Creaking noise from headtube...Commencal Supreme DH

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Creaking noise from headtube...Commencal Supreme DH
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
Hey guys, I have had my bike around 4 months or so now and have noticed over the last 2 months there has been a creaking noise coming from the headtube area.

I have taken the sleeve and headset out several times to clean and replace and still there is creaking.
Does any one have any suggestions or had similar problems? please help...its annoying the hell out of me...Frown
Ang x

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
What headset are you running, seald or non-seald? That could be your problem.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 10:57 Quote
peach wrote:

im running a sealed bearing chris king head set.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 11:00 Quote
mrsbig wrote:
peach wrote:

im running a sealed bearing chris king head set.
AHH good old king. Make sure your crown race is on your fork flat(no little gaps under it) and and its not loose. I had the same problem with the king crown race on my old bike, it was squeeking on the steertube of the fork because its wasen't tight enough.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 11:22 Quote
Yes, as good as King stuff is, I notice they are prone to creaking if all is not just right. In addition to making sure the race is seated, I apply a thin film of grease before installing the race. The same goes for the cups. I make sure the head tube is properly faced and then apply a thin film of grease before installing the cups. Check these points and of course make sure all is tight and properly adjusted.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:21 Quote
make sure you dont over tighten the sleeve in the headtube

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:35 Quote
What fork are you running? Kings are cross country headsets and in my experience just don't work with forks that have more than 5" of travel. Mine didn't develop any squeaking noises but it developed play and the bearings started to feel quite rough then over time (about 4 days riding dh in france) it took gouge out of the fork steerer. I was running 6" Z1s.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:38 Quote
previous statement inncorect

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:45 Quote
I'm passing on what i know to hopefully save people having to buy new steerers and future problems. I know at least 3 people who have also had the same problems with Chris King headsets. The steelset comes recommended for running long travel forks and more hardcore applications.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
willstevenson100 wrote:
I'm passing on what i know to hopefully save people having to buy new steerers and future problems. I know at least 3 people who have also had the same problems with Chris King headsets. The steelset comes recommended for running long travel forks and more hardcore applications.

I agree, and I too like you am not believed by anyone. I got rid of a custom made CK to put in a 30$ cane creek. Ive seen many forks with the cut from a CK.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 20:14 Quote
Face your headtube take it to you lbs !!

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 20:20 Quote
all the chris king headsets creak once they get a little dust in them. if you notice on your headset where the race is there is a rize from the race to the lower cup which allows dust in them. only way to keep it from creaking is just to regrease it every now and then.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 20:21 Quote

Posted: Aug 19, 2008 at 3:29 Quote
I-bike wrote:

Previous statement is the cure.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 23:34 Quote
I'll have word with Martyn, I'm sure he'll find time to re-install it (not like you're gonna be riding it anytime soonFrown ). We'll face it at the same time..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009433
Mobile Version of Website