Getting in shape for DH.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Getting in shape for DH.
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 14:49 Quote
artifact wrote:
gabby wrote:
Guys, this isn't swimbike.com here.
are you sure? because i could have sworn it was.....

this ia very helpful thread guys keep it up.
is it imortant to have strong forearms for riding? because i see so many pros with the most jacked forearms ever, and i have to wonder.

Yes, it is important to have Strong forearms, not necessarily Bulky forearms. You do need to have lots of strength in your arms especially if you're racing on 4-5 minute fast and rough courses. There is a precaution though, because there's a tendancy when you get big bulky strong forearms that you could develop arm pump which would be very bad. If you are doing forearm and hand excercises, try to do them in a high rep/low resistance routine. You don't want to be Popeye when you're trying to race.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 14:51 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
artifact wrote:
gabby wrote:
Guys, this isn't swimbike.com here.

is it imortant to have strong forearms for riding? because i see so many pros with the most jacked forearms ever, and i have to wonder.

Yes, it is important to have Strong forearms, not necessarily Bulky forearms. You do need to have lots of strength in your arms especially if you're racing on 4-5 minute fast and rough courses. There is a precaution though, because there's a tendancy when you get big bulky strong forearms that you could develop arm pump which would be very bad. If you are doing forearm and hand excercises, try to do them in a high rep/low resistance routine. You don't want to be Popeye when you're trying to race.

I don't understand why having big forearms would possibly lead to arm pump? That makes absolutely no sense.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 14:55 Quote
gdawg wrote:
nlitworld wrote:
artifact wrote:

just to tell you arm pump is from being sense and holding on the handerbars to strongly. you'll know if you've ever ridden dirt bikes
I don't understand why having big forearms would possibly lead to arm pump? That makes absolutely no sense.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
Bulky muscles tend to build up lactic acid quicker than lean muscle. That's why you always see marathon runners with slimmer legs than a sprinter who has tree trunk legs.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 14:58 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
Bulky muscles tend to build up lactic acid quicker than lean muscle. That's why you always see marathon runners with slimmer legs than a sprinter who has tree trunk legs.

bulding up lactic acid is not arm pump it leads to you being really swore after the race

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 14:59 Quote
nlitworld wrote:

Downhilling is not an endurance event. Downhilling is more comparable to sprinting not a marathon.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
sheepsrider wrote:
nlitworld wrote:

bulding up lactic acid is not arm pump it leads to you being really swore after the race

Yeah, it is one of the two causes of arm pump. The other is restricted blood flow which is the numb feeling in your hands. The lactic acid part is the sore/tightness feeling.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 15:10 Quote
jettj45 wrote:
tmtrebor wrote:
so you resorted to that because your agrument got shutdown and you're too ignorant to come up with a new one?? Come on bro... As for the no life comment, I wont even touch that. I will bring some credit to swimming though (since you dont want to).

Swimming is good only if you do the correct distances for training... just getting in a pool and doing 5 laps isnt good enough... a "good" swimming session is like an hour long. The thing that sucks about that hour?? You burn less calories overall than running. You also have to make sure you're doing the strokes correctly. My father used to swim, he's now 52 and overweight (not by much though) but he can still outswim me... Tell me how that works?? Swimming is all technique, sure endurance comes into play at higher levels, but noone training to race bikes downhill is at the elite level.

Sprints. That's the way to go. Dont listen to the people on this board.

also, guy above me is talking about "plank" It's a yoga position. It's amazing... you have to hold them for atleast a minute though... try to get to 5.

Note: the below post has nothing to do with DH training...

Actually Swimming is the number 2 exercise for burning the MAX amount of calories. The number one is enduro riding on a dirtbike. My daily intake in highschool was around 8-10,000 calories just to keep my weight normal b/c I would burn so many calories at my swim pratices. I also was on a National level though...I just wanted to correct your common misconception that running burns more.

