Good to bad too fast..

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Good to bad too fast..
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 19:22 Quote
srh- wrote:
Actually carbs aren't all bad. You need them if you want energy to exercise.
You want to eat the good carbs like:
Oatmeal (the slow cooking kind)
Rice (brown and wild are better than white)
Whole Wheat Breads (not white)
There are also carbs in Fruit and veggies

Stay away from bad carbs like the ones in refined grains and processed foods, as well as soft drinks.

Moderation is key too. If I know I am not going to be making it to the gym, I won't have a big plate of pasta for dinner.

I did the South Beach Diet a few years ago and found it to work amazingly well. It's not so much a diet as it is relearning proper eating habits. There is a 2 week cleansing at the beginning where you don't eat carbs at all. It's more to get your body out of the addicted to carb stage. Once you are done those 2 weeks (you lose about 12 pounds right from the start) you reintroduce the good carbs again. It really works and I still follow the rules I learned in the book.

I started exercising 3 to 5 times a week in the spring and lost another 26 pounds. I do about 45 minutes to an hour of weights and 45 minutes to an hour of cardio on some days. Other days when I feel less motivated I go to one of the classes at the gym...such as Circuit Training, Core or Spin class. Once you are in the class it's unlikely that you will leave halfway through...plus they are pretty fun.

If you make yourself a schedule and stick with it for a few weeks you will find the rest will come naturally. You will have more energy and start to see improvements, which motivates you to keep at it.

+1 I agree with this

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
biker-ellie wrote:
hey guys its simple eat and drink whatever u want den just ride loadsHelmet
Thats what i do Big Grin
Works pretty good IMO Big Grin
Just eat and eat and eat..but bike and bike and bike and bike Razz

And I've hockey training and stuff through the week tooo...and if im bored i work out a bit. but nothing serious like.

(at the minute im tucking into a tin of drinking chocolate(you really should try it! just whip out a spoon and get stuck in Big Grin , cant beat it))
lol.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 15:49 Quote
monty- wrote:
biker-ellie wrote:
Thats what i do Big Grin

And I've hockey training and stuff through the week tooo...and if im bored i work out a bit. but nothing serious like.

(at the minute im tucking into a tin of drinking chocolate(you really should try it! just whip out a spoon and get stuck in Big Grin , cant beat it))
lol.

Yeah that works if your a guy, a woman under 25 or one of those lucky bastards with an unusually high metabolism.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 10:11 Quote
I would like to toss my 2c in here. I have talked to so many women on this topic and there are a LOT who just don't really understand. I'm not saying any one posting has been wrong, I just have my own thoughts.

To say exercise is unnecessary is not wrong but just not helpful. If you can manage the calories you take in and the calories you burn to the exact, then yes exercise is not necessary. Most of us like to down banana splits and the odd fruit and nut bar, we like to induldge. Where will this leave us without exercise? When you look at your body aftter a good workout it is looking to replace the energy you just burned, so go for a good ride and have the banana split about 30 min later and you will not have near as much to worry about. Also the sugar thing bugs me, sugar is about the most simple to digest carb out there, you can burn sugar breathing hard. Sure too much is bad you won't hear me arguing about that, but my point is I dring way too much pop (the first thing to get the finger in too much sugar) and I am no where near overweight. You can get away with a ton of bad food if you exercise properly to acomplish what you want in regards to your body.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 16:26 Quote
ricar wrote:
I would like to toss my 2c in here. I have talked to so many women on this topic and there are a LOT who just don't really understand. I'm not saying any one posting has been wrong, I just have my own thoughts.

To say exercise is unnecessary is not wrong but just not helpful. If you can manage the calories you take in and the calories you burn to the exact, then yes exercise is not necessary. Most of us like to down banana splits and the odd fruit and nut bar, we like to induldge. Where will this leave us without exercise? When you look at your body aftter a good workout it is looking to replace the energy you just burned, so go for a good ride and have the banana split about 30 min later and you will not have near as much to worry about. Also the sugar thing bugs me, sugar is about the most simple to digest carb out there, you can burn sugar breathing hard. Sure too much is bad you won't hear me arguing about that, but my point is I dring way too much pop (the first thing to get the finger in too much sugar) and I am no where near overweight. You can get away with a ton of bad food if you exercise properly to acomplish what you want in regards to your body.

