Riding in Montreal

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Riding in Montreal
Posted: Aug 27, 2012 at 9:08 Quote
St-PoK wrote:
capitaineob wrote:
I don't know any toher place in Montréal. I go to bromont or camp fortune

i heard a bit about camp fortune from a friend. is it worth the 3h drive from Montreal?

only if you're tired of bromont!

it's slower, rockyer and smaller than bromont, but they have a couple of fun stuff

Posted: Nov 17, 2012 at 15:05 Quote
Got myself a new bike, first ride after several months of hard work in the office...Just wanted to say to those who have done a great job at the track behind CEPSUM (especially in the bottom section) - Thank you! If I be here next season, then I'll try to contribute/ help. I've seen some blue strips on the trees looking like a track, did you have a race or smth? Also what is that green stuff all around the place? Just curious.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 21:23 Quote
Gorgut wrote:
Got myself a new bike, first ride after several months of hard work in the office...Just wanted to say to those who have done a great job at the track behind CEPSUM (especially in the bottom section) - Thank you! If I be here next season, then I'll try to contribute/ help. I've seen some blue strips on the trees looking like a track, did you have a race or smth? Also what is that green stuff all around the place? Just curious.
Its fertilizers for growing grass

Posted: Nov 29, 2012 at 8:08 Quote
For singletrack, about 40 min. from Mtl, can't beat Chanteclerc (free) and amazing! Trails starts around the 9 hole golf course.

Posted: Dec 1, 2012 at 19:43 Quote
In the St-Sauveur/ Ste-Adele aera (40 min from MTL) you have the Chanteclerc, Mont habitant, Solid Gold, Mica, Lac Quevillon, Loop deauville, SADL1, SADL2 and many others all single track some with a downhill flavor

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2012 at 22:56 Quote
Gorgut wrote:
I've seen some blue strips on the trees looking like a track, did you have a race or smth?
I do not think any cyclists would put those on the trail it is pretty well defined, it is probably for runners. A month or two ago they had a marathon or something that passed through the hill but after it was done they went around picking up all the little flags and tags. Guess this marathon did not do it because they have been there for a week at least.

The trail is pretty awesome some people have been doing some work I noticed. There are some other pretty cool trails in the area too on the other hills you can check out, up Camillien Houde (more around the lookout/Mt.Royal park area) and the cemetery. I try to only go to Mt.Royal park when it is not busy though and do not spend much time in the cemetary (usually one run), do not really want to draw attention to mtb and the trails.

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 6:26 Quote
[Quote="crazedmodder"]
Gorgut wrote:
I've seen some blue strips on the trees looking like a track, did you have a race or smth?

I heard they are gonna build a new walking trail.
that means they are gonna destroy the bike trail

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2013 at 11:50 Quote
[Quote="capitaineob"]
crazedmodder wrote:
Gorgut wrote:

I heard they are gonna build a new walking trail.
that means they are gonna destroy the bike trail

It looks like they're going to build a lot more than a walking trail: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Work+Mount+Royal+park+begin+June/7998798/story.html.

Not having a car, this has been the only place I've been able to ride my mountain bike for the last several years. It's heartbreaking to learn that we'll be losing the trails there.

Posted: Feb 22, 2013 at 20:31 Quote
Well, this is sad, that place was rather unique to my mind - City DH\FR with a convinience of public transportation. I'd rather to see more official trails (for kids and beginers as well) than pedestrain paths (no offense, but aren't there enough? ) Bike parks are great, however, they remove the "free"-part from free-ride. Not only you have to pay, but you also need to plan in advance. I guess most of us can't just go to a bike park when they want and have several free hours. At least I can't.

By the way, there is a certain possibility that I'll have to move to Quebec-city due to work. Don't want to start a new topic just yet, but does anybody know how it is there with in-city riding?

Posted: Feb 22, 2013 at 23:37 Quote
c'est la fin d'une belle époque... Cry

Posted: Feb 23, 2013 at 10:44 Quote
Alright....so we stop them? I mean someone had to put this plan in action....and i cant believe there were more people that wanted to walk those trails then there are people that ride them. The biggest problem....We are a much lazier people. And generally a younger crowd who has a lot of shit to do, school and what not. But there is no reason, in my mind anyway, that we couldn't get a piece of this park. What everyone must face, unfortunately, is that nothing is free. If we want this, it will take a lot of work, and we are a little behind seeing as work starts in a few months.....

