Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
Just an update on my status.

I had an appointment on the 5 of Sep, they took and X-Ray, and afterwards I had an appointment with the doctor.
My bone was fully recovered, and the doctor told me I can do any sports.

So on that day in the evening I went for my Kyokushin karate class.
I still couldn't do pushups, but the rest went good.
Been busy after that with going regular swimming, and karate. Sunday's I am back at riding trails.
Started slowly with some blue trails, do small jumps.

I feel good now. All though I cannot do any DH until I can manage to do 10 push-ups.
Today I am starting with my HITT training. Should be fully recovered in Dec.

Feels good to be back riding again.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 0:10 Quote
Welcome back. Once you start training you'll hopefully see improvents quite fast. I can do most stuff normally with my injured side. Still feels weird though. I think i might have a screw being pushed out, got a pointy lump on top of the plate now. I'll have to schedule an appointment to get that looked at soon.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 4:14 Quote
I get those pops once in a while fielonator. I thought I was getting a screw loose too at first but now know it's not. It's some kind of muscle pop. I only get them when I push too hard like on a heavy bench press or overhead press lift. So far they go away in about a week if I don't continue to aggravate it with more heavy lifting.

Barbell front squats are what hurt with that damned plate in, the thickness of the plate is just enough to lose all room so the barbell sits right on it and that frickin hurts.

I'm around a year and a half post surgery.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 21:58 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Welcome back. Once you start training you'll hopefully see improvents quite fast. I can do most stuff normally with my injured side. Still feels weird though. I think i might have a screw being pushed out, got a pointy lump on top of the plate now. I'll have to schedule an appointment to get that looked at soon.

Oh update us here what the doctor said..
Take care.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 22:03 Quote
asctlc wrote:
I get those pops once in a while fielonator. I thought I was getting a screw loose too at first but now know it's not. It's some kind of muscle pop. I only get them when I push too hard like on a heavy bench press or overhead press lift. So far they go away in about a week if I don't continue to aggravate it with more heavy lifting.

Barbell front squats are what hurt with that damned plate in, the thickness of the plate is just enough to lose all room so the barbell sits right on it and that frickin hurts.

Wow so long still issues with the plate.
So there might be a change I might have issues with my plate as well in the long run....

I already frustrated I cannot do pushups now. Hopefully that goes away.

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 5:19 Quote
Sorry, I was a little unclear. I bench and overhead press heavy a couple times a week but the pops don't happen every time I lift hard. It's just when I do get a pop it's when my form breaks down letting my elbows flare while pressing extremely hard.

Has happened about 4 times since surgery, the last pop about 3 months ago. The occurrences are happening less frequent.

The year I reach my insurance deductible I'm going to schedule to get this plate removed. Doc said only about 10% of patients have issues they never get used to and apparently I'm one of them. But then again it's heavy back pack straps and barbells sitting on the plate that is the issue, not just everyday discomfort.

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Tripmo wrote:
asctlc wrote:

So there might be a change I might have issues with my plate as well in the long run....

There are other exercises to build up to full pressups. The same movement but stood leaning on a counter top is a good start, then lower using stairs, a bench or a low wall. There's also ones done on the floor but resting on your knees rather than toes. Expect some pain, soreness or stiffness as you've had a long rest from this sort of movement. You'll get there in the end.

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 5:29 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Tripmo wrote:
asctlc wrote:

There are other exercises to build up to full pressups. The same movement but stood leaning on a counter top is a good start, then lower using stairs, a bench or a low wall. There's also ones done on the floor but resting on your knees rather than toes. Expect some pain, soreness or stiffness as you've had a long rest from this sort of movement. You'll get there in the end.

Another thing to consider is where the break is, theres lots of soft tissue and muscles that attach to the collar bone. So not all breaks are the same. Depending on where the plate is it can cause more or less issues with "soft tissue" if you disturb soft tissue it just takes longer and those pops are probably scar tissue breaking up...which is a good thing. I have two plates on my collar bone, took me a solid year to get 100% rang of motion back.

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 17:36 Quote
I’m just over 5 weeks into my healing process but I’m 50 so probably going slower. I have the same issues with the callus forming but it’s still a hassle with the bones moving and stuff. Just following doctors orders but from day one she told me with recovery, PT and everything it would be 4 months until 100%. Mine is a closed displaced with splintering that is 5mm displaced. I was right on the fence for surgery but doctor really wanted solid bone to form rather than plates and screws. Been a long 5 weeks and doesn’t feel too stable yet.

It’s my right arm which is my dominant so totally hassle with work and everything. My wife is ready to pull her hair out.

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
Just an update. In Aug 2019 I had my collarbone broken, and surgery was done begin of Sep 2019.
I have a plate with 8 screws inside.

So I it took a while to recover etc.

Now I am able to do push ups, or any other exercise, but yesterday I got my first pop during exercising like asctlc described, was doing some heavier weight lifting, then pop (near my collarbone / plate area).
I found it kinda scary when it happened, and I stopped exercising immediately when that occurred.

