Metal project

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Metal project
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 21:01 Quote
well the only thing we havent used yet is the foundry and milling machine which is next week so...

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 21:18 Quote
when i was in uni we built an adjustable bike building jig. it was a pain in the ass, took forever, and called for endless milling. the end result wasn't really worth it.
in grade 9, you should forget about bike parts.but;
1. a bike stand is a great idea
2. making some macleod tools for your local trails/trail builders is a good idea. (look it up if you don't know what it is. they are expensive and mostly only available in firefighting supply stores.) you should mos def make a couple of them. or at least some tamping tools.
3. a folding shuttle rack for your dads truck is a good idea.
4. you should build a curved porta booter, if you have a tube bender.
5. pre building some teeter totter brackets, then putting them on your trail..

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 22:15 Quote
obee1 wrote:
when i was in uni we built an adjustable bike building jig. it was a pain in the ass, took forever, and called for endless milling. the end result wasn't really worth it.
in grade 9, you should forget about bike parts.but;
1. a bike stand is a great idea
2. making some macleod tools for your local trails/trail builders is a good idea. (look it up if you don't know what it is. they are expensive and mostly only available in firefighting supply stores.) you should mos def make a couple of them. or at least some tamping tools.
3. a folding shuttle rack for your dads truck is a good idea.
4. you should build a curved porta booter, if you have a tube bender.
5. pre building some teeter totter brackets, then putting them on your trail..

Now these are some good ideas.

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 7:43 Quote
roberto125919 wrote:
It's called being honest. If you've ever taken metal nine, it's not just free time to work on whatever you want. If your lucky you can do what you'd like in metal 9 you get to choose which pattern you would like to etch. No one should be encouraging him to make bars, cranks etc. whatever, so he can bolt them on his bike and end up injured.

mistake much?

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 1:30 Quote
Make a metal Stumpy Gate

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
In metal nine I made:
Bar ends
IS brake mounts
face plate for stem

in metal 11 I am making:
New bar ends
Chainguide
bash guard
Chain tensioner
remote master cylinder for hyrdo brakes

During the summer, I worked in a machine shop/pneumatics shop, made the following:
Remote resevoir for Fox Van R shock
handlebars
crank arms
started making rotors, But only got half completed.

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 17:43 Quote
A remote master cylinder? Care to elaborate?

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
For everyone who is telling him to weld alluminum, Good Luck. Alluminum has a low melting point which makes it harder to weld, and he's in grade 9 i dont think he has the skills queit yet to weld alluminum. Also he more than likely will be using asedalene torch, right? That's what i was aloud to use in grade 9.

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 21:33 Quote
north123shore wrote:
For everyone who is telling him to weld alluminum, Good Luck. Alluminum has a low melting point which makes it harder to weld, and he's in grade 9 i dont think he has the skills queit yet to weld alluminum. Also he more than likely will be using asedalene torch, right? That's what i was aloud to use in grade 9.

man, what did they teach you in language arts 9? spelling and grammar? lol just joking. the thing about welding "aluminum" or "aluminium" for the brits out there, the trick isn't dealing with the melting point- as is suggested above, its the visible progression in the colours of typical mild steel as it heats that you learn when you weld. Where with aluminum you don't have the advantage of seeing the heat affect the metal in the same way. but you get used to it when you TIG weld aluminum after a while. and no, i don't think he'll learn any TIG in grade 9.

and again, make some macleod tools for your trails. they are easy and will get you props.

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 6:01 Quote
I made one of those last year and a pic, they are awesome tools and pretty easy to make.

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 8:41 Quote
do you guys read i can oxy-acet mig and arc for welding

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 20:24 Quote
Don't be an ass if you expect people to try to help you, not everyone reads every single post, you aren't that important

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
Don't be an ass if you expect people to try to help you, not everyone reads every single post, you aren't that important

word. you started a thread with a fair question that other readers could benefit from the opinions expressed. its called a forum dude, people discuss ideas about certain things, in relation to a topic. its started with you and your question but don't think everyone here cares only about you in regards to this metal shop question/concern. i could give a shit about you, i just want more people to fabricate trail building tools like macleods and tampers and put em out on trails to help maintain the mtn.

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 1:11 Quote
i wouldnt suggest u do much arc. mig and oxy anything would be easiest and cleanest looking

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 6:48 Quote
thud wrote:
i wouldnt suggest u do much arc. mig and oxy anything would be easiest and cleanest looking

it depends really. ask your teacher about what would be best. i prefer Arc over MIG even though i can do a straight perfect line on a MIG. if anything, a TIG would be better but i doubt most high school shops would have one.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023187
Mobile Version of Website