Official Scottish Biking Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Official Scottish Biking Thread
Posted: Jul 22, 2017 at 15:30 Quote
shoefanu wrote:
Anyone know a place that'd anodise my fork stantions? I was debating getting a set of newer Boxxers, but figured I'd be just as well off getting a pair of older World Cups and anodising the stantions.

turtlesauce2000 would be the best man to ask (now living in Canada though) I think we had talked about this at one stage and I'm pretty sure he said it doesn't work well.

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 9:35 Quote
christer wrote:
shoefanu wrote:
Anyone know a place that'd anodise my fork stantions? I was debating getting a set of newer Boxxers, but figured I'd be just as well off getting a pair of older World Cups and anodising the stantions.

turtlesauce2000 would be the best man to ask (now living in Canada though) I think we had talked about this at one stage and I'm pretty sure he said it doesn't work well.

You wont be able to get your stanchions anodized at a price that makes it worthwhile. Theres not really any businesses in the uk let alone scotland that can do an aluminium hard ano in small batches at a price that is a go-er.

Go for the newer fork!

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 at 14:09 Quote
turtlesauce2000 wrote:
christer wrote:
shoefanu wrote:

You wont be able to get your stanchions anodized at a price that makes it worthwhile. Theres not really any businesses in the uk let alone scotland that can do an aluminium hard ano in small batches at a price that is a go-er.

Go for the newer fork!

Sweet - cheers. Will probaly get some WC's or maybe a 40.

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 3:09 Quote
Can anyone suggest any fun Munro's to bag? Big Grin

Don't mind a strenuous climb as long as the descent is worth it!

A few of us did Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers last weekend

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 9:00 Quote
Looks like a prime day for it, I'd like to ride there sometime. Don't suppose you've got a map or strava etc. of the ride?

Me an a mate did Lochnagar near Ballater/Braemar a few weeks ago, it's quite a good one. Going to do Mount Keen next week although I don't think it will involve as much gnar.

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 23:39 Quote
We just followed this route https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/ben-lawers.shtml

It's an out and back, which gives you a good chance to scope out lines you ride back down it. Alternatively, just before going up Beinn Ghlas you can hang a left and go round the side of it on a trail which eventually brings you up to the col between Ghlas and Lawers. Misses out a steep climb and is more rideable I believe.

Not heard of the Lochnagar ride but heard Mount Keen is good, let us know if it's worth a visit!

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 14:36 Quote
Hello, i missed the sda agm last weekend but one of my mates was there and he told me the script, but for some weird reason av missed a whole load of big changes thats happening and when i spoke to a couple more of my mates i found out even more changes in the pipeline, i must of been living to far away from the media recently, heres the few changes that i have heard about, any more information would be great and anything else that i have missed would be happy to hear about too.

The bds is no longer running as a series due to si paton retiring so regional races get to bid to run there race with the chance of winning bc points, the bds will actually be certain races held from other races series during specific races, and the sda are bidding for 2 or 3 races, inners, fort bill and ae

Now ae i have heard the forest has got a disease so there will be a deforestation coming pretty soon, is the disease near the dh track or just within the forest of ae but i think ae is the biggest forest in Britain if i am right, or is it just the top or bottom section that will get deforestation?

Talking about forestry commission, i heard today from a mate that glentress is loosing alot of money so they have sold the top car park and they are building alot of wigwams but he also said the freeride park was getting flattened as well as a few trails due to them requiring serious work, i thought glentress was the busiest trail centre in scotland and thought they would want to make it better not smaller, i knew there was a fall out or something about the trail builders there and it was them that built the golfy?

As it seems glentress is getting smaller glencoe is getting bigger and a new chairlift is getting put in? The chairlift will take you higher up the hill making the dh track longer and will be nearer to 4:30mins long, someone said plans are in and should be up for the 2019 season but unsure if thats the biking or sking season.

Also if ae dh track gets shut for a while due to deforestation that will reduce the chance of someone wanting to buy uplift Scotland, as it'll only be inners that could be used, has anyone heard any latest updates, i heard it was up for 30k including the truck and trailers but pretty sure thats the part thats putting folk off is the price includes the vehicle. As a 16 seater mini bus and trailer taking 16 folk per day at the weekend at £35 thats about 60k, so some money to be made if it gets popular,

Thanks for any replies in advance and any additional information about other places would be great

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
As far as I am aware they are planning on building a new skills area with a few shorter trails down by the cafe/shop at glentress to replace the freeride when it goes. Hopefully it will have some decent jumps. There's an outline of the plans online if you Google it.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 22:34 Quote
Glentress just got major investment for new trails, dunno bout ae, only disease I know about is for larch, dunno what species are around the trails there, and the uplift hasn't been running there for a while anyway since the road has been f*cked.

Also 60k sounds great, until you factor in the diesel, the payments to forestry for using road, and all the damage from running on forest roads, if it was such good money tally wouldn't be selling it.

Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 0:48 Quote
toad321 wrote:
Glentress just got major investment for new trails, dunno bout ae, only disease I know about is for larch, dunno what species are around the trails there, and the uplift hasn't been running there for a while anyway since the road has been f*cked.

Also 60k sounds great, until you factor in the diesel, the payments to forestry for using road, and all the damage from running on forest roads, if it was such good money tally wouldn't be selling it.
yeah i understand that but was trying to say that there is money to be made to run an uplift and the £60k would cover the costs of everything including a wage, i think there was a problem from the forestry commissions side as they wouldn't give him a permit to drive on their land

Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 0:50 Quote
dingus wrote:
As far as I am aware they are planning on building a new skills area with a few shorter trails down by the cafe/shop at glentress to replace the freeride when it goes. Hopefully it will have some decent jumps. There's an outline of the plans online if you Google it.
thats not too bad that there building new stuff, hopefully they build some good jumps to bring back the mid 2000's freeride jump scene back that glentress had, good old days

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 at 12:19 Quote
Hey guys,

I've just moved to Edinburgh and am dead keen to get exploring the riding around Peebles. I'm hoping to find some riding buddies that are into some pretty gnarly stuff. Anyone headed down that way in the near future that wouldn't mind a tag along?

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 11:15 Quote
cdnellery wrote:
Hey guys,

I've just moved to Edinburgh and am dead keen to get exploring the riding around Peebles. I'm hoping to find some riding buddies that are into some pretty gnarly stuff. Anyone headed down that way in the near future that wouldn't mind a tag along?

I'm also based in Edinburgh and down that way fairly frequently. Drop me a pm and we can see if we're both free at the same time for a cycle.

Cheers

Sam

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 9:58 Quote
From May 21st to June 1st I'll be visiting Scotland and I've made it mandatory to the gf that I have to get some riding in while we're there. Any recommendations or advice would be great!

We will be mostly in the Fort William and Edinburgh areas, and will be needing to rent bikes as well so any info would in that area would be great as well.

Thanks in advance guys!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016659
Mobile Version of Website