London Ontario -- Where are the stolen bikes going?

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
London Ontario -- Where are the stolen bikes going?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 2:22 Quote
You may know from my other thread that I had my IH Warrior jacked a couple days ago, although I have another bike I can ride I'm still bummed about it. Anyway I've looked at the google sat map of the UWO\UH area, read some stuff on the UWO news site about how many bikes are stolen, bike theft is on the rise etc ect but since I'm in investigative mode at the moment what caught my attention is the following blurb in the news I read.

"In the last 2 weeks of June 2008 there were 11 bikes stolen from the UWO campus"

That quoted text is right from the people that know...the UWO Police! So ok in a 2 week period 11 bikes went MIA, factor in that of that 2 weeks really only 10 days are working\teaching days and that pretty much means 1 bike per working day got jacked over that 2 week period! Ok so lets be conservative and say if there was 1 bike a day for that period we'll make it .5 bikes stolen on any given day at the UWO campus and that equals 15 bikes a month. If you add in some fudge numbers that might reflect the number of bikes stolen in London outside of the UWO campus you could say a total 25-30 bikes per month are stolen in the city of London itself.

I ask myself...

Where are these bikes going? Certainly all of them are not ending up at some drug dealers house or pawn broker's shop are they? Do drug dealers and pawn brokers even ride bikes? If the people that buy these hot bikes in quantity are not riding them obviously they are being sold\re-sold to someone who is...but...you'd almost think if they are being sold locally, and given the number that are stolen, more would be getting spotted and recovered. So in thinking that it makes you wonder if there is something a little bigger happening in London that may be similar in operation to the Toronto ring that was busted up not long ago...maybe not on the same scale as Toronto but a similar scenario for sure. I get to thinking this way too because I just can't for the life of me see how my bike getting jacked in the location it was jacked in was a random thing done by some junkie that need some cash for a fix. My bike certainly was the nicest bike in the racks when I parked it but for the amount of time I was away from it what's the chances of said hypothetical junkie just getting lucky in being there the same time as me? It just don't add up in the sense that all these bike thefts at UWO\UH are just a random thing and given that the security at UH said they were seeing 2-3 bikes a week going MIA from that very spot I think that's more evidence to support my thoughts about there being something bigger going on.

Your opinions and thoughts welcomed...

Posted: Aug 25, 2008 at 20:19 Quote
I have a school bus with boarded up windows... I drive across canada all summer and steal bikes, then I give them to poor people in africa...

Will I go to hell?

Low end bikes = usually a Pawn Shop

High End = Might even be out of the city before you know it's gone

Posted: Aug 25, 2008 at 20:21 Quote
do not buy from "marvelous" Be careful on the pinkbike.com buy/sell website - you may not receive what you pay for! I purchased a saddle listed as a $135 "rocket v stealth" (ti rails), and was sent the cheapest version of this saddle. The seller - "marvelous" - refused to admit what he sent, and would not accept a return. Prior to the sale he verified that the saddle had ti rails, when it did not Pinkbike can't do anything to correct the problem. There's no feedback on sellers, so don't let this happen to you!

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
i live around london and i have heard some stuff about that happening and i was looking though the london kijiji ads and i seen a norco sasquatch. that seemed like a good deal but when i called the guy up to get some more info on the bike he didnt know a single thing about the bike, he didnt know what year it was, frame size and he said he couldnt really say how much it was used and really had to heasitate and think about what to say when i asked a question, it just seemed to me like it was stolen and he just wanted to get rid of it, heres the ad if you think you might know anything about it

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-NORCO-SASQUATCH-W0QQAdIdZ69816223

lemme know what ya think

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 23:15 Quote
Go right for the throat and ask the seller for the serial number so you can check out the status of the bike on Bike Registry Canada's site and or with local law enforcement...the answer, or lack of one, will pretty much tell you if the person is the "real" owner or not Wink

So is anyone missing a high end downhill\freeride bike? I'm riding in the Oxford & Mcnay area earlier tonight and I see this 14-15'ish looking kid riding what was either a Big Hit or an a-line type bike up the sidewalk. The rider IMO did not fit the bike...for one the bike was clearly too big for him, for two in that area of the city I don't know many parents that can afford to buy their teenager a 2-3 thousand dollar bike and for three I doubt anyone would lend a bike like that to little Johnny so he can go to the store for candy! On that note a leisurely bike ride through the town house complexes on Empire St, Boulee st, Marconi blvd and Limberlost Rd can send a chill up your spine! Seems weird don't it that in those areas you see so many people with thousand dollar bikes...

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 8:49 Quote
ok, man, ill give gettin the serial number a try

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 9:45 Quote
well i got the serial number off the bike but when i go to bike registry canada it says that the bike was not found in thier database, is he giving me a fake number?

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 9:49 Quote
chewbacca69 wrote:
well i got the serial number off the bike but when i go to bike registry canada it says that the bike was not found in thier database, is he giving me a fake number?

It's far more likely that the bike was never registered since most bikes aren't.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:24 Quote
chewbacca69 wrote:

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-NORCO-SASQUATCH-W0QQAdIdZ69816223

lemme know what ya think

the add has been deleted, you cant tell me he has sold that bike since you posted this i reckon he has taken it off because he thought people were on to him, maybe the intrest sparked by your post

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
the ad doesnt seem to be deleted from where i am and i did try it on another computer so its not that and he says he still has the bike

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 19:47 Quote
I just checked too and it appears it's still posted...

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 at 2:48 Quote
it worked that time....strange i dont think that is stolen just by the way the seller has wrote the description of the bike.

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 at 15:00 Quote
i didnt think that it was stole eather untill i called the guy up, he didnt know a single thing about the bike that you couldnt tell by lookin at it

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 at 21:52 Quote
half of the bikes that get jacked go to limberloss by sherwook, or by whiteoaks that where my friends check to find his p2 and he found his bike with some guy riding it then he just called the police

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 at 22:30 Quote
man im locking my bike up at night from now on and not letting it outta my site..

-I live NEAR limberlos (not on the street, i live in the area like 10 minutes walking distance,not ghetto Razz )

-UWO is one of my favourite spots to ride

- Behind banting is one of my favourite spots also, not even a minute away from limberloss..Eek

-I ride at Sherwood forest mall alot too, i swear go out there when its getting dark/dark and like all of limberloss will be wondering around the area Eek starin at your bikeBlank Stare

- my friend just got his bike stolen ( Grey Kona shred, white odysey pedals,yellowishbrown grips, pink spray painted brake lever and cable, yes it is pretty ugly Razz if you see it contact me)

- ride downtown, skateparks all the time

yea, so im gettin a lil consurnacis, everywhere is high risk now
good luck with the search man, really bad to hear about the scum walking the street these days, makes me sickMadder

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014361
Mobile Version of Website