O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2013 at 11:34 Quote
kevinmor wrote:
Alright....so we stop them? I mean someone had to put this plan in action....and i cant believe there were more people that wanted to walk those trails then there are people that ride them. The biggest problem....We are a much lazier people. And generally a younger crowd who has a lot of shit to do, school and what not. But there is no reason, in my mind anyway, that we couldn't get a piece of this park. What everyone must face, unfortunately, is that nothing is free. If we want this, it will take a lot of work, and we are a little behind seeing as work starts in a few months.....

As noble of intent as you are, it's likely a lost cause at this point. This is the city's official stance on mountain biking:

"Mountain bikes exert an enormous amount of pressure on the natural environment and contribute to its destruction. Leaving the trails creates ridges, destroys vegetation and leads to erosion and soil compression.

Observe the signs along official pathways to conserve the natural environment and to enhance the pleasure of strollers!"

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=175,1722397&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Et en francais:
"Les vélos de montagne exercent des pressions énormes sur le milieu naturel et participent à sa dégradation. Le passage des vélos hors des sentiers aménagés crée des ornières et détruit la végétation. De plus, ils contribuent à modifier les conditions du sol, ils accentuent l'érosion ainsi que la compaction."

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=7377,91007570&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Given that they do not want any mountain bike traffic off the gravel trails, they're not likely to cede any of the land for "our" use.

I moved to Montreal from Ottawa - it took the Ottawa riding community upwards of 10 years to get the city on board with giving even the smallest amount of land to be permitted for MTB usage, and that required the creation of a major advocacy group affiliated with IMBA. Even with that, the maintenance work performed by this group is still overseen by the city, and preference is given to making the trails "multi-use". More than that, the land maintained by this group isn't even an official city park, which is why there was any flexibility in the first place.

What I'm saying is that it took Ottawa MTB community a very, very long time - and a whole lot of work - to get tolerance from city officials. I can't say for sure, but it seems like Montreal's government is even more hostile to MTBs than Ottawa's government was, so I just don't see much hope for significant change, especially at this point in their construction plans.

I'm sorry to be so negative about this - please, pursue your intentions if you feel compelled to. If change appears possible, I'll gladly join the fight.

Posted: Jun 5, 2013 at 10:05 Quote
Darn, I was just looking into finding some trails for my bro who lives in MTL and this is really sad to see that trails are going to be destroyed! I'm from Ottawa and we are finally submitting a proposal to get a proper bike park with a pump track, jumps and a few trails this year.

Does Montreal have a mountain bike association? Make one! The city listens to associations with members -- not individuals! Read the IMBA books Managing Mountain Biking and IMBA's Trail Solutions! The environmental argument is bs. With proper trail design impact to the environment can be minimized! There are so many bike parks in Southern Ontario -- it's like the cities/towns there realize that they are boring as f*ck and know that they need to give kids and families healthy outlets like bike parks! Big cities are just afraid of litigation battles and "the mountain biking image".

The number of mountain bikers in the world is growing -- WHY IS THE NUMBER OF TRAILS DECLINING?! THIS MAKES ME SO MAD!!!! One of our best spots in Ottawa got bulldozed last year. It will be condos soon. I feel your pain, Mtl... I feel your pain... Frown

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 19:52 Quote
rbka wrote:
Darn, I was just looking into finding some trails for my bro who lives in MTL and this is really sad to see that trails are going to be destroyed! I'm from Ottawa and we are finally submitting a proposal to get a proper bike park with a pump track, jumps and a few trails this year.

Does Montreal have a mountain bike association? Make one! The city listens to associations with members -- not individuals! Read the IMBA books Managing Mountain Biking and IMBA's Trail Solutions! The environmental argument is bs. With proper trail design impact to the environment can be minimized! There are so many bike parks in Southern Ontario -- it's like the cities/towns there realize that they are boring as f*ck and know that they need to give kids and families healthy outlets like bike parks! Big cities are just afraid of litigation battles and "the mountain biking image".

The number of mountain bikers in the world is growing -- WHY IS THE NUMBER OF TRAILS DECLINING?! THIS MAKES ME SO MAD!!!! One of our best spots in Ottawa got bulldozed last year. It will be condos soon. I feel your pain, Mtl... I feel your pain... Frown

thanks for the thought and tips
... The trail is still there for now

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2013 at 9:23 Quote
Big jump up top was removed as well as the two jumps that were added this spring that led into the big jump (over the bankings). There are just piles of dirt, rock and wood now... it looks so sad. Thankfully the trail is still there but I only really saw the top part I was too lazy to walk down because I was on my road bike.

If you go there though be careful, there was a ton of broken glass on one of the trails that leads to the trail head. I do not know if they were put there purposefully but there was a lot so probably was.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023221
Mobile Version of Website