Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 5:43 Quote
Andy198712 wrote:
just did this on Wednesday and got fracture clinic on friday, my shoulder hangs pretty low now, a good 2-3 inches lower then the other side. hopefully it heals okay!

It should heal fine. Recovery has a lot to do with your age as well. The older you are, the longer the recovery. I was 51 when I snapped mine. It was in late July in Canada and I didn't fully get back on my bike for 6 months. I would suggest physio to anyone who might have movement problems. I resisted it at first and it prolonged full recovery. I have numbness at times in my left hand when riding my road bike, which I blame on the collarbone break. Never had numbness before. Heal well.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 6:28 Quote
Hipnosis wrote:
Andy198712 wrote:
just did this on Wednesday and got fracture clinic on friday, my shoulder hangs pretty low now, a good 2-3 inches lower then the other side. hopefully it heals okay!

It should heal fine. Recovery has a lot to do with your age as well. The older you are, the longer the recovery. I was 51 when I snapped mine. It was in late July in Canada and I didn't fully get back on my bike for 6 months. I would suggest physio to anyone who might have movement problems. I resisted it at first and it prolonged full recovery. I have numbness at times in my left hand when riding my road bike, which I blame on the collarbone break. Never had numbness before. Heal well.

What kind of Physio did you have.. the standard stretching, isometric movements, arms behind your head etc...? It’s almost 10 weeks now, I must be getting impatient ☹️, for your information am 45 and in good pre injury shape... concerned about pins and needles, tingling feeling, did nt have until 7/8 weeks after injury. Why am I still having an ache when I raise my arm in front of me above head level. Is it muscle/tendon/ligaments...?

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 11:59 Quote
Lamster wrote:
Hipnosis wrote:
Andy198712 wrote:

What kind of Physio did you have.. the standard stretching, isometric movements, arms behind your head etc...? It’s almost 10 weeks now, I must be getting impatient ☹️, for your information am 45 and in good pre injury shape... concerned about pins and needles, tingling feeling, did nt have until 7/8 weeks after injury. Why am I still having an ache when I raise my arm in front of me above head level. Is it muscle/tendon/ligaments...?

I was in exceptional shape when I broke mine... was really pissed when I couldn't ride. The physio I did used rubber bands as resistance and really helped. It didn't take long before I had full movement. I didn't suffer from tingling. You might want to ask your doctor about it. At 7 to 8 weeks I think some pain is still possible. I was 6 weeks sleeping in a recliner before I could get back to bed. I did suffer terribly from soft tissue damage in my back and chest. I really can't recall if the breaking bone hurt because everything else was so tender. Thankful for my wife. Good luck.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 16:54 Quote
June 21 2017 Red Tail Trail crash

Lived with this for 6 months, drove me crazy. I tried my best to NOT have surgery. Had surgery Jan 31, doc installed two plates, one on top, one in front, got a clavicle sandwich, already feels better

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 6:32 Quote
Hello how was you before the surgery did you ache and have tightness around the injured area?
Am 13 weeks in from left midshaft fracture and I still have aches, tightness and tingling down my arms and left leg. Considering surgery now, surely I should be back to normal now ...?

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 7:54 Quote
if the bone is knitted together and stable i would wait, 13 weeks is still a little early to give up on it, just keep working it. In my case the bone was NOT together, they call it a non-union, and yes very painful doing certain things. I'm 4 weeks out of surgery and it's tough, lots of recovery to do yet. Can barley lift a glass of water and drink it with my left arm. I'm told 3 months from surgery i can be "aggressive" on my bike. surgery SUCKS! but in my case it had to be done.

Keep in mind it doesn't make any difference is you wait 6 months or 2 years to have surgery...there's no advantages to do it early

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 8:49 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
if the bone is knitted together and stable i would wait, 13 weeks is still a little early to give up on it, just keep working it. In my case the bone was NOT together, they call it a non-union, and yes very painful doing certain things. I'm 4 weeks out of surgery and it's tough, lots of recovery to do yet. Can barley lift a glass of water and drink it with my left arm. I'm told 3 months from surgery i can be "aggressive" on my bike. surgery SUCKS! but in my case it had to be done.

