day if I wanted to! You probably are right that the fork might be a little too much for me, whatever that's cool I'll take it in I think that's great advice. I hate it when people think of me as a useless sack of shit because I'm "14" Sure there are a ton of 14 year olds out there that can't do a thing but I'm not one of them. I can easily service my bottom bracket, pull my cranks out, swap chainrings, install chainguides, install chains, rebuild the frame, swap forks (dual crowns too) swap stems, handlebars, install derailleurs, and pretty much everything else exept I have trouble with the brake hoses and bleeding them. I'm in total agreement that the fork is too much for me, you are definitely right about that considering bleeding brakes is a little hard for me. I'm in agreement with you there. But I DISagree that just because I'm 14 I can't do anything. And yes, I have taken stuff apart that I can't get together that's how I learned to service and build my bike... trial and error because my parent's aren't mechanically inclined so I have to learn it all myself especially when I can't afford to take my bike in. I'm not mad at you at all I'm just stating that in some cases people should not be judged by age. I could understand it if we were talking about politics or something along those lines because most 14 year olds haven't seen the world enough to get a good grasp of what is going on. But this subject is different. So once again I'm not mad or anything I'm just trying to make a point so please don't think of me as a bratty little 14 year old because I don't want to be one, and I'm just making a point, that's all.

well said champ. im no older then 14 and i took apart my 888 complety and put them back togther,

when you are this dedicated towards bikes, age has nothing to do with it. i have built a faith from the ground up, and an SX trail from the ground up. my rear hub is on its way, and im lacing the wheel up myself.

im a big king, i feel people who are not as mechanically inclined as me are inferior wastes of human life, and should recycle their bikes only before they jump off a bridge into a pool of alligators.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 17:46 Quote
princeofthenorth wrote:
andrewrideskona wrote:
bullitxl wrote:

well said champ. im no older then 14 and i took apart my 888 complety and put them back togther,

when you are this dedicated towards bikes, age has nothing to do with it. i have built a faith from the ground up, and an SX trail from the ground up. my rear hub is on its way, and im lacing the wheel up myself.

im a big king, i feel people who are not as mechanically inclined as me are inferior wastes of human life, and should recycle their bikes only before they jump off a bridge into a pool of alligators.
age has alot to do with it, its called experience. that being said yes at 14 you can learn to do pretty much all those things, but its not often you find a 14 year old who can... coincidence... no. sounds like you need a boxxer world cup to me. same great feel as the 40, nice and light, and doesnt suck poo like the taiwanese 888's.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 17:51 Quote
swiftpain wrote:
princeofthenorth wrote:
andrewrideskona wrote:

age has alot to do with it, its called experience. that being said yes at 14 you can learn to do pretty much all those things, but its not often you find a 14 year old who can... coincidence... no. sounds like you need a boxxer world cup to me. same great feel as the 40, nice and light, and doesnt suck poo like the taiwanese 888's.

its not often you find an adult who is prepared to take apart their investments either.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 17:53 Quote
princeofthenorth wrote:
swiftpain wrote:
princeofthenorth wrote:

its not often you find an adult who is prepared to take apart their investments either.
06 888? well i can tell you that you will be disapointed in the fork coming from a 40 to that.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
swiftpain wrote:
princeofthenorth wrote:
swiftpain wrote:

06 888? well i can tell you that you will be disapointed in the fork coming from a 40 to that.

no haha, i had an 06 888. made in italy.

ive met more adults who where scared about working on their own bikes then kids. so your taling out of your ass bigtime.

most of the young people do good jobs that are meeting the level, if not exceeding those of professionals in efficancy and over all reasult.

you

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:12 Quote
princeofthenorth wrote:
swiftpain wrote:
princeofthenorth wrote:

no haha, i had an 06 888. made in italy.

ive met more adults who where scared about working on their own bikes then kids. so your taling out of your ass bigtime.

most of the young people do good jobs that are meeting the level, if not exceeding those of professionals in efficancy and over all reasult.

