BMX levers with disc brakes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
BMX levers with disc brakes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 4:57 Quote
I am looking to get a new brake lever for my street bike as I hate the Avid I have on it. I am looking at getting the Odyssey Monolever (medium) but heard that BMX levers don't pull enough cable to work with my BB7.

Is this true? Will it work?

thanks

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 6:45 Quote
I can offer my experience on the matter. I tried a Dirty Harry lever with an Avid brake years ago and for some reason could never get proper cable throw. At the same time I've seen BMX levers used, so I'm guessing it depends on the lever.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 12:37 Quote
BMX brake lever do not have enough "cable pull leverage" to work a mountain bike brake, whether its a v-brake or mechanical disc brake

I just swapped out a kids Odyssey trigger lever for an Avid FR-5 lever in our shop today, his Avid BB-5 mech. disc brake basically did not work until we did this work, and now it runs fine, with proper control over the brake and stopping power

BMX caliper brakes (Dia Compe Hombre, Fly, Revenge, etc.) require a much smaller cable pull leverage than either v-brakes or any mech. disc brake

i run an Odyssey trigger lever on my BMX with a Fly brake and it works fine....

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
guy i know runs bmx levers (which kind escapes me) mated to bb5s on his flatland 26". they work AMAZINGLY. one finger and all that. it is possible, and when it's done right...one of the best mechanical brake set-ups i've tried.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
I'm not doubting your friend's setup...but as a professional bike mechanic who has worked on 1000s of bikes...if you want a v-brake or mechanical disc brake to work in a mountain bike environment (not a 26" flatland bike) then you need to ensure you use a brake lever with the correct leverage

if you look at the amount of caliper movement on a BMX brake, to contact the rim, its very small compared to the throw on a v-brake or mechanical disc brake caliper

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 12:45 Quote
Get a Straitline Lever Big Grin

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
bmx leavers dont works on disc brakes, my mate has some bmx leavers with discs and they are crap.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 12:51 Quote
You get Discs for BMX's

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/product_mec_mx2.shtml

There

Look at the main uses and BMW is stated as one Geek

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
Gaz6R4 wrote:
You get Discs for BMX's

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/product_mec_mx2.shtml

There

Look at the main uses and BMW is stated as one Geek

yeah but...

a) most bmx hubs don't have disc mounts, same withbmx frames.
and more importantly...
b) hayes mx-2s are without an exception the worst brake i've ever used. and keep in mind one of my bikes has a shimano deore v-brake with completely dry cables, on a painted rim.

to hampsteadbandit - as it happens, he's a professional mechanic too, with some funny tastes in bikes...i haven't done much more than screw around with the freecoaster on it, but the brakes feel ok. whether they'd lock up and hold for stret is up in the air.

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 11:38 Quote
Would it work any better if I ran the Monolever with a Odyssey Linear Slik cable?

Any recommendations for a good mechanical disc brake lever (not avid)?

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 11:47 Quote
What about the shimano XT levers with the cable pull adjusters??? really adjustable and quite small lever in itself.

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
I can offer my experience on the matter. I tried a Dirty Harry lever with an Avid brake years ago and for some reason could never get proper cable throw. At the same time I've seen BMX levers used, so I'm guessing it depends on the lever.

i just put this same combo on my bike a few days ago and its actually workin great. got it pullin on a bb7

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
I use Bmx Leavers with my Hayes Mx3 and it work fine. As long and you are ok with a bit of slack in the cable.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 17:37 Quote
Friend has a mono lever on his bb5, it will work fine.

Posted: Oct 16, 2008 at 10:36 Quote
Coming in late but...
if you use an avid road disc i think that pulls less cable than a standard mtb brake so its possible to set it up nice with a bmx lever

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010737
Mobile Version of Website