Repainting a Glory

PB Forum :: Giant
Repainting a Glory
O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 at 20:56 Quote
photo

That is how it sits now. I plan on washing it tmw to actually see the dent and scratches. Their covered at the moment....

Posted: Oct 4, 2008 at 20:57 Quote
Get a hammer and dent in the other side of the frame in the same spot to make it symetrical.

jokes

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 at 20:58 Quote
^I think the dent looks like someone took a 9mm and shot it from a long distance. Its like a bullet shaped/size dent.

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 21:22 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Aaron did that to shave weight.

How much did he actually end up saving? That is about as practical as taking the stickers off of your bike to save a combined weight of perhaps 20 grams? Glorys are heavy regardless of the paint. IMO that's just getting stupid.

Mod
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 21:23 Quote
I'll find out tomorrow. The number/weight was actually ridiculously high.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 11:44 Quote
Pitcrew wrote:
photo

That is how it sits now. I plan on washing it tmw to actually see the dent and scratches. Their covered at the moment....

Just throw a nice oakley sticker over the scratch, IMO its not worth it to repaint because of some scratches, you wont notice them when you ride the bike. What you could do, instead of repainting it, is go yo an auto shop, and have them mix you up a really small amount of paint, and you can just touch it up, instead of spending time and money getting the whole thing done. Then the scratches wont stand out. Dont bother man, if you pedal gets gashed, or there is a little rip on your seat will you replace them? Stickers or touch up, spend the money on tires, or upgrades instead of the pain, you will feel the benefits of them more!

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 17:27 Quote
Ive given the idea up till next winter. I need money for gas now cause i just got my jr license on thur. Its in the shop now to get checked out finally. I9 hubs/spokes on either urban s-types or 729(i think) might happen though...

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
Pitcrew wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
If you think Giant's warrantee is going to cover a bike that fell off your bike rack, you are wrong. It covers manufacturer's defects not defects caused by a users lack of care. Getting it repainted won’t fix the dent. Also, your bike will only get scratched more as time goes on. Seems kind of pointless to repaint it.
It was more of a grey area question in my mind. I could just push the seatpost down to far and screw up the frame. I know like 3 others that did that by "accident".... And ya i know over time, but ive only had the bike since April, and its only been to a mountain like 2 times(no license, and no friends who would bring me) About the "users lack of care" bit, id like to see any other bike rack hit a 6in talk "speed hump" with out coming off the back of the car at +20mph.

Im leaning towards repaint, or powder-coating. I like the flat black look over all. And i want to keep with the black, red, gold scheme. So i was thinking flat black like stock, but have the Giant logos and the 8 gold with red outlines. I suppose some properly place Race Face and Apple stickers will do until i find a place and funds come in.

Well the point of what Laurie was saying is, Hitting a speed bump at 20+mph without properly securing the bike would be considered "users lack of care" That's not a manufactures defect and they will not consider wreck less driving a good reason for warranty.

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 at 21:42 Quote
Pitcrew wrote:
Ive given the idea up till next winter. I need money for gas now cause i just got my jr license on thur. Its in the shop now to get checked out finally. I9 hubs/spokes on either urban s-types or 729(i think) might happen though...

Okay, If you need money for gas why are you buying 1000$ hubs.

I have Black I9 on 823 and they weren't cheap.

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 at 21:46 Quote
onone26 wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
Aaron did that to shave weight.

How much did he actually end up saving? That is about as practical as taking the stickers off of your bike to save a combined weight of perhaps 20 grams? Glorys are heavy regardless of the paint. IMO that's just getting stupid.

Not really. My glory is only 37 pounds complete.

If i were to take all the paint off and run a ti coil i could probably get it closer to 35 or lower

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2008 at 18:52 Quote
Ive given up on the idea. I just put some Raceface and E13 stickers in some spots. Used a sharpie a few times in some really bad spots and ill be happy for a while.

As for the wheelset, im not going for i9 anymore. Might go Hope Pro II, DT spokes/nipples, and either 729 or 823 rims. Its not final till i pay for it and its on my bike.

Id rather not speak of the incident anymore...Frown (cost me $70 to fix what was broken, which isnt bad, but still)

Posted: Nov 19, 2008 at 18:56 Quote
gnarkore wrote:

If i were to take all the paint off and run a ti coil i could probably get it closer to 35 or lower

Specs please Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2008 at 18:59 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
gnarkore wrote:

Specs please Smile
Its not even built yet....from some of his posts ive seen he only has the frame, wheelset and bars.

Posted: Nov 19, 2008 at 19:01 Quote
Your right. But still want the info, getting a Glory down to 35 is pretty difficult.

I9 on 823 with Michelin tires
MonkeyLite DH OS
etc, etc

(sorry I hope you don't mind, it is your thread afterall)

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2008 at 19:04 Quote
I am somewhat curious to about how he is somehow getting a Glory that light. Id try to, but not enough cash flow.

(If its about Glory's in a good way, im all for it in this thread.) I dont need a 12 yr old telling me my bike is to heavy....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010820
Mobile Version of Website