How do i tighten my spokes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do i tighten my spokes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 9:57 Quote
im afraid im going to bend my rim and i need to know how to tighten/ maintain my spokes

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
are any of them really loose? if not it should be ok, u can use a spoke tightner but you cant just go and tighten every spoke as much as possible. if your worried take it to a bike shop, doesnt cost much for them to true a rim.

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
b3n- wrote:
are any of them really loose? if not it should be ok, u can use a spoke tightner but you cant just go and tighten every spoke as much as possible. if your worried take it to a bike shop, doesnt cost much for them to true a rim.

if my rim has a small bend to it will this fix it?

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
b3n- wrote:

NOOOOOOOO! DON'T DO THAT!!!! If you tighten every spoke as much as possible, you'll taco your wheel!

You have to tighten equally, tighten in Quarter or HALF turns. If you have a warp in your wheel, find where it is, and tighten the spokes on the opposite side of the warp (so if the rim is bent towards the driveside, tighten spokes on the non driveside). This essentially pulls the rim back into place. If the spokes are already tight, loosen the spokes on the other side.

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 10:27 Quote
Don't listen to anything anyone here tells you. Just read the article I linked to and follow it.

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 10:30 Quote
ya definatly dont over tighten ur spokes. it takes a while to learn how to tru ur wheel but once u get it. the way i do it tighten one loosen 2. and once ur done dont forget to stress ur wheel. and only quarter turns or half turns depends how much it is out also feel ur spoke tension when ur done. and watch for radial hops.

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 13:19 Quote
if you need to ask this question you really shouldnt be trying this yourself! take it into a bike shop. if you ask nicely and they are not to busy they might let you watch and explain to you properly how to do it next time

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 3:05 Quote
read it again i didnt tell him to tighten all the spokes lol.

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 3:21 Quote
b3n- wrote:
read it again i didnt tell him to tighten all the spokes lol.

ye my rear wheel was fuked up liek that. only about 4 or 5 spoeks would coem loose some even out of the nipples haha. bike shops had no clue why and just kept rebuilding it even using threadlock on it and stuff and it just didnt work so i just kept having to retighten them.

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 3:23 Quote
duncanrusselljones wrote:
if you need to ask this question you really shouldnt be trying this yourself! take it into a bike shop. if you ask nicely and they are not to busy they might let you watch and explain to you properly how to do it next time
exactly, i asked the shop how to do it and they were very helpful, just dont tighten them too much, or bye bye spoke!

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 3:31 Quote
intestineeater1 wrote:
b3n- wrote:

NO! Do NOT do that.

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 3:49 Quote
If your other wheel is ok then use that to judge how tight your spokes should be. If the bend in your rim is quite bad it will take an awful lot of tension to bring it central, therefore to get it straight i would go to a bike shop. If your spokes are just loose then tweak them 1/4 turn at a time until they are about the same as the good wheel. Be very careful if you do this, over-tightening will buckle the wheel.

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 3:54 Quote
truffles wrote:
intestineeater1 wrote:
b3n- wrote:

NO! Do NOT do that.

do NOT do what? take it to a bike shop? thats all i recommended. read it again i said you CANT just tighten every spoke.

Rolleyes

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 5:38 Quote
Read the article I linked to and ignore everything else.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010286
Mobile Version of Website