which dh frame

PB Forum :: Downhill
which dh frame
| Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2008 at 11:37 Quote
z-man wrote:
will54869 wrote:
I am light 130lbs (wont crack frames), and would like a top notch dh frame. I currently have a 06 vp free with dh parts so i would sell the frame and put my parts on it. I would by the things i need to make the parts fit like headsets, bottombracket, hub, seatpost. HOPEFULLY LIGHT.

Socom? M3, giant, ventana, santacruz, commencal, turner, iron Horse, SWD, canfield, brooklyn, etc, any others?
trek session 10 or m6 nothing else can compare to having a 10.5 i2i rear shock (except foes) the compression ratios are UNBELIEVABLE soooo f*cking plush... and 10 inches with a CTE to eliminate chain torque like most 10 inch travel bikes would have

CTE is the ultimate weapon against chain growth.The chain holds it's shape and don't bounches like most DH bikes.Very well designed by Trek and 10.5 i2i are getting populair and more company's are making them(Bos,Elka,Cane Creek,Manitou).In rear shock size there's no match against the king size 16'' i2i curnutt shock(coil and air) on the 2:1 Mono.

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
trekrules wrote:
z-man wrote:
will54869 wrote:
I am light 130lbs (wont crack frames), and would like a top notch dh frame. I currently have a 06 vp free with dh parts so i would sell the frame and put my parts on it. I would by the things i need to make the parts fit like headsets, bottombracket, hub, seatpost. HOPEFULLY LIGHT.

Socom? M3, giant, ventana, santacruz, commencal, turner, iron Horse, SWD, canfield, brooklyn, etc, any others?
trek session 10 or m6 nothing else can compare to having a 10.5 i2i rear shock (except foes) the compression ratios are UNBELIEVABLE soooo f*cking plush... and 10 inches with a CTE to eliminate chain torque like most 10 inch travel bikes would have

CTE is the ultimate weapon against chain growth.The chain holds it's shape and don't bounches like most DH bikes.Very well designed by Trek and 10.5 i2i are getting populair and more company's are making them(Bos,Elka,Cane Creek,Manitou).In rear shock size there's no match against the king size 16'' i2i curnutt shock(coil and air) on the 2:1 Mono.

Session 10 usually makes for a heavier build. Most I've seen are 43lbs+. They do feel nice though. But yeah, there's no comparison at all to a 2:1 bike. They're just in a league of their own.

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 12:14 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
trekrules wrote:
z-man wrote:

Session 10 usually makes for a heavier build. Most I've seen are 43lbs+. They do feel nice though. But yeah, there's no comparison at all to a 2:1 bike. They're just in a league of their own.
you right, but all the weight is in the right spot... with the low center mass you get cornering ability's not many bikes can match. only down side is the weight... but if you give it a smart build you can get 41 which is respectable

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 12:14 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
z-man wrote:
will54869 wrote:

Session 10 usually makes for a heavier build. Most I've seen are 43lbs+. They do feel nice though.

until you go cutom and build it damm ligth.Yeti 303's are in general heavy'r frames than the session 10's but they end up as ligth weigth DH machines.My session 10 sits at 41lbs+ so mines dialed and setup for DH racing more than Freeride.They ride fenomenal and can't imaging any better what i rode in the past.

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
so m6? cause I want a bike under 40 lbs. the commencal looks awful good, im tempted but i really want to make the right choice. I have time so i might wait till 2010 for lighter bikes. canfield jedi?

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 22:07 Quote
will54869 wrote:
so m6? cause I want a bike under 40 lbs. the commencal looks awful good, im tempted but i really want to make the right choice. I have time so i might wait till 2010 for lighter bikes. canfield jedi?
remember your light so a m6 or session 10 would be over kill. you need the 7-8 inch travel bikes. i would go with a linkage driven bike like the commencal because they are very pedal efficient and can save seconds of your time in the techy stuff.

Mod Plus
Posted: May 9, 2008 at 23:10 Quote
Any bike can be built sub 40 regardless of how heavy the frame is to a limit of about 15 pounds or so. You just have to know what components to use and do a lot of research and invest some time at the local shop getting actual weights as opposed to the claimed weights on manufacturers' websites as there are often some discrepancies between actual and claimed weights. The Socom can easily be built to be about 35-36 without totally breaking the bank and an M6 kitted out correctly can be 34.189288 pounds if you have the funds. Finally, a lot of manufacturers are already done filling their frame only/frameset orders and won’t be producing more stock until next year. That is why you often have to preorder frames at local shops in the middle of December when pricing is released and by the beginning of January in hopes to get a frame by late April or early May. This varies by manufacturer though.

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 1:22 Quote
trek has 8 session 10 full builds left and about 20 frames... any lbs that sells trek will get you one... average 2 weeks shipping. i work at a bike shop

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 6:02 Quote
i would like a light frame to start my build with. and I can wait, im not in a hurry to spend money if i dont have to.

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 9:15 Quote
shocker (heavy) or socom (light)

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 9:19 Quote
dude get a soccom, and whack a single crown on it.
best build ever!

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 9:20 Quote
lovnlivn wrote:

whats your budget?? cus the socom is 2500 and the shocker is 2400

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 10:48 Quote
PNWrider wrote:
lovnlivn wrote:

whats your budget?? cus the socom is 2500 and the shocker is 2400
If my choice was between those to i would get the socom. budget is whatever i can get them for. i could pay msrp but i really dont want to so i would probably go through ebay, pinkbike, or maybe craigslist, or a freind. right now there is a socom frame on ebay for 1600.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015127
Mobile Version of Website