Biking causues testicular damage, impaired sperm functioning and erectile problems?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Biking causues testicular damage, impaired sperm functioning and erectile problems?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/sexual-health/mens-sexual-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100211552&gt1=31028

This article on MSN.com really bummed me out today. I hate to see stuff like this. How do I know if I am not risking my health in the long run?

This is the extract from the article that I am particulary concerned about:

"Eco-friendly transportation could damage your testicles

Whether you’re bicycling to reduce your carbon footprint, save money on gas or get fit, make sure you’re cushioned properly. Cycling doesn’t cause male infertility, but it can lead to testicular damage, impaired sperm functioning and erectile problems. Urological surgeon Vinod Nargund from St. Bartholomew’s and Homerton Hospitals in London found that mountain bikers are more affected than road cyclists.

Dr. Nargund lists the potential problems of prolonged cycling: abrasions, chafing, damaged hair follicles and bruising. Sweating may cause skin problems and a general soreness.

Symptoms to watch for include genital numbness, erection problems and skin irritations. To stay healthy, wear shorts with protective padding. Make sure your seat is also padded, and adjust its position so it doesn’t put pressure on your groin. "

I do not experience any of the simptoms, but I would like to discuss this further to know exactly whats up. I hope there are competent people on the field in this forum.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 14:58 Quote
I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably only if your sitting down on your balls for hours on your bike or canning yourself when you case a jump.

Mod
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:00 Quote
This article is more in regards to long-term riding without taking adequate breaks/rest stops while you are cycling. It is mainly only the road cyclists that this occurs to as they are sitting on the saddle for the vast majority of their ride for extremely long periods of time without stopping and taking a break to get the blood flowing again. In most of the other disciplines in cycling, it requires the cyclist to get up and off the saddle reducing the pressure on certain areas. This helps to get the blood flowing. You shouldn't be worried about anything unless you ride a road bike several times a week training for hours and hours on end and then compete in competitions on the weekends and sit back on the saddle for hours and hours on end again. This article also helps to stress the importance of a good seat. A comfortable seat that has several of the technological advances of the 21st century also helps to educe pressure on the groin area.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:00 Quote
Problems happen mostly to roadies with a saddle that isn't set up properly. You shouldn't worry about that.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:03 Quote
I think that when they say mountain biking, they are more refering to cross country and all mountain riding. In these genres of mountian biking, there is much more sitting down over bumps, roots, and other obsticles. I dont see it being much of a problem to park, street, dirt, freeride, or downhill riders.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:05 Quote
i've heard about this. mostly happens to road bikers as they are sitting down 98% of the time and have very thin seats. most mountian bikes have pretty nice padding along with suspension which softens things up. not to mention, we are standing up a lot of the time. also, many seats have prostate savers - grooves in the middle so you don't end up sitting all your weight on your crotch. still a legitimate health concern though.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:10 Quote
markbatt wrote:
I think that when they say mountain biking, they are more refering to cross country and all mountain riding. In these genres of mountian biking, there is much more sitting down over bumps, roots, and other obsticles. I dont see it being much of a problem to park, street, dirt, freeride, or downhill riders.

Yeah, I do All-Mountain. I do Downhill. But during the week, I do several one hour climbs, and one and half hour rides.

My seat has obviously some sort of cushion, and I do wear padded shorts.

My concern is my saddle time. I mean, its like cancer I guess. No one knows what really causes it, but you don't really want to be engaging in activities that might.

And I'm feeling just like that, about this.

Anyway, I'm off for a ride. I'm gonna be getting up more regularly now.

Catch you guys later.

Mod
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
If you are really concerned about it, buy a new saddle by a major manufacturer that utilizes various kinds of newer technology to limit the amount of pressure on that area. Selle Italia has been making high quality saddles for years that are comfortable and have many hours of product research and development invested in them. If you want to take this one step further, talk to your GP and ask him his advice on this article and they can probably direct you in the right direction as far as what to look for in a seat.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:28 Quote
thrice wrote:
markbatt wrote:

Yeah, I do All-Mountain. I do Downhill. But during the week, I do several one hour climbs, and one and half hour rides.

My seat has obviously some sort of cushion, and I do wear padded shorts.

My concern is my saddle time. I mean, its like cancer I guess. No one knows what really causes it, but you don't really want to be engaging in activities that might.

And I'm feeling just like that, about this.

Anyway, I'm off for a ride. I'm gonna be getting up more regularly now.

Catch you guys later.

if you wear padded shorts or lycras under your pants so you have nothing to worry about

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:31 Quote
Well,... Time to make sure that i'm a whizz with the old fingers...

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 15:43 Quote
^LOL

A lot of the new saddles have a 'love channel' (hole in the middle) which is supposed to help with circulation. My new Rival saddle has it & I really don't notice a difference. I guess you wouldn't as it's a long term effect. The saddle manufacturing industry probably made it all up anyways just to sell us new gear :p

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 18:44 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
If you are really concerned about it, buy a new saddle by a major manufacturer that utilizes various kinds of newer technology to limit the amount of pressure on that area. Selle Italia has been making high quality saddles for years that are comfortable and have many hours of product research and development invested in them. If you want to take this one step further, talk to your GP and ask him his advice on this article and they can probably direct you in the right direction as far as what to look for in a seat.

This is exactly what I'll do.

willshiels wrote:

Funniest thing I've heard today.

ICAS wrote:
^LOL

A lot of the new saddles have a 'love channel' (hole in the middle) which is supposed to help with circulation. My new Rival saddle has it & I really don't notice a difference. I guess you wouldn't as it's a long term effect. The saddle manufacturing industry probably made it all up anyways just to sell us new gear :p
Yeah, I have a Specialized saddle with a "love channel" or whatever, but I guess its time to look into it, to see if there is anything more specifically developed towards that. This is one thing that I prefer buying in to rather than not. Unless a doctor tells me otherwise. Its one of those things, like, you rather have a condom and not need it, than need it and not have one.

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 8:01 Quote
If I remember correctly this has been classified as a myth / has been debunked (the low sperm count, anyway) - unfortunately I don't have the article with me but it basically explained that the effect was minimal or even non-existent.

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 17:00 Quote
Nose-less saddles were tested on police who were on bicycle duty and came in with good results.

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 17:06 Quote
willshiels wrote:

How it go if you dont have it in the hips theres allways the lips

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011756
Mobile Version of Website