Which is much better??V-brake or Disk-brake??

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Which is much better??V-brake or Disk-brake??
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 at 9:34 Quote
i agree , dj set ups require good v-brake or cable disc , dh always always hydro preferebly hopes .

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 7:54 Quote
llessurretneprac wrote:
MattyCatchy wrote:
llessurretneprac wrote:
Hydros can be lighter than BB7's though if you are willing to shell out a little extra dough. Also a lot of nice hydraulic brakes self-adjust, which is really nice if your bike is being beaten around a lot.

For instance:
Hayes Stroker Rear (self-adjusting)= 282g with cable and lever
BB7 CALIPER ONLY Rear= 329g

Yeah, but there is no need for the power! I'd rather save my money and buy somthing else...
I wasn't even talking power, I was talking about weight and amount of maintenance. I understand what you mean about the cost though.

Yeah I know, but its just a little unnessisary... I mean a decent cable is all you need, and a decent cable can be pretty light. Its a bit like having a lorry air brake on a car you use for going round the city/on school runs (accept from the weight obviously). There is not a lot of point... But I suppose if you are stinking rich/stinkingly spoilt then you might as well...

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 0:18 Quote
it's all horses for courses . You want a super light XC race machine ; V-brakes. You want DH or endurance bike ; disc brakes (or magura HS33).

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 21:22 Quote
westbankrider wrote:
disk brakes. there r 2 kinds mechanical and hydrulic... hydrulic is better
u nless you used machanical for like ever than it takes like a seoson to get used to hidraulic

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 21:22 Quote
uh...whatever one cost more.

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 21:29 Quote
MattyCatchy wrote:
llessurretneprac wrote:
MattyCatchy wrote:

Yeah, but there is no need for the power! I'd rather save my money and buy somthing else...
I wasn't even talking power, I was talking about weight and amount of maintenance. I understand what you mean about the cost though.

Yeah I know, but its just a little unnessisary... I mean a decent cable is all you need, and a decent cable can be pretty light. Its a bit like having a lorry air brake on a car you use for going round the city/on school runs (accept from the weight obviously). There is not a lot of point... But I suppose if you are stinking rich/stinkingly spoilt then you might as well...
v brakes is the way to go for you

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 7:17 Quote
Hey.. For me, I recommend using disc brakes.. They work at any condition (for me) given.. and they are far from where mud will stick when you ride.. V brakes are great if you are a beginner, but you will soon outgrow it after a few times riding in wet and muddy conditions.. as for money, I am also in a pinch because I'm still studying.. But I found a cheap pair in Quiapo and now, I run disk brakes.. later, if I save up enough, I'll buy hydros..
current bike:
photo
before:
photo

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 8:37 Quote
wow, gravedigger much?

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 8:52 Quote
neon-freerider wrote:
yeah, a V-brake can be way more responsive, due to the fact that it is like a 26, or 24 inch brake
if you want to run rim brakes,how about a hydraulic rim brake like a magura hs33.no rotor to damage,and the power of hydro Smile

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 8:56 Quote
del12169 wrote:
no rotor to damage

true, but you wear away your rim instead of the rotor Blank Stare

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 8:56 Quote
del12169 wrote:
neon-freerider wrote:
yeah, a V-brake can be way more responsive, due to the fact that it is like a 26, or 24 inch brake
if you want to run rim brakes,how about a hydraulic rim brake like a magura hs33.no rotor to damage,and the power of hydro Smile

i was bul;shitting the kid, its pretty obvious which of the two brakes are better =S

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 9:04 Quote
yes but it is still a valid point,and one of the reasons a lot of trials riders use them.personally i favour 203mm rotors with hydro brakes (lovin the tech M4's from hope)

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 19:58 Quote
5" juicy ultimates are the best brake ive ever used. discs give you more control from my experiences and if you buckle your rim you can still go forward

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 22:32 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
5" juicy ultimates are the best brake ive ever used. discs give you more control from my experiences and if you buckle your rim you can still go forward
thats probably another resion xc racers would want to have disks on their bikes

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013296
Mobile Version of Website