Fork oil weight

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fork oil weight
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 8:36 Quote
iv just re sprayed my dirt jummpers and have replaced the seals. i want to replace the oil too but i dont know what weght oil to use. my lbs has either 2.5 or 15 wt and im wondering wich is best to use if im 50-60 kgs.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 8:41 Quote
A 10W oil is perfect in those forks. But if you only have those 2 choices go with a 15W

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 8:47 Quote
ya,.what he said,..15w. It will give you a greater range of adjustment on the rebound side tup

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 9:22 Quote
cool thanks guys. il go get some tomorrow Smile

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 9:25 Quote
15wt will make that fork feel like garbage. It'll be WAY too slow. Use the proper 7.5wt.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 9:36 Quote
I find anything less then a 10wt oil in the dirt jumper/dropoff series forks makes them feel like a pogo stick. It also does depend on the weight of the spring in the fork and/or the air pressure you run in the forks.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 9:38 Quote
peach wrote:
I find anything less then a 10wt oil in the dirt jumper/dropoff series forks makes them feel like a pogo stick. It also does depend on the weight of the spring in the fork and/or the air pressure you run in the forks.

They have more then enough rebound damping IMO.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 9:40 Quote
if you cant get 7.5 - get a 10 and something lower like a 5 or a 3.5 and mix them both to achieve a lower weight.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 9:41 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
peach wrote:

They have more then enough rebound damping IMO.
Not all dirt jumper forks have rebound control. So tho only way to slow the rebound is with a thicker oil, end of story.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
peach wrote:
Not all dirt jumper forks have rebound control. So tho only way to slow the rebound is with a thicker oil, end of story.

Most of them do. He didn't come on here asking how to change the feel of his fork. Suggesting that he go from the stock 7.5wt to 15wt when he doesn't want it to feel different is absurd.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 9:53 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
peach wrote:

Most of them do. He didn't come on here asking how to change the feel of his fork. Suggesting that he go from the stock 7.5wt to 15wt when he doesn't want it to feel different is absurd.
But his fork's dont. So an oil thats WAY to light and you'll have no rebound at all, or an oil thats a bit slower but its not going to feel like a pogo stick. Only choices are 2.5 and 15, go with the 15wt.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 10:00 Quote
peach wrote:
But his fork's dont. So an oil thats WAY to light and you'll have no rebound at all, or an oil thats a bit slower but its not going to feel like a pogo stick. Only choices are 2.5 and 15, go with the 15wt.

First of all he never mentioned which Dirtjumper he has. Unless he specifically wants it to feel different he needs to order the proper oil.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 10:03 Quote
Hes asking what is better to use. Nothing about if it will change the feel of the fork. Theres his bike, older dj's no rebound on this one.
photo

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 10:12 Quote
Quit assuming things.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 10:18 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Quit assuming things.
Don't think anyones assming anything here. Out of the 2 choices what would you pick 2.5 or 15?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.054968
Mobile Version of Website