how hard would it be to....

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
how hard would it be to....
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 9:34 Quote
remove my small ring. I really dont need it. I ride Park and street and DJ's when i can and i never use my small ring. Yes i know i shld be going single speed but i like cruising around so i like having the luxory of different gears. Would i be better of just removing the shifter and deraileur(spelling) and leaving the ring on or should i also take of the ring.

can you rate the difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being you cant put your chain on when it falls off, ten being you can take a part and reassemble your bike in 10 min flat( most likely impossible)

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
as long as you have a crank puller, a 8mm and a 5mm alin key then your set. You might also need a chain braker if your front derailer dosen't come apart. where as it might not be a 10 min job if you've never done it before it should take you less the 30min.

1) undo your crank bolt with the 8mm.

2) thread in the crank puller.

3) tighten the other side of the crank puller till the crank arm falls off

4) use the 5mm to remove the 4 bolts holding the granny ring on

5) remove the front derailer (brake the chain if need be or if you really don't care about the front derailer cut it in half to remove the chain)

6) put the crank arm back on

7) retighten your crank bolt

Cool go ride 'cause your done

and if your worried about your chain falling off get a inside bashgaurd and put it where the granny ring goes

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 9:52 Quote
fireninja wrote:
as long as you have a crank puller,a 8mm and a 5mm alin key then your set. where as it might not be a 10 min job if you've never done it before it should take you less the 30min.
so how hard would it be because i am not to skilled when it comes to this but im trying to learn .

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 9:53 Quote
oh and whats a crank puller?

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 9:56 Quote
ottawamtb wrote:

this is a crank puller

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=26&item=CCP%2D4

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 9:58 Quote
ottawamtb wrote:

might be better to take it to your LBS and watch them!

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 9:59 Quote
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

use this link if you want a real detailed description on how to remove your crank arms

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
knobzy wrote:
ottawamtb wrote:

or yeah that might be a good idea as well...

since the cost of buying a crank puller would probebly cost as much as to have some one do it for you...

personaly i wouldn't charge more the $5 to do this job

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 10:49 Quote
fireninja wrote:
knobzy wrote:
ottawamtb wrote:

or yeah that might be a good idea as well...

since the cost of buying a crank puller would probebly cost as much as to have some one do it for you...

personaly i wouldn't charge more the $5 to do this job

lol, i would ask you to do it for me but i live in Ontario and you live in BC so the shipping would be like $150.

I think for now im just going to remove the deraileur and shifter and just keep the ring on, i mean it cant be that much extra weight anyway.

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 11:01 Quote
I bought a 2 ring crank because it was cheaper than a 1 ringed crank, and be fore I put it on I took off the smaller ring, it was quite simple but since you would need to take it off then I suggest taking it to your LBS.

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 13:28 Quote
rokor wrote:
I bought a 2 ring crank because it was cheaper than a 1 ringed crank, and be fore I put it on I took off the smaller ring, it was quite simple but since you would need to take it off then I suggest taking it to your LBS.

yea but couldnt i just leave it on temporarely and just take of the deraileur and shifter

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
Oh yah, that would be fine. Another thing is if you plan on not using it again you could unscrew it and just hacksaw it off from two points.

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 19:17 Quote
i just did it a couple hours ago and it turned out great. it was pretty easy too. Being the first mod type thing ive ever done to my bike arfter doing it i fenlt a sense of accomplish ment. It shaved of a noticable amount of weight and i didnt even thke of the ring. My manuals are way better now.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011563
Mobile Version of Website