how to remove upper stanchions from lowers on marzocchi drop off triples

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
how to remove upper stanchions from lowers on marzocchi drop off triples
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 17:27 Quote
ive searched this topic which helped out some but i need a clearer opinion before i proceed. right now im running the stock dual crown marzocchi DropOffs that came on my stinky. i know they arent the best, but im in the process of changing out the oil seals and dust seals to some enduro seals and also putting in some 15 wt. fork oil. ive already drained the oil out of both sides, removed the spring&spacer from the left leg, and removed both dust seals. now i need to remove the uppers from the lowers so i can get at my oil seals. i notice there are two long nuts at the foot of each leg...from what i understand from searching, i need to remove these right? i tried backing one out and it seemed like it didnt want to come easily. the forks have never been disassembled so they cant be stripped. any ideas?

also i have some very fine scrathces on my stanchions, no burrs or rough edges. can only feel if you really look for them and touch carefully. do i have to worry about my fork leaking with the new seals? the scratches dont seem deep enough to do the nail polish trick either. maybe just give them a waxing after i get everything back together?

thanx.

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
well i looked a little closer to try nd figure out why the bottom nuts would turn but not back out. it is because as i try to back the nuts out, the internals spin also. i notice that there are 3 groves ontop of the internals where a tool would fit...this would keep this part stationary as you back out the lower nuts. any ideas? it seemed like others have just loosened these nuts and the lowers came right out. thanx

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
all i did on my dj3s 130mm, was keep undoing the bottom bolts
and eventauly the stanchions poped out
just do like 20turns on each one
then try and pop them out, and keep doing that

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 15:06 Quote
hmmm...i turned one quite a bit and watched down the stanchion...as i turned the bottom nut/bolt, the internals turned also. one of the bolts spin easier than the other but both just spin the internals as i try to back them out.

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 15:11 Quote
duno then compress the forks all the way n try n grab the things with plyers or what ever n then turn it so it doesnt spin?

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 15:35 Quote
haha ya i thought of trying that two, but the stanchions are so long that i cant even get close to the internals. thanx for the input.

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 16:15 Quote
The reason they were hard to back out is because of all the pressure on them from previus riding this pressure sets the bolts in thier female end very titely, those nuts have rubber seals on the end wich makes it apear that the internals are spining with the nut but really the nuts are off the bolts and are just being stopped by those seals so try to pull the nuts off they should be a little stubborn but dont use anything but your hands good luck

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 16:17 Quote
oh yea and add on to what the guy siad about compressing the forks, out the forks back together and then compress the forks and take out the nuts on the lowers they will come out

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 17:26 Quote
alright ill have to try this. well when i attempted to take off the nuts, they just kept turning and not backing out. so then i shined a light down the stanchion and realized the internals were spinnning with each turn. i dont want to wreck anything, but have the mecnahical knowledge to do it and want to teach myself about forks. so you saying to screw the top caps back together, compress each leg, then back out the nuts? thanx for the help so far.

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 18:36 Quote
well igot em both out! thnx for advice guys.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.084463
Mobile Version of Website