Shimano to Sram Conversion ♠

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shimano to Sram Conversion ♠
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 8:46 Quote
AdamKS wrote:
1. will I be able to use sram with my Deora 11-34t cassette?
2. Do Sram shifters use the same cable as Shimano I have a XTR cable?.
3. What will be better the new x.9 Shifter or just a x.7
4. Can I use a KMC X9L Ti-N Gold chain with Sram Derailleur

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. X.9, it a higher quality of shifter and is much more crisp.
4. Yes

The RD doesn't care about the cassette nor the chain, it is just there to move it around.

I have ran Sram shifting with Shimano drivetrain numerous times. I have also installed, maintained lots of customers bikes with that setup. It will be fine.

Is that chain currently installed on the bike?
If you are putting a new chain on, then put a new cassette on, or you will have terrible shifting. Also I would get your chain checked for stretch, that might actually be the root of all your problems.

PS, how did you make the ACE in your title?

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
neilv wrote:
you will need a 11-29 or less cassette to run the short cage. otherwise you will need the medium to run the 11-34

go for the short cage and a new 11-28 cassette. you may as well go full out and not cheep out.

Thats not true, I currently run a 11-32 dual ring up front and it works fine. There is a tiny bit of rub when I cross chain the hell out of it and just coast, but when under load there is nothing.

Shimano makes better drive train parts, their XTR cassette and chain are second to none. Currently I am running the full 990 from SRAM with the 991 hollow pin chain, and it is nice.

But I also would change the cable, what is a new cable $4? It will be better.

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
bonfire wrote:
AdamKS wrote:
1. will I be able to use sram with my Deora 11-34t cassette?
2. Do Sram shifters use the same cable as Shimano I have a XTR cable?.
3. What will be better the new x.9 Shifter or just a x.7
4. Can I use a KMC X9L Ti-N Gold chain with Sram Derailleur

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. X.9, it a higher quality of shifter and is much more crisp.
4. Yes

The RD doesn't care about the cassette nor the chain, it is just there to move it around.

I have ran Sram shifting with Shimano drivetrain numerous times. I have also installed, maintained lots of customers bikes with that setup. It will be fine.

Is that chain currently installed on the bike?
If you are putting a new chain on, then put a new cassette on, or you will have terrible shifting. Also I would get your chain checked for stretch, that might actually be the root of all your problems.

PS, how did you make the ACE in your title?
The KMC Chain is new and hasn't been put on the bike yet, but the Deora cassette has been on for about a month now so isn't that old. I'm also running a Blackspire 36t chainring upfront with a Blackspire NSX C4 chain Guide.

♠♠♠♠I have a Logitech Revolution mouse and if I press the forward button on the side when typing it inserts an ♠♠♠Ace♠♠♠ and if I press the back button it inserts a Diamond but if I press that I loose everything I typed♠♠♠♠

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 9:58 Quote
ot: if you don't have logitech mouse... Wink under windows, hit ctrl+r and type charmap. here you go. change the font to webdings, wingdings, symbol. there are also some symbols in typical times new roman.

this logitech mouse probably launches some ascii code... when in a text edit box, hit and hold left alt, then hit some four random numbers on the numeric keypad and then release the alt. got it? Smile

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 14:09 Quote
bonfire wrote:
neilv wrote:
you will need a 11-29 or less cassette to run the short cage. otherwise you will need the medium to run the 11-34

go for the short cage and a new 11-28 cassette. you may as well go full out and not cheep out.

Thats not true, I currently run a 11-32 dual ring up front and it works fine. There is a tiny bit of rub when I cross chain the hell out of it and just coast, but when under load there is nothing.

Shimano makes better drive train parts, their XTR cassette and chain are second to none. Currently I am running the full 990 from SRAM with the 991 hollow pin chain, and it is nice.

But I also would change the cable, what is a new cable $4? It will be better.

hmm really. thanks. i was always told 29 was the highest i could go. i never really adventured to go there and try that. i run an 11-21 anyways.

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 15:53 Quote
Just to clarify the answers above.

The mech and shifter are the only bits that needs to be sram. the other parts (chain, cassette and cables can be shimano/jagwire/clarks etc)
This is because the sram mech and shifter work off a 1:1 pull ratio rather than a 2:1 as used by shimano( which is why shimano suck)

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!!

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 16:28 Quote
Here is your definitive answer, doesn't matter what you read in the others.

You should get the X.9 shifter and derailleur, the X.9 shifter is umpteen times better than the X.7 because it's just an X.0 except without the carbon parts. You should not get a new cassette unless you need one, it will be compatible. You should not get a new cable, your old one will work fine but I suggest you use the one that comes with the shifters. The shifters come with a teflon coated cable that is lighter and doesn't create as much friction. Your chain will be fine. All 9 speed chains are compatible with all 9 speed drivetrains

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 18:30 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
Here is your definitive answer, doesn't matter what you read in the others.

You should get the X.9 shifter and derailleur, the X.9 shifter is umpteen times better than the X.7 because it's just an X.0 except without the carbon parts. You should not get a new cassette unless you need one, it will be compatible. You should not get a new cable, your old one will work fine but I suggest you use the one that comes with the shifters. The shifters come with a teflon coated cable that is lighter and doesn't create as much friction. Your chain will be fine. All 9 speed chains are compatible with all 9 speed drivetrains

this is 97% true.

The X9 shifter doesn't have the carbon parts like mentioned but the XO also have Zero Loss shift technology, which is leagues above the X9. But yes everything else you stated is correct.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 5:24 Quote
ok thanks again guys for clarifying that all the parts are on the way I Have ordered the 08 X.9 short cage derailleur and X.9 shifter 2008 one and some Goodridge Cables.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 5:49 Quote
AdamKS wrote:
ok thanks again guys for clarifying that all the parts are on the way I Have ordered the 08 X.9 short cage derailleur and X.9 shifter 2008 one and some Goodridge Cables.

nice choice man,and your gonna have to save for goodridge brake lines now for that all in goodridge thing,well not really but you know.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 6:31 Quote
yeh I was going to just use my old XTR cables but I've heard good things about Goodridge and I want the shifting to be as smooth and clean as possible.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 7:13 Quote
AdamKS wrote:
yeh I was going to just use my old XTR cables but I've heard good things about Goodridge and I want the shifting to be as smooth and clean as possible.

should of gone with the gore ride on cables.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 9:06 Quote
http://sram.com/en/srammountain/components/x9/triggershifter.php

Sorry bonfire but you're wrong... X9 does indeed have zero loss

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 9:09 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:

ha ha lol what's zero loss.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 10:51 Quote
marquis wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:

ha ha lol what's zero loss.
No clue, but it's excellent. Huge step up from my old 2006 X9's

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.045086
Mobile Version of Website