Official Scottish Biking Thread
O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 1:53 Quote
Wouldn't take a downhiller anywhere near beecraigs

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 14:31 Quote
Bonaly is probably your best bet

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 14:29 Quote
Evening fellas,

I'm heading to Dalbeattie tomorrow to hit up the trail centre with my Dad.

I can see a few "off-piste" trails on Trailforks, like Moyle, Crash and Burn, On Your Toes and Yellow Drum. I was wondering if these are worth checking out? And if there's any other decent none-7Stanes trails?

Cheers in advance Salute

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 14:34 Quote
sam-stanfield wrote:
Evening fellas,

I'm heading to Dalbeattie tomorrow to hit up the trail centre with my Dad.

I can see a few "off-piste" trails on Trailforks, like Moyle, Crash and Burn, On Your Toes and Yellow Drum. I was wondering if these are worth checking out? And if there's any other decent none-7Stanes trails?

Cheers in advance Salute
av heard a few non 7stanes trails over there are good, thobi haven't actually ridden one by do know someone that helped build at least one of them

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 9:19 Quote
any good wheel builders in Edinburgh?
I'm in the craigleith/crewe toll area and gonna have to cycle to the place with the wheels on my back, so something close by would be ideal.
Cheers folks!

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 4:20 Quote
I'll will be visiting Scottland work related and will stay in Livingston from thursday to sunday. The saturday is free for me, so I'd love to travel to fort william to rend a bike for a day and to see the tracks. Sadly my company can't rent a car as I don't have a creditcard for it, so I'd need tot travel via train.
I've checked the timetables and not many trains are available so asking if anybody is driving to Fort William from nearby and could take me with with them.

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 17:07 Quote
Anyone know when the next SDA race calendar starts? I want to start racing but my only option is to go straight in to Fort William, and that's not going to happen. Also what's the situation with the Inners DH? Ride down push up?

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 23:50 Quote
enzu wrote:
I'll will be visiting Scottland work related and will stay in Livingston from thursday to sunday. The saturday is free for me, so I'd love to travel to fort william to rend a bike for a day and to see the tracks. Sadly my company can't rent a car as I don't have a creditcard for it, so I'd need tot travel via train.
I've checked the timetables and not many trains are available so asking if anybody is driving to Fort William from nearby and could take me with with them.

Ft. Bill would be a 5/6 hour round trip by car, hit up Progression Bikes in Dunkeld, they do an uplift and hire bikes and equipment, the dude may even pick you up from the nearest train station which is 5 mins away from the trails.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 4:17 Quote
shoefanu wrote:
Anyone know when the next SDA race calendar starts? I want to start racing but my only option is to go straight in to Fort William, and that's not going to happen. Also what's the situation with the Inners DH? Ride down push up?

The SDA race calendar is already in full swing and normally starts march April time there isn't any uplift at inners at the moment apart from when racing so yes it's a push/pedal up.

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 10:34 Quote
Conanangus wrote:
shoefanu wrote:

The SDA race calendar is already in full swing and normally starts march April time there isn't any uplift at inners at the moment apart from when racing so yes it's a push/pedal up.

Do you know if there's anything after the Fort William SDA? or is that it until next year? Looking to sort something for in a month or two's time.

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 10:47 Quote
shoefanu wrote:
Conanangus wrote:
shoefanu wrote:

Do you know if there's anything after the Fort William SDA? or is that it until next year? Looking to sort something for in a month or two's time.
There has been 4 races in the sda so far this year only 2 left Dunkeld on the first weekend in August and Fortwilliam on the second weekend in September, Dunkeld has an uplift with car and trailer and Fortwilliam is a gondola, Ae and Inners was run by Uplift Scotland but currently up for sale £30,000 i think with vehicles and website, glencoe has a chair lift and Aberfeldy is a ride on race weekend only, sda can be raced by all riders and its a good laugh,

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
Hey guys,

I will be in Glencoe for a day or two of riding and then in Pitlochry for a day or two. I am looking for bike hire and places to ride.

Glencoe: I can see that there is lift access at Glencoe resort and Ft. William, but I'm wondering if there is some fun enduro style loops, or even out and backs that might have some nice scenery around and will take up half a day.

Pitlochry: On trail forks I can see some local trails and then some further south in Dunkeld, but they all appear to be short DH tracks. DH is fine for me, but to entertain my wife and make a full day of riding, I would like to find some sort of enduro loop.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 12:49 Quote
Yo.

There's a path called the Devil's Staircase that starts near the Glen Coe DH tracks centre and goes up and over to Kinlochleven in the next valley, it's an out and back that would have some good scenery. I'm not sure how long it would take to ride however, but you could turn back whenever. Alternatively there is a lot of good singletrack around Kinlochleven. I've done a couple of enduros there and there are some good descents to be had, with great views.

At Fort William there is the Ben Nevis 'North Face' trail (another out and back that I haven't done) which seems to be quite popular and again has some great scenery. There is the option of dropping into some steep and rad enduro stuff near the bottom too (I have done that much). That would be easy enough for a half day I would imagine.

I've not ridden any of the trails at Pitlochry yet, but a friend of mine has been doing some of the building there and it sounds pretty good.

Dunkeld has loads of enduro type stuff, but a lot of it is pretty full on. There are some nice trails on Birnam hill which aren't as steep though and are good fun ('Rake and Ruin' on Trailforks). The Hermitage is worth a look too and there is some nice singletrack in that area too. You should be able to put together a decent loop there. It might be worth contacting the bike shop in Dunkeld for some route advice.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 13:01 Quote
I live in Dunkeld, give me a shout when you're here and I'll give a tour.

Should be able to get about a 30km loop without going near any too technical.

Posted: Jul 22, 2017 at 7:27 Quote
Anyone know a place that'd anodise my fork stantions? I was debating getting a set of newer Boxxers, but figured I'd be just as well off getting a pair of older World Cups and anodising the stantions.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029679
Mobile Version of Website