Keep in mind it doesn't make any difference is you wait 6 months or 2 years to have surgery...there's no advantages to do it early

Hello, my bone is overlapped by about 1/1.5 cms. I’m concerned it’s affecting the biomechanics and geometry of my shoulder. Am slightly shorter on my left side.
I’m experiencing some sharp pains around the C5/6 and the median nerve. As my job is quite physical and I have to use my left arm it puts pressure and pain around the effected area. In conclusion if your advice is still to wait and see how it’s progresses then great. But if after weeks there’s not much improvement then surely surgery will put it back as straight as possible and start my recovery again.? Ps,when you say,” keep working on it” do you mean rehabilitation work and also gym stuff to build strength and muscle around it...?

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 13:30 Quote
Lamster wrote:
lblizzard wrote:

Hello, my bone is overlapped by about 1/1.5 cms. I’m concerned it’s affecting the biomechanics and geometry of my shoulder. Am slightly shorter on my left side.
I’m experiencing some sharp pains around the C5/6 and the median nerve. As my job is quite physical and I have to use my left arm it puts pressure and pain around the effected area. In conclusion if your advice is still to wait and see how it’s progresses then great. But if after weeks there’s not much improvement then surely surgery will put it back as straight as possible and start my recovery again.? Ps,when you say,” keep working on it” do you mean rehabilitation work and also gym stuff to build strength and muscle around it...?

What does your doc say? I know orthopedic surgeons have different opinions, i would see one that specializes in sports injuries if you can. At 13 weeks it's hard to mess it up, making it stronger is all you can do..strengthening.
I have done a ton of reading and watched videos about broken clavicles in the past 6 months and i remember seeing one video about this, finally found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7LThYorhqU but end the end you should see a good surgeon for advice, having a an overlap can impact your shoulder motion depending on severity of the overlap.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 13:32 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
Lamster wrote:
lblizzard wrote:

What does your doc say? I know orthopedic surgeons have different opinions, i would see one that specializes in sports injuries if you can. At 13 weeks it's hard to mess it up, making it stronger is all you can do..strengthening.
I have done a ton of reading and watched videos about broken clavicles in the past 6 months and i remember seeing one video about this, finally found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7LThYorhqU but end the end you should see a good surgeon for advice, having a an overlap can impact your shoulder motion depending on severity of the overlap.

This is what you will end up with...it's no fun
June 21 2017 crash shattered my clavicle after waiting 6 months for it to heal i finally got ORIF surgery took two plates to put it back together

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 7:32 Quote
today I'm 5 weeks out of surgery, which required 2 plates. Motion is improving but not had a pain free day yet, still can't raise my arm past 90degrees without lots of pain

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 6:38 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
today I'm 5 weeks out of surgery, which required 2 plates. Motion is improving but not had a pain free day yet, still can't raise my arm past 90degrees without lots of pain

Dont worry, it will be okay again! Smile

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 10:02 Quote
this is my 6 week x-ray, shoulder is very tight, lots of pain, now starts the rehab, not looking forward to it. But hey Doc says i can ride my bike if i can stand the pain. it's just got to stop snowing

6 week x-ray

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 14:24 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
this is my 6 week x-ray, shoulder is very tight, lots of pain, now starts the rehab, not looking forward to it. But hey Doc says i can ride my bike if i can stand the pain. it's just got to stop snowing

The muscle loss from basically 6 weeks of immobilising your shoulder will be unreal, my surgeon said the same thing right after my opp. Technically your shoulder is "fixed" but you need build it up again. Not going to lie the rehab is savage! My shoulder was so weak and tight after at first I struggled to life a broom above my head.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 16:07 Quote
Consume LOTS of protein, that will help with the muscle regrowth..Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037366
Mobile Version of Website