Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 10:44 Quote
atticus wrote:
Boyan1984 wrote:
Really sorry to hear that man Frown I am not a doctor, but to me it looks like you need to be plated. Bone movement after two months? That's not normal. Maybe you have the case of non union - there is soft tissue, but the bones are not bonded together and they will always move, no matter what. Yes, in a way you are healed, but not in the right way. And if you still have pain surgery is the only option I think.
I really hope I am not right, I sincerely hope it mate.
thanks for the support man i am thinking it might be a non union as wel, I want to get my collarbone fixed and I am not afraid to get operated, only reason I didn't do it was because doctors convinced me to give it a go in natural healing. I would be back to the OS Wednesday and I hope after I tell him what my symptoms are we can figure out a solution because I am already 2 months out of my normal life :/

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 10:47 Quote
As I was researching the healing process I came across info that indicated a bone fracture may heal but if it is subjected to movement before it hardens with calcium it may heal with only the callous joint of the initial phase of the healing process, that joint would then have undesirable flexibility. Obviously that wouldn't be good for long term durability with action sports or even tripping and landing on that shoulder.

I hope too that you docs reconsider treatment if this looks like it'll continue on a less than desirable healing path.

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 12:36 Quote
Been out for a short leisurely ride 4 weeks post break. Felt pretty good, obviously not full movement but very close. Still have an aching on my shoulder down my triceps area to my elbow. Not lost as much fitness as I thought I would of as well, overall fairly pleased. I have a large protruding bump as well, looks bad but feels ok.

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 16:30 Quote
atticus wrote:
atticus wrote:
Boyan1984 wrote:
Really sorry to hear that man Frown I am not a doctor, but to me it looks like you need to be plated. Bone movement after two months? That's not normal. Maybe you have the case of non union - there is soft tissue, but the bones are not bonded together and they will always move, no matter what. Yes, in a way you are healed, but not in the right way. And if you still have pain surgery is the only option I think.
I really hope I am not right, I sincerely hope it mate.
thanks for the support man i am thinking it might be a non union as wel, I want to get my collarbone fixed and I am not afraid to get operated, only reason I didn't do it was because doctors convinced me to give it a go in natural healing. I would be back to the OS Wednesday and I hope after I tell him what my symptoms are we can figure out a solution because I am already 2 months out of my normal life :/

BTW mine was a non-union, at 4 months i wanted surgery, doc said wait, at 6 months the doc was satisfied. I was riding but i couldn't hit hard compression's descending, climbing was ok. before and after pic on my profile.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 2:56 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
atticus wrote:
atticus wrote:

BTW mine was a non-union, at 4 months i wanted surgery, doc said wait, at 6 months the doc was satisfied. I was riding but i couldn't hit hard compression's descending, climbing was ok. before and after pic on my profile.

I hit the 2 months mark today and went to see the second doctor again, he confirmed all what I was worried about and said it's a non union, he scheduled a surgery for tomorrow morning. I will post more detail later on the healing process

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 5:17 Quote
Good luck atticus. Recovery starts over but this time you have an end in sight.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 8:38 Quote
thanks man I hope that things only get better from now on Smile

Posted: Jul 21, 2018 at 5:34 Quote
finally had my collarbone plated
3rd day after surgery, dày of the surgery was painful but afterwards I am managing with minimum medication, feels great that my collarbone isn't moving anymore after 2 months tup
back in the arm sling for the next 2 weeks till I go back to meet up with the doctor and we check on the healing process.

Posted: Jul 21, 2018 at 6:12 Quote
Looks better already. I'd be surprised if only 2 weeks in the sling though. Until the bone starts filling that gap the risk of pulling screws is higher and then you'll have a real mess on your hands. But my doc could have been over cautious with that first phase of healing....

Posted: Jul 21, 2018 at 6:44 Quote
it's possible that I would have to wear it longer, he told me to wear it untill the next check up wich is on 6 august so it is almost 3 weeks and than we see how we continue from there. I try keeping my arm in the sling for long as possible and let it rest a bit few times a day when I am laying in bed to keep my elbow and wrist movements.

Posted: Jul 21, 2018 at 8:32 Quote
Better later than never Smile Good luck mate!

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 5:01 Quote
guys I am here with another question. almost all sweling is gone apart from the place of incision where it's still very swollen and soft like a little pillow. I go regularly for a bandage since it keeps bleeding, now 9 days after surgery.. doctors are saying it is possible to be bleeding under the skin so that's why is swollen like that. they told we to wait over the weekend and we see how things are looking on Monday, if it's still the same maybe they will try to schedule earlier check up from the orthopedic md.
So my question is did anybody had the same experience like me?
ps: I have almost 0 pain apart from some moments when it's slightly annoying! Cheers tup

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 17:35 Quote
Thought I would contribute to this thread since I've read a lot of it. Broke my left collarbone into three pieces on June 9th, I had a grade 2 AC separation on the same shoulder 3 years ago, luckily just a break and no ligament damage this time. First time I've broke anything.

Had surgery 2 weeks later on June 26th. I only took the painkillers on the day of the surgery, after that I was on ibuprofen for a week. Day 6 and Day 7 were the worst, I think all the crap had drained down into my peck causing some pain right in there. Other than that I was pain free. After the first checkup ( 1 week) and getting my stitches out I started forcing my arm up using a pole, after two days of doing that I was able to lift it up to 90 degrees on its own. Been doing a very good diet of light protein, dark veggies, fruit and some calcium supplements with magnesium etc.

After about two weeks I had full range of motion, I was pretty cautious and followed the precautions not to go above 90 degree etc. I've been doing mostly scapular stabilization and range of motion exercises twice a day, no issues. PT just has me come in once a week since im doing so good. Been mostly hiking for exercise, started my first session on a trainer yesterday, felt good to be back on the bike after 7 weeks.

Doc doesn't want me riding for 12 weeks, so I have a little ways to go still, sigh, I'm gonna follow what he says an take the conservative approach.

Curious at what point the guys that had surgery were able to start doing pushups/pullups etc?

photo

photo

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 17:51 Quote
Sorry I can't help there atticus, mine never did bleed or seep, not even from the moment I woke out of surgery. I got the self dissolving stitches so I never had to have any removed.

chrischandra, I'm 8 weeks post surgery and just now to start resistance band PT next week. I've been limited to very light resistance range of motion up till now. I may not be typical though because the "no use" period after surgery did a number on my shoulder (atrophy and pain from that) so PT is being very methodical about advancing every week but at a very controlled pace to make sure I don't actually damage something from the weakness. Not sure when I'll be cleared to just get after it...but I'm itching to get going.

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 0:57 Quote
astlc i am pretry sure bleeding should have stopped by this point. a day or 2 is normal... 10 is not. currently my patch is fully wet from the blood and idk what my personal doctor was thinking when she was telling me that's good.
By far worst injury I ever had considering is 2 and half months since I broke it and there has been only problems since... going to the doctors tomorrow and I will demand to get consultation with my surgery asap!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.408410
Mobile Version of Website