29er dirt jumper

PB Forum :: 29ers
29er dirt jumper
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 21:13 Quote
i think that would be insanely fun to ride at big trails and on ds and 4x. the only problem is that nobody ,akes a frame strong enough. does anybody else think this is cool. Cool the bike has to have a rigid fork, just my preference even though i ride suspension forks.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 21:17 Quote
they make 24'' dj bikes because 26'' are too big. why would you want one even bigger than that?

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 21:19 Quote
Lucky-ducK wrote:
they make 24'' dj bikes because 26'' are too big. why would you want one even bigger than that?

i think it would be fun to ride. it would be like riding a bike that can go really fast but you can dirt jump it. it would make transitions tighter so you could pump it faster.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 10:16 Quote
FreerideHT wrote:
29's suck

What an absolutely inspired proclamation.

The closest thing that I can think of would be the Redline Monocog 29er in the 13" frame. My friend has one and it's just as weird as you would imagine.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
The only reason anyone would ever want to do this is just to do it and be a silly goose. It is truly a stupid idea in all actuality. Now I'm gonna go make me a cyclocross/downhill bike

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 10:33 Quote
The transitions on jumps would feel awfull and imagine a skatepark or doing 360s! (shudders at thought)

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 18:31 Quote
F**k all these losers who will deride your idea! I think it's such a good concept, that I am having a custom 700c bmx frame made for me. Here is rendering of what it'll look like.
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/photo/2372/pbpic2372521.jpg
The geo of a Vagasso Jabberwocky is pretty close to this concept if you want to build up a 29 dirt jumper now. It is a standard 135mm rear spaced, disk only, mtb bike, and I wanted to use bmx hubs, which called for a custom frame.

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 8:34 Quote
Ok, bad idea. There's a reason why they aren't pushing 29er DH bikes. Even though it sounds like a good idea (bigger wheels go over bumps better = go down hill faster, right?), it really isn't. You need to look at the physics of the wheel. Sure the larger it is, the faster it'll roll. However, at the same time, the larger something is, the less force it takes to snap it in half.

For a practical example: Take a unsharpened pencil, and a pencil that's half the length. Holding them from the ends, carefully snap them in half. Youll notice the longer pencil will flex much more before it snaps, and it takes a lot less effort to snap it than the shorter one. The flexing will allow more force to be applied to the wheel, laterally. That magnifies the amount of force being applied. That, ontop of the already weak nature of the larger pencil, will allow it to be snapped with ease.

Same thing goes for bicycle wheels. If you land a dj wrong on a 29er, or hit a huge rock at speed on a 29er, it's a lot more likely to taco than a 26" wheel. The strongest 29er rim made so far is a Mavic A719, and it's a road rim!

Then there's the weight. 29er wheels are already a lot heavier. Imagine how heavy it would have to be to put up with the abuse of jumping/crashes/etc. It'll weight a ton. This will make the bike lot harder to get up to speed. You'll need a longer run at the jump to clear it. Not to mention the extra weight will make it harder to move the bike around/under you. It'll be harder to pull tricks, so even if it does ride smoother in the air, you'll be trying hardeer to look as good as if you were on a 26" bike.

Why do you think so many riders have gone to 24" wheels? They're stronger and lighter than 26" wheels. Why would you want to go with 29er wheels?

I'm not telling you NOT to do it. That'd be stupid. Just do your research and be really positive you want to do it before you blow money on smething that probably won't work.

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 8:36 Quote
it sucks bad idea i rode a 4000 dollar full suspension 29er for a few hours on jumps etc and its sucks the corner slwly and jump horribly

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 5:16 Quote
29 dh bike could be sweet biger wheels would go dh faster roll over the lil bumps faster and as far as strength works i dont think ud have a problem just do a 36h adn run ur spok tension a lil tight dude it could be sick and u get suspension so absorb alot of it...djs would suck with a 29er but dh is another story -

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 7:22 Quote
kohl wrote:
29 dh bike could be sweet biger wheels would go dh faster roll over the lil bumps faster and as far as strength works i dont think ud have a problem just do a 36h adn run ur spok tension a lil tight dude it could be sick and u get suspension so absorb alot of it...djs would suck with a 29er but dh is another story -

I agree that 29er could be used for D one day, but they haven't developed wheels truely strong enough to takle the rougher stuff out there. Also, there's the issue of suspension. It's harder to get long suspension of 6" or more to move smoothly when the stays are so long, and the weight at the axle is so great.

But once they have done it, I'm sure it'll be wicked fast.

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 7:28 Quote
Check out Alex Morgan's work. He has a small company called BDC racing and he makes limited runs of full carbon, 29er, gear-boxed DH bikes. And he races 'em on the world cup master's circuit!...

I'll try to post a link soon...

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 7:45 Quote
I've heard about his bikes. I'd like to know what he's using for the wheelsets.

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 7:57 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bcdracing.com/psycho-billy-cadillac/oct08/AFG3%20053.jpg
Here...

I had a chance to talk to the guy a couple of times... he swears by 29'' wheels...

But hey, I guess 29ers is a personality thing. It has to ''work'' with you for you to like it.

I've ridden various 29ers and can see why people love 'em so ferociously!
I can also see how a 29er DJ'er would be fun. If you're interested I could build you one!

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005222
Mobile Version of Website