Is shaving brake mounts on my fork worth the work?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Is shaving brake mounts on my fork worth the work?
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 18:37 Quote
igz- wrote:
Philly-bnb wrote:
lol if i didnt hate foxes id say itll look awesome
I don't think they're the best but I have nothing against them. I hate Marzo's though.

i(L) marzos:P but the reason i hate foxes is because they dont look good on any bikes

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
Some people have no intention of running a front brake... so why not?

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 18:39 Quote
photo
Looks pretty damn good imo

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 18:40 Quote
igz- wrote:
photo

yeh sure it looks fancy off of the bike

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 11:29 Quote
[Quote="Philly-bnb"]
igz- wrote:
photo

you have to shave those tabs right off of that fox. just getting rid of the little stub's looks like you gave up half way.

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 13:00 Quote
No I never tried to cut off the v-brake bosses. I sold that fork dayz ago

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 13:14 Quote
I agree with Makalaster on the hotrod comment, If u like it then do it. I think it looks clean.

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
I'm not quite sure I understand why you are doing this. If it isn't for "weight savings" but is solely or aesthetics, why bother? Sure, it may look cool and all but there is still a market, a rather large one for used parts. No matter how old or beat something is, so long as the price is right, people will buy it. Therefore, I wouldn't do anything substantial to modify anything especially when you are considering taking off a brake mount. Does it really matter if it is there but not utilized? You said you weren’t doing it for weight savings and even if you were, it would be negligible. However, it’s your fork so do what you want. I lopped off the brake mount on my Stab Primo frame’s dropout.
You just said it right there. Even with shaved mounts there will be a market for potential buyers. Alot of street/dj'ers don't run front brakes. A fork with shaved mounts wouldn't bother them at all.

If you want to do it, then all the power to you. It definatly looks nice and clean once it's done and if you never want to run a front brake then hell, sounds good!

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 11:43 Quote
i took mine off with a dremel and now it looks really nice and smooth it is worth the work but u will have to repaint as it goes silver

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 11:59 Quote
Women = shaved.
Fork = unshaved.

Personal preference. Do what you like. Literally. That is all.

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 at 11:50 Quote
Going to remove my v brake mounts off my rigids, best way to do it?

EDIT: dremeled mine off then filed them down, didn't take too long

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017277
Mobile Version of Website