why are my spokes loose after a few rides?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
why are my spokes loose after a few rides?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 13:29 Quote
as topic..
is it because of my hub/spoke/rim?
im running a tank 10mm bolt skewer hub with dt 2.0mm spokes and an atomlab pimp rim
i tried replacing the spokes with atomlab spokes and it didnt help
i rma'ed the rim already due to cracked weld spot(rim splitted into a C shape) so im on my 2nd rim already and its doing the same thing

should i just apply loc-tite to the nipples after the rim has been trued to stop this or should i replace something else?

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 15:12 Quote
loctite or even triflow should keep the spokes from coming loose

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 16:32 Quote
I would try tensioning them again, and go for a ride with them. What happens a lot of times (im assuming you just got these wheels at a shop)is when a mechanic builds a wheel, he will forget to "tension" the spokes. Meaning, he forgets to torque the whel with his hands after he trues it. What tensioning does is this... When you turn the nipples, a lot of times just the spoke turns, and not the nipple around the thread. So, by tensioning, you can find out which ones need to be tightened down and which ones dont. What the mechaninc prob didnt do who built your wheel is tension the wheel. So, when you went out to ride it, it had a few loose, and a few tight spokes which caused the tighter ones to loosten to match the looser ones. HOld off on the loc-tite, that makes it impossible to true a wheel. dont do that.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
yellowpurple wrote:
maybe your a hack

who was that intended for?

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 18:48 Quote
kev211 wrote:
yellowpurple wrote:
maybe your a hack

who was that intended for?

the guy whos wheels keep falling apart

FL
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 18:55 Quote
When you first get a wheel the spokes need to strech, you'll probally need to be cautious for a month or two about them loosening. after you ride just do a quick check over and you should be fine

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 19:05 Quote
kev211 is right. spoke tensioning is key. if i were you i'd go out and buy a 3 size spoke wrench (parktools) and tighten yourself. read up on it, because to tighten you turn left and to loosen you turn right on some wheels. its confusing

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
Whoinventeduphill wrote:
kev211 is right. spoke tensioning is key. if i were you i'd go out and buy a 3 size spoke wrench (parktools) and tighten yourself. read up on it, because to tighten you turn left and to loosen you turn right on some wheels. its confusing
i would check the tension of my wheels once a week brand new or not
loose spokes lead to tacoed wheels and broken spokes

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 0:13 Quote
no im not a hack
things just dont really survive long for some reason when you go for 7 to stair drops constantly

anyways..my old wheel kept coming loose every week and i have to true it...now that my new wheel is doing the same i doubt its my fault...whats worse is..my front wheel never goes out of true and its a crap rim so that pisses me off

and yea my new wheel is two weeks old...i think i will true it and give it two more weeks...

does higher end hubs/rim/nipples/spokes make your wheel not go out of true as fast?

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 1:32 Quote
Is it a brand new wheel?

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 11:04 Quote
the old one lasted two months but i had to true it every 3 days or so

the new one is one month old...only had to true it once because i didnt do much riding

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 11:13 Quote
learn to true and tension your own wheels it pays off quickly. A young guy I ride with keeps buying expensive wheels and destroying them because he's to lazy to true and tension them. Same guy equates a hack riding style with being "hardcore"... just saying Rolleyes It's a bit of both. BTW. Stay clear of proprietary hardware. stick with 14g DT swiss on a sturdy 32 hole rim and hub. Your just wasting money if your hard stuff otherwise.

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 11:15 Quote
Buy a spoke wrench and tighten them whenever they come loose. Don't over tighten.

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 21:18 Quote
i have a Q.
i just got my new ride and i dont want to take them in to be tightend. but if i do it myself how do i keep the rim true?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012946
Mobile Version of Website