you
lmfao kid you dont know shit. I was trying to be nice and all and understand what you were saying but since you want to be a dick, i can return the favor. Most of the young people do SHIT jobs and arent not even close to the level of "professionals". EVERYDAY I see bike after bike roll into our shop (one of the biggest in canada) becase either some 14 year old kid couldnt fix it, or tried to fix it and made it worse. Ive worked in a bike shop since was 14 or 15 and when i first started i thought i knew everything and thought i coudl fix bikes but you know what i got to wash bikes all summer cause i didnt know JACK. It takes along time to become a good mechanic and judging by the fact you cant even bleed a brake (very basic mechanics assuming you have the tools for the job) I can tell your knowledge and mechanical skills are lacking.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:16 Quote
bigquoteslmfao kid you dont know shit. I was trying to be nice and all and understand what you were saying but since you want to be a dick, i can return the favor. Most of the young people do SHIT jobs and arent not even close to the level of "professionals". EVERYDAY I see bike after bike roll into our shop (one of the biggest in canada) becase either some 14 year old kid couldnt fix it, or tried to fix it and made it worse. Ive worked in a bike shop since was 14 or 15 and when i first started i thought i knew everything and thought i coudl fix bikes but you know what i got to wash bikes all summer cause i didnt know JACK. It takes along time to become a good mechanic and judging by the fact you cant even bleed a brake (very basic mechanics assuming you have the tools for the job) I can tell your knowledge and mechanical skills are lackin

now you are talking out of your ass, because you dont even know me. just becuase on 14 year old cant do something doesnt mean shit to want a person complety different can do.

the only thing i cant do becuase i have never tried is remove a lower headset cup. anything else, i can do. if you wanna bet, your one. Really Mad

haha

lets have a mechanics game of bike, to see who can preform a certain job faster.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
princeofthenorth wrote:
bigquoteslmfao kid you dont know shit. I was trying to be nice and all and understand what you were saying but since you want to be a dick, i can return the favor. Most of the young people do SHIT jobs and arent not even close to the level of "professionals". EVERYDAY I see bike after bike roll into our shop (one of the biggest in canada) becase either some 14 year old kid couldnt fix it, or tried to fix it and made it worse. Ive worked in a bike shop since was 14 or 15 and when i first started i thought i knew everything and thought i coudl fix bikes but you know what i got to wash bikes all summer cause i didnt know JACK. It takes along time to become a good mechanic and judging by the fact you cant even bleed a brake (very basic mechanics assuming you have the tools for the job) I can tell your knowledge and mechanical skills are lackin

now you are talking out of your ass, because you dont even know me. just becuase on 14 year old cant do something doesnt mean shit to want a person complety different can do.

the only thing i cant do becuase i have never tried is remove a lower headset cup. anything else, i can do. if you wanna bet, your one. Really Mad

haha

lets have a mechanics game of bike, to see who can preform a certain job faster.
so you already admitted you couldnt bleed a brake, but now apparently you can... as for removing a lower headset cup well if you knew anythign you would know its the same as the top to remove and its a VERY BASIC job. I have worked in a shop for ummm 3 years now and you honestly think you can out wrench me? Im not even saying im an amazing mechanic or anything, but just the fact that i work on bikes for a living must say something to you, apparently not if you think because you can tune your derailluer as you put it, you exceed the pros HAHAHHA

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
swiftpain wrote:
princeofthenorth wrote:

haha

so you already admitted you couldnt bleed a brake, but now apparently you can... as for removing a lower headset cup well if you knew anythign you would know its the same as the top to remove and its a VERY BASIC job. I have worked in a shop for ummm 3 years now and you honestly think you can out wrench me? Im not even saying im an amazing mechanic or anything, but just the fact that i work on bikes for a living must say something to you, apparently not if you think because you can tune your derailluer as you put it, you exceed the pros HAHAHHA

challenge accepted. and ya no shit its the same, its just harder when you dont have the right tool. i used my hands and twisted out the top cup and couldnt get a good grip on the other one.

where shall we start for our game?Smile

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
andrewrideskona wrote:
bullitxl wrote:
peach wrote:

fix!

I have trouble with the brake hoses and bleeding them. I'm in total agreement that the fork is too much for me, you are definitely right about that considering bleeding brakes is a little hard for me. .
liar liar pants on fire!!!

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
princeofthenorth wrote:
swiftpain wrote:
princeofthenorth wrote:

haha

challenge accepted. and ya no shit its the same, its just harder when you dont have the right tool. i used my hands and twisted out the top cup and couldnt get a good grip on the other one.

LOL. you mean to tell me you twisted out a headset cup from a frame with your hand... hahahaha keep talking man your entertaining me.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:25 Quote
[Quote="swiftpain"]
princeofthenorth wrote:
swiftpain wrote:

challenge accepted.

LOL. you mean to tell me you twisted out a headset cup from a frame with your hand... hahahaha keep talking man your entertaining me.

ill make a video next time i switch frames.

you keep laughing, lets take this to another thread

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013186
Mobile Version of Website