Why does Maxxis say that their Minion DHF can also be used as a back tire when they make a DHR?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Why does Maxxis say that their Minion DHF can also be used as a back tire when they make a DHR?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:24 Quote

This question came up when I was looking at the Maxxis website and then looked at what some of the pro's were using. I noticed that Sam Hill uses a DHF for the front and back tire. I also noticed that the new Iron Horse Sundays all come with the same set up. Post your answers and thoughts.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:26 Quote
It works better with 2 dhfs. I used to run that. The dhr isnt a really good tire. The dhf corners better, the dhr just seems sub par.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:29 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
It works better with 2 dhfs. I used to run that. The dhr isnt a really good tire. The dhf corners better, the dhr just seems sub par.

Is that reference specifically to the Sunday or to other bikes as well?

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
its all general preferance... i like to have a DHR but some people like it DHF in the front

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:31 Quote
theaggressor wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:

Tires do the same thing on every bike. Of course some bikes have better "traction" due to suspension design, but same tire on same width rim at same pressure = same feel.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:32 Quote
konabikerjohn wrote:
its all general preferance... i like to have a DHR but some people like it DHF in the front

Obviously a front specific tire is better for the front. The question was in regards to using the Minion DHF as a rear tire.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
Maxxis says that it can be used as a back tire because it can be used as a back tire. Lots of people, including Sam Hill, use the DHF front and back with excellent results.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:35 Quote
theaggressor wrote:
konabikerjohn wrote:

Obviously a front specific tire is better for the front. The question was in regards to using the Minion DHF as a rear tire.
i meant to say in the rear

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
theaggressor wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:

Tires do the same thing on every bike. Of course some bikes have better "traction" due to suspension design, but same tire on same width rim at same pressure = same feel.

Thanks for the input; much appreciated. Would you consider that to be a good set up for most riding conditions or for only certain conditions?

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:38 Quote
konabikerjohn wrote:
theaggressor wrote:
konabikerjohn wrote:

i meant to say in the rear

It's all good, no worries, just trying to keep things on track.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:39 Quote
A front specific tire will generally have better penetrating lugs providing more grip. A rear generally has a tread with a lower rolling resistance. Running the DHF front and rear provides greater traction without compromising much rolling resistance. But, it's all personal preference.

Mod
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:39 Quote
The DHR has a directional tread pattern that doesn't make it universal as far as it being a front tire. It is designed to be a rear specific tire. However, the DHF isn't a directional pattern and therefore, it can be used in both the front and the rear. Also, many riders not only use the DHF for both the front and rear because it rolls faster and grips better but it is also lighter than a DHR in the same compound and same size as the DHF.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
The DHR has a directional tread pattern that doesn't make it universal as far as it being a front tire. It is designed to be a rear specific tire. However, the DHF isn't a directional pattern and therefore, it can be used in both the front and the rear. Also, many riders not only use the DHF for both the front and rear because it rolls faster and grips better but it is also lighter than a DHR in the same compound and same size as the DHF.

That's really interesting. That must be why it is so hard to get DHFs form the local distributors, people need two fronts instead of just one. I'm going to swap that DHR for a DHF before I ride tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Laurie.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:52 Quote
The DHR has rear specific "breaking ramps" that supposedly gets better traction under breaking, but this pattern does not track well as a front tire, so they aren't recommended for the front.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 16:54 Quote
The DHF and DHR both have ramped knobs, however, on the DHR they are more pronounced, providing a lower rolling resistance.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009064
Mobile Version of Website