PB Forum :: Beginners
upgrading my GT chucker
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 7:39 Quote
i'm new to dirt jumping, i got a jump bike. i want to know what to put on it
i'm open to any suggestions thanks
josh...Big Grin

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 7:55 Quote
lol well first of all wat does it have on it? it could be perfectly speec'd...gotta tell us these things Wink

but mainly, it shud run even single speed or only gears n the front, a short travel (80-100mm) fork, and usually you shud only run a rear break (less things to break + pulling ur front break on the landing of a jump = pain)

FL
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 7:59 Quote
well man, i really don't mean to be a jerk at all, however...
What i noticed as soon as i got a new frame (previously had a chucker) is that it's so much nicer! Amazing! Even if it's a cheaper kona frame, you'll find the geometry alot nicer to learn with and i bet you'll progress faster. Chuckers come with quite a low level fork so might want to grab some cheaper Dirt Jumpers or something

Ciao,
Bob

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 8:00 Quote
sorry, forgot about that Frown
it has rst launch 100mm travel, i have read many reviews and people have said they snapped easy, the brakes are mechanical- Lee Chi DSK-320
it has 16 gears 2 on front 8 on back, i wanna keep them cos its my everyday bike

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 8:02 Quote
i've ridden loads of chuckers before so am used to how it is setup and am familiar with the geometry
mynameisbob wrote:
well man, i really don't mean to be a jerk at all, however...
What i noticed as soon as i got a new frame (previously had a chucker) is that it's so much nicer! Amazing! Even if it's a cheaper kona frame, you'll find the geometry alot nicer to learn with and i bet you'll progress faster. Chuckers come with quite a low level fork so might want to grab some cheaper Dirt Jumpers or something

Ciao,
Bob

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 13:59 Quote
Well I just got my diamondback friction and am looking to add avid juicy 3/5's to the rear with a halo S.A.S wheelset (My quando shit is buckeled already!) An am still looking at the sus, maybe jumper 3 or 2? Oh an some nice Dmr V8's there grrrrrreat.
Wink ED

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 15:59 Quote
dj82 wrote:
it has rst launch 100mm travel, i have read many reviews and people have said they snapped easy, the brakes are mechanical- Lee Chi DSK-320
it has 16 gears 2 on front 8 on back, i wanna keep them cos its my everyday bike

ight. Upgrade the fork. Manitou Gold label 1 or 2, Manitou Sherm1n, DJ 1-3, pike, argyle...

Maybe upgrade the rims to single or double track your choice.
Handle bar stem combo? Diety is pretty good.
Cranks maybe?
Hydro brakes. def. Maybe lose your front brake? if you want. Doesnt really matter unless you want to do some bar spins or tailwhips.
I dunno some pics would really help.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 16:03 Quote
should get some argyles if you like some travel. juicy's 5 are a nice brake set, get some rhyno lites if your on a budget or atomlab pimplites if your not. diety comonents, and of course a single speed.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 2:53 Quote
three of my mates have had bikes with the rst launch forks and they've all snaped them quite easily.

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 9:08 Quote
are the avid juicy 3s hydrolic?

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 9:47 Quote
yes they are but i personaly would go with Avid BB7 theyre great breaks just as good as juicy 7 i would say and there mechanical which are better for DJ

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 9:56 Quote
ok i thought that hydrolic was better and i was gunna buy some for my flow drift 24" jump bike but that comes with Hayes MX2 mechanical disc. should i stay with these?

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 9:58 Quote
hydro's if you dont plan on crashing, but say you are going to try like a 360 then stick some mechy brakes on, because they matter so much if they brake

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 9:03 Quote
freeswitching wrote:
dj82 wrote:

ight. Upgrade the fork. Manitou Gold label 1 or 2, Manitou Sherm1n, DJ 1-3, pike, argyle...

Maybe upgrade the rims to single or double track your choice.
Handle bar stem combo? Diety is pretty good.
Cranks maybe?
Hydro brakes. def. Maybe lose your front brake? if you want. Doesnt really matter unless you want to do some bar spins or tailwhips.
I dunno some pics would really help.
[/Quote]i was thinking of gettin dj 1's
also hope mono M4 on the rear and deity cranks, da bomb glock stem
im not sure about rims really, cos i've been told that halo rims dent real easy and dont know what to get[/Quote]

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 11:42 Quote
i would recommend halo sas's cos theyre really strong and wont bend

brakes - dont get hope they are poor - get hayes or avid

forks - marzocchi are very reliable and the 08 DJ3's are cheap too

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.052691
Mobile Version of Website