Remember a womens body is different than a mans. Men burn calories so easily some not so much but a mans metabalism is usually a lot quiker than a womens. Remember women cary babies and that food cant just run through our body. Women need to work twice as hard as a man. For a quater cup of ice cream is about 150 calories. I think if you are going to spend the time exercising then going and having that split will do you know good. You need calories and you need sugars but you need to get them from the right sources. I mean sure everyone once in a while needs the taste of goodness to feel sane, but going and saying that you can basically pig out then work out will cancel each other out. You need to work even hard to burn that banana split off. Sure a banana in weight watchers is only 2 points, but the icecream and then the nuts and then all the chocolate makes it about 12 to 15 points which in calories you are looking at the 150 to 200 calories. You can eat healthy foods and still get that rush out of them, people just need to find the right way to exercise what makes them feel good and what makes them bore their brains out. Just because you work out doesn't mean you can eat junk after. Maybe just the banana instead of all the unatural sugar filled garbage that goes into it. I think if you want a sweat treat, somethign good is just putting a one banana in a tablespoon of brown sugar with a tspn of oil not even i think is how it is made and fry it up, and put frozen yogart over it which is ahealthy 30 calorie treat instead of 150/200. Personally, if you are going to work out, make the time worth while.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 16:58 Quote
thanks for all the talk about banana splits, and ice cream and stuff, you made me really hungry and i pigged out like crazy...guess ill have to go work out now Cool

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:35 Quote
I realize women differ from men, you can ask my wife and 6 month old daughter. Men do tend to burn calories faster because muscle burns calories and men generally have 50 percent more muscle than women. So no I did not say you could eat like a pig work out and be fit BUT, if you plan on trecking across the Arctic than you need not pack anything but candy bars and that is the truth. If you lived in the gym you could eat crap all day as long as you ate crap from all 4 food groups. Most seriously obese people suffer from malnutrition simply from over eating the wrong foods all the time. Point is simple, if you burn what you eat you are doing alright as long as it's mostly healthy. I will say that I have a problem with weight watchers though as looking through my aunts book a can of tuna is equal to a mars bar. That's enough to make me question the whole thing.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:48 Quote
ricar wrote:
I realize women differ from men, you can ask my wife and 6 month old daughter. Men do tend to burn calories faster because muscle burns calories and men generally have 50 percent more muscle than women. So no I did not say you could eat like a pig work out and be fit BUT, if you plan on trecking across the Arctic than you need not pack anything but candy bars and that is the truth. If you lived in the gym you could eat crap all day as long as you ate crap from all 4 food groups. Most seriously obese people suffer from malnutrition simply from over eating the wrong foods all the time. Point is simple, if you burn what you eat you are doing alright as long as it's mostly healthy. I will say that I have a problem with weight watchers though as looking through my aunts book a can of tuna is equal to a mars bar. That's enough to make me question the whole thing.

I will agree with you here, and honestly weight watchers is not all bad. I mean some things yeah, but all the food you eat is natural and from a stores not out of a box to heat up in a microwave. You are not limited food you gain food, because it is not about a cup of food a meal it is about eating full meals, a piece of chicken is 3 points and you can two with veggies and some rice and salad and thats a full meal that one might not even eat becasue you get full just from drinking water. I think W.W is a rather resonponble way of losing weight. It will never tell you can not eat your favorite foods. Hell you could eat chips and candy, but the catch is limit your intake and increase your movement. It is not a diet, it is simply teaching you how to think about food and your intake, they don't make you work out but they recomend it just like any other person who is getting advised to lose weight. Weight watchers is learning how to portion your food, and think about what you eat, instead of Jenny Greg where you go and buy your food and hardly get anything out of it. I know a women who is in fact on JC, and she can have two, three bite sized pancakes for breakfast, sure it is better than nothing, but I would rather have a banana, bowl of cheerios and class of orange juice and still get to eat all day. I can lose weight fast off it, and I can keep healthy and not restrict myself from it,but right now at this point in my life I have issues finding my structure in my ways. Don't judge a book by its cover, maybe you will never agree with WW, it doesn't affect my life if you don't it is your choice, I just wanted to give you some insite as to what it is.

