The Bellingham Thread

PB Forum :: USA - West
The Bellingham Thread
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 14:44 Quote
I think Larrabee State Park is your best bet. Legit camping sites right at the base of the Chuckanut trails. Per state parks website they are taking reservations and have some availability for that week.
There's also Friday Creek campground down the interstate a few miles in Alger though I've never stayed there. Lastly there is The Dollar Lot on the south side of Galbraith. I think it's on Facebook (though I am not or I'd verify).
I'd vote against trying to camp at/near Blanchard. Quite a few people live near the lake there and are liable to hassle you. Same for the Lake Padden lot on Samish way. Staying somewhere legit makes us all look good. We'll do the same in your neck of the woods. Wink
If you're not using Trailforks yet, now's a good time to download it and check it out. Enjoy the trip! Our trails are running good right now.

davidbirdsong wrote:
Hey all, I'm traveling to Bellingham to ride Galbraith and Chuckanut (should I hit other stuff?) the week of 8/17-23. This will be my 3rd trip back since last fall. It's possibly my favorite place to ride ATM.

Anyone have any recommendations for boondocking in a van? Last time I found a really close spot to the TH, but I'm not sure I'll be able to use it again. Also, this time I'll be with a buddy (so 2 vans) which might need a more legit spot.

Would love to link up with anyone that wants to ride. I'm middle-upper intermediate riding my Sentinel:
- drops starting to flow (like Scorpion's squirrel catcher)
- jumps kinda, sorta happening but mostly natural hits/gaps, still pretty wobbyly/goofy on tables and bigger gaps

My buddy will be on his new Wreckoning.

(following pretty strict covid protocol, but riding outdoors doesn't really challenge that much.)

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 15:00 Quote
davidbirdsong wrote:
Hey all, I'm traveling to Bellingham to ride Galbraith and Chuckanut (should I hit other stuff?) the week of 8/17-23. This will be my 3rd trip back since last fall. It's possibly my favorite place to ride ATM....

I'll be out of town but if you get a chance, check out Brown pow on North lake Whatcom. It's on trailforks

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 15:12 Quote
That's good advice, I forgot about Friday Creek Campground, although I've never stayed there either and despite having lived in Whatcom and Skagit counties my whole life I don't know anyone who has, maybe davidbirdsong can check it out for us and give us a reportBig Grin . Does Dollar Lot still do camping? I thought they got shut down on that some time ago, but maybe they got it sorted. Larrabee was my first thought too but figured it would be hard to get a site there in mid August. Are we thinking of the same access point to Blanchard? it's not near any Lake that I can think of and it's a ways up the dirt road away from any houses, that said it may not be a great spot I'm not sure if DNR allows overnight use their or not.

sngltrkmnd wrote:
I think Larrabee State Park is your best bet. Legit camping sites right at the base of the Chuckanut trails. Per state parks website they are taking reservations and have some availability for that week.
There's also Friday Creek campground down the interstate a few miles in Alger though I've never stayed there. Lastly there is The Dollar Lot on the south side of Galbraith. I think it's on Facebook (though I am not or I'd verify).
I'd vote against trying to camp at/near Blanchard. Quite a few people live near the lake there and are liable to hassle you. Same for the Lake Padden lot on Samish way. Staying somewhere legit makes us all look good. We'll do the same in your neck of the woods. Wink
If you're not using Trailforks yet, now's a good time to download it and check it out. Enjoy the trip! Our trails are running good right now.

davidbirdsong wrote:
Hey all, I'm traveling to Bellingham to ride Galbraith and Chuckanut (should I hit other stuff?) the week of 8/17-23. This will be my 3rd trip back since last fall. It's possibly my favorite place to ride ATM.

Anyone have any recommendations for boondocking in a van? Last time I found a really close spot to the TH, but I'm not sure I'll be able to use it again. Also, this time I'll be with a buddy (so 2 vans) which might need a more legit spot.

Would love to link up with anyone that wants to ride. I'm middle-upper intermediate riding my Sentinel:
- drops starting to flow (like Scorpion's squirrel catcher)
- jumps kinda, sorta happening but mostly natural hits/gaps, still pretty wobbyly/goofy on tables and bigger gaps

My buddy will be on his new Wreckoning.

(following pretty strict covid protocol, but riding outdoors doesn't really challenge that much.)

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 17:39 Quote
Yeah, dollar lot's worked out for me in the past, but not sure I'd count on it again.

You guys totally validated the trouble I had last time trying to find a good spot. For how awesome the riding is, it's surprising how little wilderness land there is around those parts.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
Related question (I'm his buddy with the Wrecker): I'll be there a few nights ahead of David, and will be in a Thifty rental cargovan (with no side windows and space for a camping mattress in the back). It reads like it's legal to park anywhere and sleep in it (and by read, I saw that on a thread somewhere). But any suggestions for where is a "good" place to sleep in a van parked on the street?

