short cage Derailleur

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
short cage Derailleur
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 20:23 Quote
I would get a 11-25 or smaller for a short cage derailer.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 20:30 Quote
i want to get a sram pg-970 11-26t dh cassette with a x-0 short cage derailleur. i run a 38t in front and would that cause any problems thanks.

Mod
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 21:18 Quote
I would stay away from Campagnolo as there are some special modifications that either need to be done or you have to know what is compatible with your hub when you buy their cassette. There cheapest cassette is about $300 and they go to about $550. They are also mainly 10 and 11 speed so unless you know how to convert them to a 9 speed, I would stay away from them. Campagnolo rear derailleurs are just as expensive as their cassettes. They are also 10 and 11 speed specific so unless you know what you are doing with limiter screws and how to set them up correctly, I would stay away with them. They range in price from about $400 to $600. Then, you need a shifter that will work with all this setup. It is honestly, one great big headache. Simply put, not worth it even if the setup was cheap.

Ultegra is probably your best bang for your buck in terms of quality, performance, durability, and cost. Dura Ace is lighter and still offers the same quality, durability, and maybe, some better performance but it is double the cost. You can use an Ultegra or Dura Ace derailleur too if you want. However, I prefer the Dura Ace cassette 11-23 (Ultegra if you are on a budget), Sram X0 short cage, KMC Hollow Pin chain (Dura Ace chain if you are on a budget), X0 trigger (X9 if you are on a budget), Shimano SIS cable, and E13 Guide Ring (38 tooth) with an LG1 guide.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 22:26 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
I would stay away from Campagnolo as there are some special modifications that either need to be done or you have to know what is compatible with your hub when you buy their cassette. There cheapest cassette is about $300 and they go to about $550. They are also mainly 10 and 11 speed so unless you know how to convert them to a 9 speed, I would stay away from them. Campagnolo rear derailleurs are just as expensive as their cassettes. They are also 10 and 11 speed specific so unless you know what you are doing with limiter screws and how to set them up correctly, I would stay away with them. They range in price from about $400 to $600. Then, you need a shifter that will work with all this setup. It is honestly, one great big headache. Simply put, not worth it even if the setup was cheap.

Ultegra is probably your best bang for your buck in terms of quality, performance, durability, and cost. Dura Ace is lighter and still offers the same quality, durability, and maybe, some better performance but it is double the cost. You can use an Ultegra or Dura Ace derailleur too if you want. However, I prefer the Dura Ace cassette 11-23 (Ultegra if you are on a budget), Sram X0 short cage, KMC Hollow Pin chain (Dura Ace chain if you are on a budget), X0 trigger (X9 if you are on a budget), Shimano SIS cable, and E13 Guide Ring (38 tooth) with an LG1 guide.
+1 on the ultrega, I got one nearly brand new for 20 dollars (saving 80 dollars) and I love it!

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 22:30 Quote
i got mine for about $80 and am running it as an 8 speed. i havent done much riding with it cause that bike is apart and getting repainted and a fork rebuild, but from just riding around my street, it seems to shift very crisply and it is very short so i shouldnt have a problem of hitting it against anything cause it is my dh bike
i hope it has the same duribility of my previous derailleur: a 1998 deore XT that finally broke in the summer, some sort of pin fell out, and when i did a homemade repair job, it just fell out again

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 22:50 Quote
AdamKS wrote:
what makes you think it will get ripped off??
I have thought about a road cassette but I do allot of freeride so I do find the top gears very useful.
i run 38f 11/25 ultegra rear cass with an XT shadow sgs(med cage) and its amazing getting a saint as soon as i can afford it i dh and freeride on a ht and it hangs on tight the spring tension is amazing and the shifting is accurate under load

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 4:42 Quote
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
AdamKS wrote:
what makes you think it will get ripped off??
I have thought about a road cassette but I do allot of freeride so I do find the top gears very useful.
i run 38f 11/25 ultegra rear cass with an XT shadow sgs(med cage) and its amazing getting a saint as soon as i can afford it i dh and freeride on a ht and it hangs on tight the spring tension is amazing and the shifting is accurate under load

Salute i love road cassettes they look so small and sleek,and the saint has a mode convertor so should allow the mech to tuck under even more.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018717
Mobile Version of Website