So GT's New DH machine has a DHX Air

PB Forum :: Downhill
So GT's New DH machine has a DHX Air
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
the bike looks like its built for the XC circuit, full carbon frame boxxer WC and a fox DHX 5.0 air, i only dabble in Downhill so im not sure on how reliable this set up will be.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 20:32 Quote
The carbon fiber might not be a great choice for dh. If you even bang it once it pretty much worthless.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 20:47 Quote
Carbon is strong as shit, MUCH stronger than steal. Yes it can fail if you put a DEEP SCRATCH in it, you have to get through the several layers of paint and several layers of carbon weave that is there for show. I think it would be conceivable to be able to make a light strong clear coat over the thing that would be as thick as AL, in theory making it stronger being that you scape AL to far your frame cal fail as well.

No those aren't XC parts, remember norco put a DHX air on one of there race bikes a couple years ago, as well there are some BURLY parts on that bike, like 729s

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 20:51 Quote
....Who ever put the specs in for that bike on the GT site failed epically. Apparently the rims are nevegals and the forks and rear shock are reversed

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 21:27 Quote
Lol straight from the site:

# Rear Shock:
Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup, 203 mm travel, Air sprung, with preload, rebound and compression damping, with Motion Control and Maxle 20mm frnt axle
# Fork:
FOX DHX AIR 5.0, Air sprung damper with rebound and compression adjust and platform adjust

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 22:32 Quote
year carbon is 10 times stronger than aluminium

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 22:40 Quote
ddddhhhh wrote:
but it's way more brittle. it can't flex at all and that makes it really bad for a DH frame

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 22:44 Quote
if it is... then maybe you guys can help me out on something.. the new dorados they are carbon so would that be a bad thing or a good thing? like if i were to crash and my fork hits a desent sized rock. and a big scratch or maybe more would it be bassically garbage? like my 40's have been through hell and just wandering if you think dorados can go through the same amount of abuse?

***i know its not out yet but still you guys are talking carbon and the fork is carbon***

thanks

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 22:44 Quote
you know how they tested this frame? they gave a guy a ball peen hammer and told him to go to town on the frame, then stress tested it again and it still passed

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 22:46 Quote
I think carbon isn't a good material for downhill in the majority of its applications.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 22:52 Quote
yppah wrote:
but it's way more brittle. it can't flex at all and that makes it really bad for a DH frame

can't flex at all?

last time i checked orbea was making a pivotless dual suspension bike using a one way carbon weave to allow flex in the frame...

notice no pivot at the bb Orbea Oiz carbon FS bike

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 23:04 Quote
I saw an article which said the new GT has been designed for strength unlike most carbon bikes which are designed for light weight.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 23:28 Quote
yppah wrote:
ddddhhhh wrote:

ummmm.... Carbon Fiber is extremly flexible. It's what they make hockey sticks out of now. SeeUnsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2214395/BentHockeyStick-main_Full.jpg

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
AFAIK, carbon fibre can have a myriad of variations depending on HOW it's woven, and how it's set, it can be made rigid and strong, but brittle, or it can be made into a more flexible form, it's all very varied, and I think that's the strength of it.

Remember guys, it's not a solid material, it's more like a cloth, if I rolled a newspaper up and smacked you round the head with it, it'd still be stiff, and still hurt, even though it's paper?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015836
Mobile Version of Website