Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: May 3, 2019 at 23:46 Quote
Seems I've done a proper job of it. The bone ends are overlapping by quite a lot (4cm ish) so I'm going in for surgery to pin and plate it.

Also since my last post when everthing was pretty ok I've had a lot of pain first thing in the morning. Getting up out of bed and the first half hour or so is rubbish now. Anyone else had this? I'm fairly pain free the rest of the day as long as I'm careful. I don't know if it's just that the painlillers have worn off by morning, or that I'm changing position after laying still all night. It sucks in any case.

Should have my surgery next week.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
Mine has been plated and screwed since Nov 2018 and I still have pain. Surgery was way worse as far as pain vs just breaking it. Glad I had surgery really didn’t have a choice was in pieces lol.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 6:07 Quote
Superlate79 wrote:
Mine has been plated and screwed since Nov 2018 and I still have pain. Surgery was way worse as far as pain vs just breaking it. Glad I had surgery really didn’t have a choice was in pieces lol.

Bad times. You back to riding now though?

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
Yea back on the bike in April. Snow finally melted. Collarbone feels good riding was nervous at first but that went away fast. For me I still have slight pain depending on what I’m doing. Sure others have recovered much quicker as I’m 42.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
We don't usually have that problem over here, with snow i mean. All the more annoying to get injured in spring. Spend all winter riding sticky muddy trails and then when it finally stops raining long enough for the sun to come out i snap myself. Over excitement maybe? I'm 40 soon, hopefully I'll heal quick and get riding while the trails are still nice and dry.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
Had my surgery yesterday. Back home now. It's pretty sore at the moment, hopefully that'll ease off as the scar forms and I'll be able to start moving it a bit. I forgot to ask the nurse and it's really bugging me, the shaved a part of my thigh when i was under anaesthetic. Anyone shed any light into why that would have helped?

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 2:36 Quote
Broke my Collarbone yesterday. Going to Glastonbury festival at end of June and Morzine on 20th July, timing could not have been worse. Hopefully will heal up for Morzine, I can sling it at Glastonbury, though it's not ideal. Healing vibes to everyone else healing up with me.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 3:31 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
Broke my Collarbone yesterday. Going to Glastonbury festival at end of June and Morzine on 20th July, timing could not have been worse. Hopefully will heal up for Morzine, I can sling it at Glastonbury, though it's not ideal. Healing vibes to everyone else healing up with me.
I done the same last year, broke it on 6th June had morzine booked for 20th July. Managed to push Morzine back 4 weeks with only a little charge on eurotunnel. Shoulder was fine but I did fall off and break my elbow in 2 places which cut the trip short. Good luck.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 6:02 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
Davec85 wrote:
I done the same last year, broke it on 6th June had morzine booked for 20th July. Managed to push Morzine back 4 weeks with only a little charge on eurotunnel. Shoulder was fine but I did fall off and break my elbow in 2 places which cut the trip short. Good luck.

Which 2 places? I'm 2 and a bit weeks after surgery on my collarbone. Saw the doc on friday. All looking good, scar isn't too nasty and the bone repair is fine. Got most of my range of motion back, still a bit stiff. Instructions are to keep wearing my sling, keep doing my rehab exercises (passive movements only), and not to lift anything. I'm so bored of not riding. I'm off work until the all clear in 3 and a bit weeks, but can't do anything with my time but annoy the missus, go out walking looking for new trails to ride, and think about biking. I know it's for the best to follow the doctors instructions, and if i do I'll be fine to ride in a few weeks, but it's very frustrating. It was easier when everything hurt and i didn't want to move!

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 6:17 Quote
fielonator wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
Davec85 wrote:

Which 2 places? I'm 2 and a bit weeks after surgery on my collarbone. Saw the doc on friday. All looking good, scar isn't too nasty and the bone repair is fine. Got most of my range of motion back, still a bit stiff. Instructions are to keep wearing my sling, keep doing my rehab exercises (passive movements only), and not to lift anything. I'm so bored of not riding. I'm off work until the all clear in 3 and a bit weeks, but can't do anything with my time but annoy the missus, go out walking looking for new trails to ride, and think about biking. I know it's for the best to follow the doctors instructions, and if i do I'll be fine to ride in a few weeks, but it's very frustrating. It was easier when everything hurt and i didn't want to move!
Where the bones meet at the at the elbow itself (ulna and Humerus I think!)
I am now 12 weeks post op (iliac crest graft from my hip to clavicle) been riding for about 4 weeks and shoulder is more than fine, no pain, range of movement is around 95%. Dr said that it healed so good that i dont need rehab at all which is a relief. Only get slight discomfort if I have been laying on my shoulder for any length of time. Take it easy, dont get on the bike too soon. Good Luck Mate.

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 5:57 Quote
Busted mine last Saturday, but it was such a minor, stable break it took me a week to decide to get it x rayed. Bone feels largely okay but as the pain and swelling have gone down and I can move my arm more, I'm noticing all this weird nerve pain and tightness and popping, like maybe I did something to my rotator cuff too. Had an old partial tear that might have given up the ghost, but I don't want to pay for an MRI to find out... argh.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 4:29 Quote
I've been told to use Bio Oil on my surgery scar. Anyone else bother with this sort of thing? Is it just to make it look better, or are there other benefits? I'm not sure it'll fit in with my normal daily beauty routine which is currently; get up, sniff self - shower if required, clean teeth, done. If It's doing me some good i might remember to use it.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 5:29 Quote
fielonator wrote:
I've been told to use Bio Oil on my surgery scar. Anyone else bother with this sort of thing? Is it just to make it look better, or are there other benefits? I'm not sure it'll fit in with my normal daily beauty routine which is currently; get up, sniff self - shower if required, clean teeth, done. If It's doing me some good i might remember to use it.
Why Bother? Scars are cool!!

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
fielonator wrote:

They are, a bit hurty at the moment as well. Not bothered about the appearance, just the comfort.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 9:34 Quote
fielonator wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
fielonator wrote:

They are, a bit hurty at the moment as well. Not bothered about the appearance, just the comfort.
My shoulder is fine but the area around the scar is "weird" for want of a better word, the skin is numb, cant feel much, apart from pins and needles.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008680
Mobile Version of Website