Gears or Single speed for freeride?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Gears or Single speed for freeride?
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 13:30 Quote
I say u go with gears so u can pick which one.

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 13:34 Quote
TBK199er wrote:
I say u go with gears so u can pick which one.

no fking shit

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
Beav wrote:
Think im going to get gears. I have a 44t front chainring which will work as my SS chainring is to thick for a 9 speed chain. I also need to get deralier/gear cable/shifter and 9 speed chain and chain device. What chain device do you recon would be ok? Im going to look second hand as im a college kid so I don't have much cash :S

Im looking into getting SRAM stuff. I hear X-7 and above are good. What would you advise to spend most money? E.g shifer/deralier? (sorry for spelling)
Just to save abit of money im looking at one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dmr-Elite-Speedguide-chain-device_W0QQitemZ320290894357QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320290894357&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

What are these like?

Thanks for your replys to.

i would mostdefinately go for the x-7 or x-9 as they are super reliable and never break.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 16:27 Quote
go gears. i rode single speed for the last cupple days because i broke my shifter cable and it sucked. so glade to have gears back, its a no-brainier. gears all the way!

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
wouldnt it be better for learnin new tricks with ss, then u dont brake off a derailler every time u wipe out to the right?.......

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 14:22 Quote
ya single speed is better because direlliurs always mess up some how. plus its better for tricks

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 8:46 Quote
signorvince wrote:
jcc1015 wrote:
Gears are fine, if you can afford to run them. The point we are making by saying ss, is that it is unbelievable how nice and smooth it is. Since I have changed to ss I have had no fears of that stupid little skip, that skip that is just enough to knock off your whole run. I prefer running gears for the shear simplicity, and you cannot tell me I actually prefer it for the looks, because I actually have to run a tensioner, and it is still so much nicer to run. So the awnser to you question is a two part awnser. If you can afford a high end derailer, and don't mind the maintenance, gears is the way to go. For everybody else, if you cannot afford a high-end derailer, and hate maintenance, ss is the way to go. Besides, if you find the right gearing, and have enough leg strength there is no problem just cranking on it to gain speed for ss.

A derailleur/shifters aren't that expensive. Easy to maintain, and you save maybe a pound be going SS.

I'd rather do it the right way.
is it just me or are you just using this site as anger management stop arguing and each person to their own just shut up and ride your bikes

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
oh by the way freeriding is not just slopes and varying terrain its about riding free and enjoying it

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 7:51 Quote
Let's just clear things up and say... choose what the f*ck you want it's your bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019157
Mobile Version of Website