Swimming is great... If you do everything correctly. The average person isnt going to get the same type of workout from swimming that you, having been on a national leve, are. This is why I feel swimming is inferior to running. Of course I know that swimming has a higher "potential" to burn calories and increase your "cardio," but there is a difference betwen "actual" and potential.

if you want to do something productive instead of arguing online. Here is a sample workout from my training schedule (minus the classes and training). This is a direct copy / paste from a mail I sent to someone on this forum, so that's why it's in the format it's in... Do this every day, and you will be in better shape than EVERYONE on the hill. Biking "cardio" is nowhere near boxing "cardio." This will put you NEAR amateur level. Two weeks before my fights, (in your case the hill) I up the runs to treadmill runs, 7 min miles 3 miles 2.5 incline. After the 3rd 10 sprints (30 yards) at full speed, no rest. Repeat 3 times. Do that training every other day, stop all training other than 2 mile runs 4 days before your race.

sure, It's pretty intense though. I do this in the mornings, with 5 muay thai classes per week and 5 bag classes per week. I wouldnt worry about doing anything for the classes.

Morning:

3 mile run
15 minute jumprope
Circuit: x 3-5
50 pushups
50 crunches
50 situps
35 reverse crunches (lay on your back, legs at a 90 degree angle, like you fell backwards in a chair)
50 squats (with 20lb weight)
30 burpees (look online to see how to do)
10-20 pullups (up to you on what kind to do (inward or outward grip))
3 minute plank (look online for a picture)
3 minute jumprope

Afternoon:
2 mile run
10 sprints (30 yards)

night:
3 mile run
30 sprints (30 yards)

Of course this changes as my trainer sees fit, but that's a pretty solid workout for anyone. I would also look at crossfit.com for some workouts. you have to read the FAQs to make sure you do it correctly though. if you have mroe questions / want some other kinds of workouts let me know.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 17:28 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
jettj45 wrote:
tmtrebor wrote:
so you resorted to that because your agrument got shutdown and you're too ignorant to come up with a new one?? Come on bro... As for the no life comment, I wont even touch that. I will bring some credit to swimming though (since you dont want to).

Swimming is good only if you do the correct distances for training... just getting in a pool and doing 5 laps isnt good enough... a "good" swimming session is like an hour long. The thing that sucks about that hour?? You burn less calories overall than running. You also have to make sure you're doing the strokes correctly. My father used to swim, he's now 52 and overweight (not by much though) but he can still outswim me... Tell me how that works?? Swimming is all technique, sure endurance comes into play at higher levels, but noone training to race bikes downhill is at the elite level.

also, guy above me is talking about "plank" It's a yoga position. It's amazing... you have to hold them for atleast a minute though... try to get to 5.

Actually Swimming is the number 2 exercise for burning the MAX amount of calories. The number one is enduro riding on a dirtbike. My daily intake in highschool was around 8-10,000 calories just to keep my weight normal b/c I would burn so many calories at my swim pratices. I also was on a National level though...I just wanted to correct your common misconception that running burns more.

Swimming is great... If you do everything correctly. The average person isnt going to get the same type of workout from swimming that you, having been on a national leve, are. This is why I feel swimming is inferior to running. Of course I know that swimming has a higher "potential" to burn calories and increase your "cardio," but there is a difference betwen "actual" and potential.

if you want to do something productive instead of arguing online. Here is a sample workout from my training schedule (minus the classes and training). This is a direct copy / paste from a mail I sent to someone on this forum, so that's why it's in the format it's in... Do this every day, and you will be in better shape than EVERYONE on the hill. Biking "cardio" is nowhere near boxing "cardio." This will put you NEAR amateur level. Two weeks before my fights, (in your case the hill) I up the runs to treadmill runs, 7 min miles 3 miles 2.5 incline. After the 3rd 10 sprints (30 yards) at full speed, no rest. Repeat 3 times. Do that training every other day, stop all training other than 2 mile runs 4 days before your race.

sure, It's pretty intense though. I do this in the mornings, with 5 muay thai classes per week and 5 bag classes per week. I wouldnt worry about doing anything for the classes.

