Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 at 13:31 Quote
jallan wrote:
gatoriswhite wrote:
bump

I think you've got enough opinions so far, and theres about a 90% chance you only made this thread because you know people would flame each other constantly.

Hayes HFX-9s!!!

Reliable, never let me down! Pads last for ages too on these, the power is brilliant and who cares if it doesnt have a bloody adjuster on the lever!
i bumped it because i'm tired of seeing nothing is new when i sign in so i bump all of my forums just for something to do.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
suvlako you clearly dont know what your talking about shimano V brakes were the absolute bollocks at the time they were nothing around that worked anywhere near as good as them but you didnt exspect to be able to fix them you just threw them away when they wore out i.e disposable which is why i compared them to avids.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 12:52 Quote
thenotoriousmic wrote:
suvlako you clearly dont know what your talking about shimano V brakes were the absolute bollocks at the time they were nothing around that worked anywhere near as good as them but you didnt exspect to be able to fix them you just threw them away when they wore out i.e disposable which is why i compared them to avids.
not completely disposable... depends which kind you have... I have xtr's which are fully rebuildable... you can get kits that replace all the parts if need be... I still have a pair on my xc bike... the work great...

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 13:03 Quote
stinkbat wrote:
thenotoriousmic wrote:
not completely disposable... depends which kind you have... I have xtr's which are fully rebuildable... you can get kits that replace all the parts if need be... I still have a pair on my xc bike... the work great...

but do you get my point? the shimano v brakes work designed to work briliantly and it was the case that when the bushing or the springs went you replaced the whole unit.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 15:05 Quote
z-man wrote:
jam135 wrote:
definetly avid 5's.have way more control.hayes hfx9 are powerful but i dont like the levers for one finger braking and there also either completly on or off.
agreed, some days they work great, others they dont at all.... and there levers do suck for 1 finger breaking, which is the way it should be done, with 1 finger

Ther not complelty on or off. No hydraulic brake is. The levers are fine just adjust them to be in the right place

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
Hayes 9 have really good modulation... when wet.lol

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 15:19 Quote
thenotoriousmic wrote:
Hayes 9 have really good modulation... when wet.lol
Is that sarcastic, because they have aweful modulation. I have them on one of my bikes i hate them. Lose modulation all the time and they are bled regularly.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 16:58 Quote
I found the perfect middle point (If you have the cash)
Hope Motos.
Feel stiff like Hayes, yet modulate like Avids.
Perfect!

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 17:21 Quote
jason-brar wrote:
skinna wrote:
screw hayes 9s and juicy 5s its all about hayes strokers
Definately!
they are the best brakes i have ever used i have used 5s 7s and 9s have mags on the dh bike and i choose strokers over alll

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 18:05 Quote
i like my avid Didgit cantilevers

Posted: Mar 24, 2008 at 2:26 Quote
i got the 2005 hayes (i think) but now they just dont work - not enough bite to one finger brake with and are falling apart.
dont get them if you want them to last is all i can say

Posted: Mar 24, 2008 at 2:40 Quote
i'd say hayes 9s, the avid feel spongy even when bled right.

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 19:07 Quote
off topic
but can any one tell me any good cheap hydro brakes
and coment on my profile please thanks Ben X

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 21:53 Quote
So you are suggesting throwing away your hydro brakes? WTF? To everyone who has posted in this thread.... Can you or can't you bleed brakes? If not, you are probably not qualified to say what is good and bad...
thenotoriousmic wrote:

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012773
Mobile Version of Website