Whats better for your fitness: Running or Biking?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Whats better for your fitness: Running or Biking?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 2:10 Quote
I always hear different thing from everyone on pinkbike. Runnings better than biking for exercise or that biking is better than running.

My question is which one is better overall for both your body and getting a good work out.
Personally i'd say that running is better because your constantly working your legs while biking you are but there are periods where your just riding and not doing anything.

so what do you guys think is better?
or is it all really a personal preference

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 2:13 Quote
I hate running. It takes too long to get anywhere.

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 2:17 Quote
It depends what type of biking you do, i'd guess.

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 2:20 Quote
smoking, smiling and riding....

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 2:20 Quote
Doing lots of running espcially on roads and pavements can really dammage your knees over time and you will pay for it when you are old. Cycling is much better for you imo.

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 2:54 Quote
if running was any good no-one would have invented the bike! Seriously though if you do running I'd recommend cross country running as you get knackered quick without ruining your knees. It also strengthens your ankles over time very well. Humans are not designed to run on concrete or tarmac, if we were the pads on our feet would be 6 inches thick. tup

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:16 Quote
im probably going to do more of the biking
start biking to my local gym everyday hopefully i can stick to it

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:22 Quote
running is WAYY better for you, but i prefer riding. but i run to work on my endurance for racing

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:28 Quote
mustardman525 wrote:
running is WAYY better for you, but i prefer riding. but i run to work on my endurance for racing

lol see what i mean

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:30 Quote
mustardman525 wrote:

Negative.

Cycling is low impact (so is swimming) and therefore is better on your body then running.

And to get a good workout on a bike, don't take those breaks that you were talking about.

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:31 Quote
trurida wrote:
mustardman525 wrote:

lol see what i mean
also running requires your own weight as resistance while riding a bike you have wheels to keep you moving

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:32 Quote
mustardman525 wrote:
trurida wrote:
mustardman525 wrote:

lol see what i mean
also running requires your own weight as resistance while riding a bike you have wheels to keep you moving

Stop, you are wrong. Cycling also uses your weight as resistance, I don't know why you could possibly think otherwise.

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:32 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
mustardman525 wrote:

Negative.

Cycling is low impact (so is swimming) and therefore is better on your body then running.

And to get a good workout on a bike, don't take those breaks that you were talking about.
oops, my bad i ment to say that you get a better workout from it

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:34 Quote
mustardman525 wrote:
vinceliberatore wrote:
mustardman525 wrote:

Negative.

The level of workout depends on how you are riding/running. I can burn a lot more calories on a stationary bike than I can running.

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:39 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
mustardman525 wrote:
vinceliberatore wrote:

Negative.

The level of workout depends on how you are riding/running. I can burn a lot more calories on a stationary bike than I can running.
i doubt it. unless the conditions were un-equal

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009239
Mobile Version of Website