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 18:49 Quote
Hey, I'm not saying I think they (WW) suck, I will be the first to point out I know next to nothing about them. The thing I tell people who want to lose weight is find an exercise they actually like, and eat responsably. Muscle burns fat, the more muscle you have the more fat you burn. Sure you don't need to exercize, but it helps, a lot. You really seem to be in the best spot, you have a diet you like, an exercize you like, and the right mind set. Do it for your self and admit that sometimes you need to break the rules for mental health, and your set. IMO.

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 21:18 Quote
ricar wrote:
Hey, I'm not saying I think they (WW) suck, I will be the first to point out I know next to nothing about them. The thing I tell people who want to lose weight is find an exercise they actually like, and eat responsably. Muscle burns fat, the more muscle you have the more fat you burn. Sure you don't need to exercize, but it helps, a lot. You really seem to be in the best spot, you have a diet you like, an exercize you like, and the right mind set. Do it for your self and admit that sometimes you need to break the rules for mental health, and your set. IMO.

Agreed, I need the exercise to reduce my stress, my anxiety is way way too high lately. I just want you to know that I was never attacking you, and I am sorry if I had come off that way.

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 21:33 Quote
srh- wrote:
monty- wrote:
biker-ellie wrote:
Thats what i do Big Grin

lol.

Yeah that works if your a guy, a woman under 25 or one of those lucky bastards with an unusually high metabolism.

Ooo, I classify myself in both under 25 and a high metabolism! Some good eats you got there! Yeah, I really don't pay attention to the foods I'm eating, as long as there's something veggie, bread, at least one food group. Meat's easy though, I find a sandwich:P

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 1:26 Quote
Ahh im sick,I CANT STOP PUKINGFrown im not drunk

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 7:50 Quote
I was good with metabolism until about the age of 20 then it went right down the shitter. I'm about 20 lbs heavier than I was about 3 years ago. Exercise more than eating is key for me. I have pretty good eating habits already it's just getting the physical exercise in for me. Tough with my job and the gym can't keep me interested.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
I never took anything as an attack, so it's all good. Sorry to hear about the ills. Get well soon..... Like you'll say OK, some stranger told me to get well soon so I better start!!Beer

The gym never held interest for me either. I'm the type to need a friend to go to keep me motivated. I steped on the scale yesterday and my wife nearly shreiked, I'm down to 166. She says I'm wasting away. My problem is that with my job I just don't take the time to eat at all let alone eat well. Sorry I can already hear the cries of bugger off you prick, loose weight by accident. Still I have body image issues as well (I am confortable as a man to admit that) I geneticaly have scrawnie arms and legs. I have been told I have fantastic legs for a girl on more than one ocation. Pardon me if I don't know if I should be happy about that or not....

Posted: Sep 27, 2008 at 19:12 Quote
If its of any help I've got a site that was done up by a friend.
He does alot of road biking and running so he whipped this up.

Its not quite weight watchers.But it does the trick.

http://www.noochclub.com/gym/index.cgi?action=

The running log is actually more then running it has cycling,swimming and etc in it to.

I realize I'm not quite a woman but I had another friend point me in the direct of this thread to post the link.Hopefully someone finds it useful.

Edit:of course the link wouldnt work for me so heres to the main site
www.noochclub.com its the training tab beside the forums one at the top.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027500
Mobile Version of Website