Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 10:10 Quote
i want juicy 5's on my bike cause i hate my nine's

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 16:15 Quote
konarrider2007 wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:
Go with Hayes HFX Mag HD. Thats that i have and its great! And the calipers are same for front and back so no complication with that. They're very well rated on mtbr. But my opinion is that hayes last longer, might not brake as hard, but still awesome. Juicys are great, but god damn do i hate those levers... so ugly and the shape is uglay imo...

apparently u got no time on hayes.... extreme heat fade, pain in the ass to work on, modulation is ok though, get shimano brakes or code 5's... i have both and they kick ass.. the codes are the better of the two

totaly true about the heat fade i rode some moto v2's today and there so much better.

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 21:21 Quote
konarrider2007 wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:
Go with Hayes HFX Mag HD. Thats that i have and its great! And the calipers are same for front and back so no complication with that. They're very well rated on mtbr. But my opinion is that hayes last longer, might not brake as hard, but still awesome. Juicys are great, but god damn do i hate those levers... so ugly and the shape is uglay imo...

apparently u got no time on hayes.... extreme heat fade, pain in the ass to work on, modulation is ok though, get shimano brakes or code 5's... i have both and they kick ass.. the codes are the better of the two

hayes don't seem to have heat fade if you have bigger rotors... I have both shimano and hayes (hayes on my bighit and xt's on my enduro)... I weigh 220lbs... the bigger rotors that I added seemed to make the most difference to fadeout...

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 21:27 Quote
another joke of a thread. hfx suck. or will suck after a couple more rides.this is a fact not an opinion.

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 21:45 Quote
gonna have to go with the fives. They squeek and the nines don't but w.e. Juicys take a while to wear in but they get powerful once you break them in. IM running nines right now but i want new brakes soon, maybe a code fives ?

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 6:35 Quote
i just got a new bike a month ago, and my hayes 9 felt okay at the start, but their not as strong anymore, someone told me bleeding them wont help, on my old bike i had juicy 5, i wondering if i should put them on my new bike?

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 7:17 Quote
mtbshanemtb wrote:
i just got a new bike a month ago, and my hayes 9 felt okay at the start, but their not as strong anymore, someone told me bleeding them wont help, on my old bike i had juicy 5, i wondering if i should put them on my new bike?

hell yea dude... hayes = walmart brand of brakes

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 8:49 Quote
okay but my old bike was like a hardrock and the brake is completley diferent size, and my new bike is a dh bike with a bigger disc, does that make a difference/

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 8:56 Quote
juicy 5's end off
hayes feel different everyday and dont work half the time

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 9:09 Quote
if ur DJing, street riding, or park riding.
dont even bother with hydraulic brakes. just go with simple mechanical brakes that stop. simple as that. i hade hayes 9 and they were awesome. until after 2 years of riding. they died. i got mech brakes and dont see why i didnt go for them earlier. not to mention they're the cheapest shimano calipers and the lowest end avid lever on the market.

if u doing DH or FR riding. Juicy 5s or even 7s will be great. its a style of riding in which brakes are important.

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 15:30 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
juicy 5's end off
hayes feel different everyday and dont work half the time

not just that but after riding all day sunday i took my bike for a spin tonight and the front rotor is warped to shit and i know for a fact it wasent like that sunday night.

luckly for me both of my rotors are now bent beyond repair the brake pads are down to the metal, in need of a bleed and the hoses are badly worn. so i can buy i new set a brakes without feeling guilty.

£70 rotors x2
£30 pads x2
£15 bleed kit
£50 hoses and fluid

so its going to cost roughly £165 to fix some brakes which are shit to begin with and i can buy a pair of 2008 7's for £200.

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 15:48 Quote
I just got juicy fives on my manik and there great they stop really well. the only down side is that they take a while to wear in but once they do there great. ive riden a bike with hfx 9s and they were good too but i like the juicys more.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 16:54 Quote
ive ridden both brakes on my bikes and i say there just the same reali just go with what u like d want not what people tell you to getBig Grin

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 14:23 Quote
I have a pair of Juicy Fives and a lot of my friends have Hayes Nines, I personally like the Juicys more.

P.S. why does the lever click out?

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 14:44 Quote
spier17 wrote:
I have a pair of Juicy Fives and a lot of my friends have Hayes Nines, I personally like the Juicys more.

P.S. why does the lever click out?

so when you fall and smash your lever into the ground it pops out instead of ripping out and messing up ur brake.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020838
Mobile Version of Website