I may just try for the campsites like Larrabee anyway, but would be amazing to have a few strong suggestions for where to park.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
Yeah, a lot of the land close to town is private timberland or state or county parks. It's also gotten much more populated and developed in recent years. You have to head East an hour or so to start getting into wilderness areas.
davidbirdsong wrote:
Yeah, dollar lot's worked out for me in the past, but not sure I'd count on it again.

You guys totally validated the trouble I had last time trying to find a good spot. For how awesome the riding is, it's surprising how little wilderness land there is around those parts.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
Like @shami said, there's not really a shortage of forested land in Whatcom County - it's just that much of it is controlled. And tbh, it's a bit beyond my better judgment to publicly encourage anyone to post up on "X" street amidst all the other RVs and vans and such that we have here. In addition, if I was in your shoes, I'd prioritize proximity to trails, access to hookups/amenities, and safety of gear over no-cost street parking. When I am on vacation, I'm down to splurge when it means more ride and relax time. Smile

If you don't mind driving a little bit, I'll also add Birch Bay State Park up the interstate a half hour. I have been up there the last few weekends to get away - it's a good spot to camp. It's a little more of a drive, but there is Douglas Fir- and Silver Fir Campgrounds out on Hwy 542. That area is quite a bit different than coastal Whatcom County. Check out Wake N Bakery in the am, Chair 9 Pizza at night. Driving up 542 to see Mt Baker and Shuksan is well worth it. I bet a cold pint of Kulshan Bastard Kat that you'll see some riders out that way. Chat em up.

davidbirdsong wrote:

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
Yep, same here. My priorities are sleeping without getting hassled, then maxing ride/relax time. The van was the splurge--a little embarrassed what I spent to rent a sprinter for 3 weeks. If flying were an option for me RN, I'd cut out the 1000-mile drive and rent a house or something.

Thanks for the campground recommendations, might make it out there for a night or two and then mix in whatever I can make work w/ the Dollar Lot.

sngltrkmnd wrote:
Like @shami said, there's not really a shortage of forested land in Whatcom County - it's just that much of it is controlled. And tbh, it's a bit beyond my better judgment to publicly encourage anyone to post up on "X" street amidst all the other RVs and vans and such that we have here. In addition, if I was in your shoes, I'd prioritize proximity to trails, access to hookups/amenities, and safety of gear over no-cost street parking. When I am on vacation, I'm down to splurge when it means more ride and relax time. Smile

If you don't mind driving a little bit, I'll also add Birch Bay State Park up the interstate a half hour. I have been up there the last few weekends to get away - it's a good spot to camp. It's a little more of a drive, but there is Douglas Fir- and Silver Fir Campgrounds out on Hwy 542. That area is quite a bit different than coastal Whatcom County. Check out Wake N Bakery in the am, Chair 9 Pizza at night. Driving up 542 to see Mt Baker and Shuksan is well worth it. I bet a cold pint of Kulshan Bastard Kat that you'll see some riders out that way. Chat em up.

davidbirdsong wrote:

Posted: Aug 8, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
I was up hiking at Baker yesterday and FYI Silver Fir is closed. Doug Fir is open but they transitioning any day to 100% reservation sites.

If you’re looking for a campground, Larrabee could be good. Right in the Chuckanuts, close to town, and fun to explore on foot when you’re not riding. Reservations might be tricky. It worth checking.

Posted: Aug 9, 2020 at 21:34 Quote
I was up that way as well this weekend and also noticed Silver Fir was closed, as well as the Excelsior group camp. There were a few available spots at Doug Fir which surprised me.

PNWTommy wrote:
I was up hiking at Baker yesterday and FYI Silver Fir is closed. Doug Fir is open but they transitioning any day to 100% reservation sites.

If you’re looking for a campground, Larrabee could be good. Right in the Chuckanuts, close to town, and fun to explore on foot when you’re not riding. Reservations might be tricky. It worth checking.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 15:43 Quote
Hey guys, wanted to see what the locals had to say about the riding here in Bellingham. I'm from Bozeman, MT and I work remotely so a friend and I are out here for the week camping, working early, then riding all afternoon. So far in the last few days we've knocked off most of the must rides in Galbraith and Chuckanut. Where do the locals ride? Met a group up on Double Diamond/Double black that said there's lots more not marked on Trailforks/Strava etc which makes sense (keep us outsiders away) but I'm looking for that real sick woodsy stuff that I see in every PB video ever that seems to come out of Bellingham. Am I missing something or am I not looking in the right places?

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
Whoopsie Woodle is where all the banger Bellingham videos come from, that or SST.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 20:33 Quote
Shhhh! Keep it hid! Big Grin

Freerideguy14 wrote:
Whoopsie Woodle is where all the banger Bellingham videos come from, that or SST.

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 13:58 Quote
So frustrating to see the best local spots blown up on a forum like this Facepalm

Freerideguy14 wrote:

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 14:58 Quote
Hey sorry not trying to get y'all exposed just wondering if its out there haha. I am looking for a new place to move and Bellingham is up there, I ride a lot and would love to move to a spot with the best biking possible close at hand.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006274
Mobile Version of Website