does a 10mm standard bolt axle make your rear triangle much stiffer than the standard qr skewer

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
does a 10mm standard bolt axle make your rear triangle much stiffer than the standard qr skewer
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 10:55 Quote
philt90 wrote:
for the best of both worlds get the dt swiss 10mm axle with the ratchet system super stiff and easy to use

cheers that sounds good, can you fit to hubs other than a dt swiss dyu know?

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
paulkingston wrote:
philt90 wrote:
for the best of both worlds get the dt swiss 10mm axle with the ratchet system super stiff and easy to use

cheers that sounds good, can you fit to hubs other than a dt swiss dyu know?

yes.

so long as the hub is 10mm axle compatible.

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 11:02 Quote
yeah its 10mm axle hub

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 11:03 Quote
paulkingston wrote:
ok sweet so it fits in place of the 10mm thread

it replaces the 10mm axle and nut.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2009 at 16:11 Quote
I had someone ask me if my 10mm Atomlab Pimp rear hub would take a Saint axle, and I didn't know.

You guys know?

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 16:40 Quote
paulkingston wrote:
anyone know if you can run a quick release instead of a 10mm axle on a horizontal dropout frame? will it be sufficient to hold wheel and keep chain tight?
as have to take wheel of alot and fed up of 10mm bolts getting rounded and the time to take them on and off!

You could, but it's not proper at all. Seen more problems that way. You can always run some nice hardware on the axle too...

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/graphics/10mmgripfast.jpg

O+
Posted: May 7, 2009 at 16:50 Quote
Could you explain a little more?

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 19:54 Quote
yeah, it could take a 10mm saint axle.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
I don't really want to take my hub apart right now to see, but could you explain what I would do?

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 20:16 Quote
I switched my front hub from a qr to some random 10mm axle I found in my backyard and it works great...Snapped like 5 qr's.....All i need is my 20mm hub now for my argyle.

Posted: Sep 16, 2011 at 14:18 Quote
Hey does anyone know where i can find a skewer converter (asking here because i don't even know if this is what you'd call it) i just got a set of wheels which use a 10mm "thru" skewer in the rear. my dropouts can't fit it. my old skewer is too loose inside the hub so is there like a tube you can slide in to take care of the extra space? i'm not sure but i think my skewer is 8-9 mm qr.

Posted: Sep 16, 2011 at 14:19 Quote
rangemaster wrote:
Hey does anyone know where i can find a skewer converter (asking here because i don't even know if this is what you'd call it) i just got a set of wheels which use a 10mm "thru" skewer in the rear. my dropouts can't fit it. my old skewer is too loose inside the hub so is there like a tube you can slide in to take care of the extra space? i'm not sure but i think my skewer is 8-9 mm qr.

What frame and how old.

Posted: Sep 16, 2011 at 14:22 Quote
iron horse warrior 4.5 from 2007 i think... got standard mountain bike drop outs because wheels from my 2 other bikes fit it.

Posted: Sep 16, 2011 at 14:23 Quote
rangemaster wrote:
iron horse warrior 4.5 from 2007 i think... got standard mountain bike drop outs because wheels from my 2 other bikes fit it.

Could be just thick paint as most modern drop outs are 10mm,measure the gap with a ruler.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014030
Mobile Version of Website