which dh frame

PB Forum :: Downhill
which dh frame
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 11:04 Quote
will54869 wrote:
I am light 130lbs (wont crack frames), and would like a top notch dh frame. I currently have a 06 vp free with dh parts so i would sell the frame and put my parts on it. I would by the things i need to make the parts fit like headsets, bottombracket, hub, seatpost. HOPEFULLY LIGHT.

Socom? M3, giant, ventana, santacruz, commencal, turner, iron Horse, SWD, canfield, brooklyn, etc, any others?

Since you want a light bike, you can eliminate almost half of the frames you want. You have listed a wide variety of frames. You have listed some that are sub 9 pounds (Socom) and others that weigh about 13+ pounds. The V10, DHR and M3 are approximately 10.5 pounds claimed and Canfield’s weigh a claimed 12.5 pounds and the BMW is beef and probably weighs 13+. After taking the weight of the frame and eliminating the heavier frames, your next option is to sort them by price. Since you didn't post your budget, you will have to see if you have the money to build a DH bike up right. There is no sense in buying a kickass frame if all you can afford are mediocre parts. Therefore, you will have to compromise on the parts you want and the frame in order to build the bike right for you.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 15:58 Quote
4xer wrote:
will54869 wrote:
I am light 130lbs (wont crack frames), and would like a top notch dh frame. I currently have a 06 vp free with dh parts so i would sell the frame and put my parts on it. I would by the things i need to make the parts fit like headsets, bottombracket, hub, seatpost. HOPEFULLY LIGHT.

Socom? M3, giant, ventana, santacruz, commencal, turner, iron Horse, SWD, canfield, brooklyn, etc, any others?

Since you want a light bike, you can eliminate almost half of the frames you want. You have listed a wide variety of frames. You have listed some that are sub 9 pounds (Socom) and others that weigh about 13+ pounds. The V10, DHR and M3 are approximately 10.5 pounds claimed and Canfield’s weigh a claimed 12.5 pounds and the BMW is beef and probably weighs 13+. After taking the weight of the frame and eliminating the heavier frames, your next option is to sort them by price. Since you didn't post your budget, you will have to see if you have the money to build a DH bike up right. There is no sense in buying a kickass frame if all you can afford are mediocre parts. Therefore, you will have to compromise on the parts you want and the frame in order to build the bike right for you.

I already have all the parts to build a nice dh bike. They are off an 06 vp free with 07 parts. Fox 40s, avid 7s dhx 5.0(going to get air), dt wheels, shit cranks (raceface), shit handlebar(raceface), Shit stem (fsa gap), heavy bashguard e13. I am looking for something more nimble but you can really change all these bikes by dropping the forks a bit, so that shouldnt be a problem. I rode a freinds v10 and it was basically all i wanted in a dh bike. 34lbs, low, a little twitchy but point and shoot nimble, good pedaling (dhx air), good bump absorbtion v(10"), and it didnt exactly stick to the ground either, which i like.u could pop of a 2 or 3 inch lip if u needed to.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 16:11 Quote
If you can make a trip up to Canada or talk to a Canadian shop take a look at the Devinci Wilson 4. Comes with a DHX 5 Air (9.1") and is 8.8 pounds for the frame. Mine built up stands around 37 pounds now with an old outdated Dorado and Gustav brakes.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 16:18 Quote
For your size, and if your going for light and nimble. I'd go with the Socom, Its a light bike designed for DH, and you wont break it. One step (heavier) up would be the M3, M6, V10 ,Glory, and Sunday. They are all pretty similar.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 16:18 Quote
i have an 07 judge it is the best dh rig i have ever had and it is top notch. not sure how much you are willing to spend but rear shcok and frame is 3000.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 16:31 Quote
will54869 wrote:
I rode a freinds v10 and it was basically all i wanted in a dh bike. 34lbs, low, a little twitchy but point and shoot nimble, good pedaling (dhx air), good bump absorbtion v(10"), and it didnt exactly stick to the ground either, which i like.

A 34lbs V10, I'm not sure if it is possible!

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 16:54 Quote
wrote:
A 34lbs V10, I'm not sure if it is possible!
Ya its possible, tubeless, dt, syntace, dhx air, 40s, small frame, xt cranks/brakes, xtr shifter, gamut, tioga spyder, thompson. pointone (pointoneracing.com), shimano dx pedals, chris king. Its pretty sturdy to. He is a fast kid,

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 20:13 Quote
if you're looking for nimble go with a commencal. I have one and its nothing but nimble, such a sick bike.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 20:38 Quote
where do you by them in the US?

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 23:03 Quote
Bti is the new North American distributer. They'll be carrying them in the next month or so.

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 22:15 Quote
What is more nimble a socom or a commencal? or something else?

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 22:23 Quote
will54869 wrote:
What is more nimble a socom or a commencal? or something else?
The commencal will be more nimble on fast tight single track. the socom would be better on open rocky jazz.
you can save more time in single track then over rock gardens. the commencal gets my vote. it will also be a better fit as it only has 7 inches of travel.

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 23:33 Quote
The socom is very easy to break just so you know, I've got 2 freinds that broke them because they are race only frames originaly designed to last a year of racing or something like that.

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 7:06 Quote
was it the back end, swingarm? besause I think their fixing that this year.

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 11:26 Quote
will54869 wrote:

trek session 10 or m6 nothing else can compare to having a 10.5 i2i rear shock (except foes) the compression ratios are UNBELIEVABLE soooo f*cking plush... and 10 inches with a CTE to eliminate chain torque like most 10 inch travel bikes would have

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013644
Mobile Version of Website