Morning:

3 mile run
15 minute jumprope
50 pushups
50 crunches
50 situps
35 reverse crunches (lay on your back, legs at a 90 degree angle, like you fell backwards in a chair)
3 minute jumprope

Afternoon:
2 mile run
10 sprints (30 yards)

night:
3 mile run
30 sprints (30 yards)

Of course this changes as my trainer sees fit, but that's a pretty solid workout for anyone. I would also look at crossfit.com for some workouts. you have to read the FAQs to make sure you do it correctly though. if you have mroe questions / want some other kinds of workouts let me know.

Was that advice directed toward me...Awesome workout for someone that is just trying to get in great shape. But this thread was asking about training specifically for downhill racing. That workout doesn't really address that at all. Doing a bunch of reps is actually the exact opposite of what you want to be doing for a highly anaerobic sport like downhill racing.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 17:40 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
jettj45 wrote:
tmtrebor wrote:

Morning:

3 mile run
15 minute jumprope
50 pushups
50 crunches
50 situps
3 minute jumprope

Afternoon:
2 mile run
10 sprints (30 yards)

night:
3 mile run
30 sprints (30 yards)

wow, how do you even find time to ride your bike...

hey man To bike better and be in shape for it, then, BIKE..

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 18:50 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
jettj45 wrote:
tmtrebor wrote:

Morning:

3 mile run
15 minute jumprope
50 pushups
50 crunches
50 situps
3 minute jumprope

Afternoon:
2 mile run
10 sprints (30 yards)

night:
3 mile run
30 sprints (30 yards)

that sounds like its an amzing workout, and your probably in the best shape out of anyone one on here, but your muscles need 48 hours to recover before you shouldwork on them again. or does this only apply to intensive workouts, and not so much to small things like pushups, and core workouts? how often do you ride?

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 19:56 Quote
artifact wrote:
that sounds like its an amzing workout, and your probably in the best shape out of anyone one on here, but your muscles need 48 hours to recover before you shouldwork on them again. or does this only apply to intensive workouts, and not so much to small things like pushups, and core workouts? how often do you ride?

Recovery time varies per person, and on the muscle group worked. For example, abdominals recover very quickly and are nigh-impossible to overtrain. You could go to the gym five day a week and work them every day.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 21:01 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
sheepsrider wrote:
nlitworld wrote:

Yeah, it is one of the two causes of arm pump. The other is restricted blood flow which is the numb feeling in your hands. The lactic acid part is the sore/tightness feeling.
the only pain that holds me back is dry mouth and my heart. i think if you are very cardiovascular fit, then it would be a lot easier. thats why i started running at school. it really helps and riding XC too. it really made a difference for me.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 21:19 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
*Snip*
Morning:

3 mile run
15 minute jumprope
50 pushups
50 crunches
50 situps
3 minute jumprope

Afternoon:
2 mile run
10 sprints (30 yards)

night:
3 mile run
30 sprints (30 yards)

Holy f*ck.
I hate burpees.

I just run.
Mix it up.
Do distance one day, intervals another. Max out twice a week, then take it easy the other days you run.
And dont over do it. If you feel fatigued, or sore. Give your body time to rest.

Also: Eat well. Duhh.

-Paul

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 21:21 Quote
Hamburglar wrote:
tmtrebor wrote:
*Snip*
Morning:

3 mile run
15 minute jumprope
50 pushups
50 crunches
50 situps
3 minute jumprope

Afternoon:
2 mile run
10 sprints (30 yards)

night:
3 mile run
30 sprints (30 yards)

Holy f*ck.
I hate burpees.

I just run.
Mix it up.
Do distance one day, intervals another. Max out twice a week, then take it easy the other days you run.
And dont over do it. If you feel fatigued, or sore. Give your body time to rest.

Also: Eat well. Duhh.

-Paul
damn, you in the Marine Corps? that is a really good work out though. i may try that. btw 3 min. plank is pretty hard, but at least that strengthens your abdemins.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027633
Mobile Version of Website