I have to go 6 Feb 2020 back for the final check at the doctor, and then I will get discharged. I will ask him about these pops, if it's normal.

Anyways everyone stay strong, and remember recovering takes time.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 8:31 Quote
Tripmo wrote:
Just an update. In Aug 2019 I had my collarbone broken, and surgery was done begin of Sep 2019.
I have a plate with 8 screws inside.

So I it took a while to recover etc.

Now I am able to do push ups, or any other exercise, but yesterday I got my first pop during exercising like asctlc described, was doing some heavier weight lifting, then pop (near my collarbone / plate area).
I found it kinda scary when it happened, and I stopped exercising immediately when that occurred.

I have to go 6 Feb 2020 back for the final check at the doctor, and then I will get discharged. I will ask him about these pops, if it's normal.

Anyways everyone stay strong, and remember recovering takes time.

I'm 2 years this Feb from surgery. I still have pops and on two occasions after heavy workouts I developed a lump on top of the plate, i first thought a screw popped up but after 4-5 days the lump went down. I figure is was scare tissue or some sort of soft tissue irritated.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 6:26 Quote
Broke mine on 25th of November, Clean break, put in fig 8 brace and sent home, follow up 3 weeks later and was told it was healing.

Week 3 - 5 I caught a serious flu, wasn't able to eat properly for that period of time and ended up losing 8kg so that really worried me in regards to the collarbone, the docs didn't seem too concerned, just said the process may be delayed. Haven't had an xray since 3 weeks.

Coming up on 13 weeks now.
Did any of you guys still expirience mild pain at this point? Side raises with even 1.5kg causes pain at the top of the movement. Im riding again but still doesn't feel right, not particularly painful but just off and I can constantly "feel" it. Is this expected? Shoulder clicks with movement too, can't tell if it's muscle / tissue or bone.

Going to book another xray just to put my mind at ease and also start with a physio (Doc said this wasn't necessary)

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 12:07 Quote
I'd expect some kind of physio would be required after any injury where the recovery immobilised a joint. Shoulders are the most complicated one too so definately get some physio.

My shoulders have always clicked, i hope it's normal. The pain could be due to tension in the surrounding muscles and tendons you've been using to keep your shoulder stable through recovery. A good osteopath should be able to sort that out. The analogy i was told was that my body needed to learn to relax and let my arm move naturally again. It's hard to do.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 17:13 Quote
Roguee wrote:
Broke mine on 25th of November, Clean break, put in fig 8 brace and sent home, follow up 3 weeks later and was told it was healing.

Week 3 - 5 I caught a serious flu, wasn't able to eat properly for that period of time and ended up losing 8kg so that really worried me in regards to the collarbone, the docs didn't seem too concerned, just said the process may be delayed. Haven't had an xray since 3 weeks.

Coming up on 13 weeks now.
Did any of you guys still expirience mild pain at this point? Side raises with even 1.5kg causes pain at the top of the movement. Im riding again but still doesn't feel right, not particularly painful but just off and I can constantly "feel" it. Is this expected? Shoulder clicks with movement too, can't tell if it's muscle / tissue or bone.

Going to book another xray just to put my mind at ease and also start with a physio (Doc said this wasn't necessary)

For me I had the same pain with some light weights when reaching the top of the movement. It takes time before this is fully gone.

The clicking part I had in the beginning also but it's gone now. I am now close to 6 months in. Still the surrounding area of my cut (I had a surgery and a plate is inserted) is 20% numb. Cannot feel cold water at a certain area there.

I do have full movement, can lift weights without issues etc. It only sometimes is a bit sore after too much exercising, little uncomfortable feeling (not the muscle pain feeling after a good workout). But well I can live with it.

If you worried you can always opt for a X-ray even if the doctor says no need. In the end it's your body etc.
Take care bro.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 4:14 Quote
Sorry to hear brother. As a paramedic I can tell you and you already know it’s painful. Broke my the day before a DH race going down on a wet root. It happens so quick that’s why I have worn a chest protector with shoulder cups every since. That was 2 years ago and I’ve gone down worse but the shoulder protection protects your clavicle when you put the pressure on the lateral portion of your deltoid which is how most clavicle fractures happen. I know they are hot and not very fashionable but they will prevent that from happening again in most crashes but some times your just unlucky. I had 2 plates put in mine because it broke into 3 pieces and protruded out of the skin. I drove myself 45 minutes to nearest ER...ouch. So after surgery I was back on the bike against doctors orders because I had planned on the Pro GRT at Windrock(amateur, no I can’t hang with the pros but I do pretty good for a old man). So after 3 weeks the staples were taken out but I started rehab 2 days following the surgery. So you will be good to go in 6 weeks of course they will tell you to take it easy for at least 8 weeks but we’re downhillers. Anyway I hope you heal fast brother. Just do some rehab because it does help you come back faster with better flexibility at the injury site. If you do nothing you’ll be so stiff and immobile it’s not funny. Good luck brother.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005832
Mobile Version of Website