Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 21:44 Quote
I broke mine on Oct. 5, 2016 hitting a rut on the side of the trail. Orthopedic surgeon said we'll let it heal by itself and see me in 2 weeks. I'm doubtful and thinking surgery and plate needed.

photo

3 months later healing by itself. No pain and full arm and shoulder movement. Doctor was right.

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2016 at 6:49 Quote
[Quote="Richard8655"]I broke mine 11 days ago hitting a rut on the side of the trail. Ortho doctor advised let it heal by itself and see me in 2 weeks. I'm doubtful and thinking surgery needed.

Thats what mine looked like. It's not shattered. I was sceptical too. I was out of my sling in 7 days and doing full range of motion. I am no doctor but it helped. Do wall walks with your fingers and keep it moving. I healed up well and was riding two months later.

Good luck

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 at 11:27 Quote
joshua22 wrote:
Thats what mine looked like. It's not shattered. I was sceptical too. I was out of my sling in 7 days and doing full range of motion. I am no doctor but it helped. Do wall walks with your fingers and keep it moving. I healed up well and was riding two months later.

Good luck

Thanks Joshua. Sounds like you didn't need surgery after a similar break like mine. Glad to hear you recovered well, and gave me some hope! Damn painful.

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 2:39 Quote
Broke my collarbone, 4 ribs and punctured lung in high speed road bike crash ( not my fault ).. Had 3 surgeons look at it and had 3 different opinions ??
So glad I had it plated and screwed, think it would of been a disaster if id left it, if its displaced get surgery is my advice.

Posted: Dec 11, 2016 at 2:40 Quote
I get to participate in this thread: Frown

I broke mine on the 25th of september 2016, on a gravel road on my Genesis Croix de Fer (Dangerous sport, this road biking thing). The guy in front of me did some braking, i didn't look, and bam..!

So the x-ray looked like this after a week:

photo

and my shoulder was black, yellow and blue for a very long time:

photo

I am back on the bike, i have an x-ray checkup on dec 13, but i suspect everthing is fine. I have a lump where the bones are overlapping and joining, but its mainly cosmetic damage Wink

I did not believe that it would heal without surgery, but it did.

All the doctors here in Denmark recommend not having surgery, and it is, amongst other things because the healing is not gonna go faster, or better. When they operate, they have to cut away the muscle tissue surrounding the bone, and the muscle is whats supplying the bone with the blood it needs to heal. Other than that, a lot of complications can happen.

I started doing some exercises after the first week to move the shoulder and arm, and i borrowed a tricycle from a friend, to help me get though the first couple of weeks.Currently i am doing gym workouts and mountain biking. I am scared of falling on the bike and breaking it again, but its wearing off for every time i am out, as the bone gets stronger. Its only in the gym i can feel the muscles aren't really settled in their new place. on or off the bike, its not a problem elsewhere.

I couldn't change any diapers for a long time, that was a plus Wink

But OMG, this shit was painfull, especially in the first 3-4 weeks...... and sleeping was literally a nightmare, even on morphine... and there wasn't any buzz.. So i quit the pills quickly..

Edit:

This is from the checkup. They said it couldn't be better.. lol

The doctor also told me that the collar bone fracture is a very discussed subject around the world, no body really knows the benefits of treatment vs the other.Nurse

almost 3 months after the crash

Posted: Dec 11, 2016 at 16:42 Quote
Looks exactly like mine a year ago. I still got the bump and sometimes I can feel pain especially now during winter time and it sucks but I learned to live with it.
Is your collar bone shorter now?

Posted: Dec 12, 2016 at 0:41 Quote
janci: I dont know, i guess it must be, since the bones are overlapping. But, its really only cosmetic damage... Smile

I have heard a lot of people say the same thing as you, regarding the winter time, but I've been told it should disappear in 4-5 years. Wink Wink

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 at 13:36 Quote
FabianJ wrote:
janci: I dont know, i guess it must be, since the bones are overlapping. But, its really only cosmetic damage... Smile

I have heard a lot of people say the same thing as you, regarding the winter time, but I've been told it should disappear in 4-5 years. Wink Wink

Your break looks very similar to mine (x-ray picture and post just above yours). I'm glad yours healed so well. Mine also healed well without need for surgery or any plate, even though I was convinced it was necessary. The doctor told me exactly what yours said. Surgery interferes with healing as it requires cutting muscle, tissue, and blood supply. In most cases, the bones find each other and merge fine.

My god how painful it was the first 4 weeks. Sleeping was very difficult, as with you. I never want a collarbone break again and will be super careful on the bike paths next year. I go for a 12 week checkup and x-ray in January, and will ask for an x-ray copy to post here. I also have a permanent bump, but not nearly as bad and sticking out as in the beginning. Doctor said this will shrink and get rounder over time. He also said it takes 6 months to heal 100%. I'm sure this is the same for you.

Posted: Dec 20, 2016 at 10:08 Quote
FabianJ wrote:

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I broke mine Nov 14th and had a follow up x-ray on Dec 13th showing that it's still broken. Plan is another x-ray on Jan 3rd and if it's still the same surgery on the Jan 5th. Hoping to mend naturally - not mad on having surgery. Have to say it's a particularly annoying injury. Sitting around is pretty boring ????. Sounds like 3 months is about right for it to heal on its own.
My doc was saying the healing or bridging of the bones should be occur week 5-6 - so fingers crossed ????

Posted: Dec 24, 2016 at 3:39 Quote
I am fine now, I have been riding for 3 days straight in Madeira with freeride madeiras Enduro Tour. Perfect way to find out if youre ready.

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 at 10:54 Quote
ritytity wrote:
This part is bullshit. You will be back in 6 months mayyyybe.

JubaBabaci wrote:
Yeah, and i was back "Hard" riding in about 3 months.

I am back now, it's been 3 months, Enduro riding in Madeira, I am fine.

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 18:08 Quote
Broke my right clavicle on September 24th, 2016 in riding in Whistler. It was a clean mid shaft break with significant displacement; the Othopedic surgeon gave me a choice whether to operate on it right away or wait for it to fuse. Initially, I chose the ladder and ended up with a non-union. The surgery took place on February 1st, 2017, and with a vigorous physical therapy regime, I expect to be back shredding by mid-March.

Views: 492    Faves: 0    Comments: 1

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 22:18 Quote
Single crown crunch. All the way on crab apple hits to that. Heal up. I wish I was given a choice on my injury.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 0:55 Quote
several weeks if every thing goes well. healing soon buddy

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017284
Mobile Version of Website