Metal project

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Metal project
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 7:21 Quote
You'd need a skilled mig welder to make anything decent for a bike out of aluminum. And I'm guessing in grade 9 you'd be using the torch.

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
Definatley make some sick one of a kind brake levers

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 at 13:45 Quote
Vroomvrooomrider wrote:
You'd need a skilled mig welder to make anything decent for a bike out of aluminum. And I'm guessing in grade 9 you'd be using the torch.

I would say they would be using the MIG long before the torches in grade nine. An oxyfuel set up can kill you, and everyone else in the building if it goes boom, there's nothing explosive about MIG, the worst that could happen is your bottle would go flying, which could be quite bad, but nowhere near what could happen to an oxyfuel set up.

And yes, it is easy to get yourself in a lot of trouble very quickly with oxyfuel.

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 at 14:09 Quote
Since you guys are talking about welding and I want to learn how My nieghbr has an arch and a gas welder he said I can use them as long as I pay for the cost to run them, I was wandering wich is cheeper to run?

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 at 15:52 Quote
Vroomvrooomrider wrote:

Lol. We have two welders set up in our schools shop. And we have 9th grade girls running it every day.

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 at 17:43 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Vroomvrooomrider wrote:

I would say they would be using the MIG long before the torches in grade nine. An oxyfuel set up can kill you, and everyone else in the building if it goes boom, there's nothing explosive about MIG, the worst that could happen is your bottle would go flying, which could be quite bad, but nowhere near what could happen to an oxyfuel set up.

And yes, it is easy to get yourself in a lot of trouble very quickly with oxyfuel.

k seriously just read my posts yes i can use torches and yes i can use mig and arc/stick!

Posted: Oct 31, 2008 at 7:36 Quote
unsubscribe. started off as a good thread tho.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024748
Mobile Version of Website