sram x.9 or x.7

PB Forum :: SRAM
sram x.9 or x.7
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 19:53 Quote
I run an X.9 on my Ht and it works amaizingly. i havnt had one problem. I would recomend the X.9

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 20:01 Quote
X.9 its way better then the x 7

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 20:05 Quote
santacruzer1 wrote:
shadow

x.9

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 20:09 Quote
santacruzer1 wrote:
ultegra
x.9 Big Grin lol

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 20:17 Quote
Over it, SHADOW

THE END!!!!!

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 20:18 Quote
santacruzer1 wrote:
Over it, SHADOW

THE END!!!!!

Actually... I agree

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
This is retarted. How about we keep discussing?

I much prefer Sram to shimano, but thats just my opinion. I actually haven't broken any derailleurs, but i prefer the thumb shifting on the Sram, and i feel it shifts much crisper. It also seems like i never have to touch my Sram derailleur, but my shimano one i was always adjusting to keep it working right.
I say go for the Sram X.9 full set up if you have the cash, but if not go for x.7 derailleur, and x.9 shifters. You will notice more of a difference if you upgrade the shifters than if you upgrade the derailleur.

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
santacruzer1 wrote:
no my wheel was fine all spokes were true its only a month old they were all tight

you dont have to keep arguing that sram is better go ahead and buy it if your so sure.

Just my oppoion that shimano ultgera is way better.

yeah kids, don't waste your money on an x9, buy a 400$ shimano ultegra instead! the fact is this, sram has a 1.1 actuation ratio and shimano doesn't. therefor, shimano (no matter how smooth whichever set-up you have shifts) will never be as precise as it *could* be. the x9 is a great product but some people prefer shimano. that really doesn't matter though since this is comparing 2 sram products, not comparing shimano and sram. also, i for one take comfort in the fact that i won't be broke if i bust my x9 - it's less than 100$ to get a replacement.

on topic, i would get an x9 over an x7 for the reassurance of durability and better product for a slightly higher price (i'm an all or nothing type of person).

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 at 21:00 Quote
I have ridden both x9 and x7 set ups last year.(and even have a 9.0sl group years ago)I agree that there is a difference in performance,the x 9 is better (and lighter) but on my rig I find I am hardly shifting. and after hammering 2 x9 derailers off a stick (or rock or what ever it was) into my wheel, I adopted the x7. It works great, its cheap, and if you break it you wont start crying. But of your made of money, and shift like a mad man .... x9.

(as much as I have had a hate on for shimano, I agree, many riders enjoy the performance of ultegra ... but if your going to put a road group on you bike you may as go campy record, much better.)

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 16:43 Quote
santacruzer1 wrote:
no but it sounds like to everyone else here likes sram and it is the, "Best" so i yea i dont recomend it but im saying buy it and u can find out after u waste ur money, i was right
Haha! Some guy gave me the same advice to buy a short cage ultegra instead of sram.....I never made a bigger mistake. The ultegra doesn't even shift half of the time! Sram is way better in every aspect. I'll never buy another shimano part in my life.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 12:28 Quote
santacruzer1 wrote:
S-shitty
R-rediculus
A-ass
M-biggest piece of crap in the world

go with shimano ultegra its a road duriller
shorter
faster shifting
and stronger
lighter???

Shimano derailleurs and shifters are total sh**. Every single bike my family has owned so far (thats 16 bikes) have all had Shimano drivetrains, and more than half of them are broken or bent.

On the 2 bikes we had that had lower-end Shimano intergrated controls (brake and shifter in one thing), the brake levers bent badly on every one. On one bike this was due to scraping the lever against a lamp post at low speed, and the other after a minor fall. Recently I bent the cage on a brand new XT Shadow derailleur, and I didn't crash, drop the bike, or hit anything with it. About 5 other Shimano derailleurs have broken or bent after a few months, some with 6 year-olds riding the bike! On top of that, the shifting quality is definately not as good as SRAM even on the high-end XTR models.

The SRAM shifters and derailleurs offer much more precise and quick shifting, and they are much more durable than Shimano components IMO. SRAM shifters are also better ergonomically designed and the shifting with the thumb instead of the 1st finger (like Shimano) is a much more comfortable design which also gives you more control of the bike because there are more fingers gripping the handlebars. I know on some Shimano shifters you can shift both ways (2-Way Release) but it really doesnt work as well or is as comfortable as the SRAM gear.

Shimano make a lot of great components, but when it comes to shifters and derailleurs they lose badly to SRAM.

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 17:01 Quote
Will I still get zero loss while running an x-7 derailleur and x-9 shifters?

Posted: Jul 12, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
yes. there's not too much difference between the derrailleurs except weight and a few composite parts rather then plastic (i think), it's the shifters that make it zero-loss

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.373978
Mobile Version of Website