Is winter riding really that bad?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Is winter riding really that bad?
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 9:15 Quote
jallan wrote:
beaker1 wrote:
I was in london in february and we wearing t-shirts and shorts, its basically like our fall
that sounds about right, some people just make far too mcuh of a fuss about the temperature in this country. However its the winds that get you, especially where i am if you get wet and its windy you're most likely going to be ill for the next few days, strips the warmth right away from you !
well that must suck

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 9:20 Quote
jallan wrote:
beaker1 wrote:
I was in london in february and we wearing t-shirts and shorts, its basically like our fall
that sounds about right, some people just make far too mcuh of a fuss about the temperature in this country. However its the winds that get you, especially where i am if you get wet and its windy you're most likely going to be ill for the next few days, strips the warmth right away from you !

yea thats true, I was riding in about -2 celcuis weather and I was perfectly warm, until I fell in a bit of snow, got my glove wet and my hand froze.

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 9:27 Quote
Winter biking rocks. Throw on the Mad Max studded tires and rip. There's a bunch of fools around here that work hard on packing trails down with snowshoes, some even drag bricks on sleds. Or their kids if they can't find any bricks... -5 deg C is perfect. Cold enough so things don't get soft in the sun.

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 9:35 Quote
Well.we.dont.get.snow
Its.f*cking.crap.casue.its.really.wetand.icyCry
I.dont.mind.the.cold.though

Posted: Dec 20, 2007 at 5:00 Quote
well me and a bunch of riders are buying a generator and big lights so we can night sesh our dirt jump lineBig Grin .works out like £5 each so is awsomeBig Grin . plus the frost makes the jumps solid so therefore they run smootherBig Grin .

Posted: Dec 20, 2007 at 5:19 Quote
lewy182 wrote:
bunch of riders are buying a generator and big lights so we can night sesh our dirt jump line

Nice! Must be a big crew to get the price that low. Frozen jumps would be pretty much indestructable too... Hurts a bit more, meh... Oh well...

Oh, and it would really suck to have someone trip over the power cord while your busting off a huge nothing or something...

Posted: Dec 20, 2007 at 13:17 Quote
Haha yeah rode our dirt jumps in the frost today.. so fast it was ridiculous, they are on a downslope so its hard not to overshoot everything without soaking up all your pump off the lips.. and i haate braking in the middle of a rhythm section. Pretty cool having our jumps turn into concrete though!

Posted: Dec 20, 2007 at 19:24 Quote
Winter riding is awesome, but I went out yesterday and basically everywhere I wanted to ride wasn't plowed, and most other stuff is icy, so I just skid around the icy streets and make the best of it. I make shur to wipe off the bike once I'm done though so I don't get water and salt in my frame.

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 at 19:31 Quote
snow-soft, less friction, easier to work with(i said snow not ice), you can have snowball fights and have fun, can't ride, snowboard/ski potential though.

Drit-you can ride, hard, hard to move due to rocks, roots, etc, lots of friction, and genarly its warm out so you over heat, and you can put on alot of things, but you can only take of a few things...

Posted: Dec 21, 2007 at 2:50 Quote
winter is pretty good. You can eat some trail food like frozen roadkill and snowdrops - that dont come out till spring - but anyway! haha

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 13:58 Quote
just put some knee pads on to keep your joints moving, and some thick gloves, and it will all work.

photo

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 15:03 Quote
its snowing really bad at my house right now, if i cant get to college in the morning im going riding the snow Big Grin

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:21 Quote
I agree when i get home it is almost pitch black and my local woods is always flooded (big puddles in the middle of the trails) im not the best of street riders either and i have no1 to go with.. its really anoying..

Roll on spring and summer!!!

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:26 Quote
craig-202 wrote:
I agree when i get home it is almost pitch black and my local woods is always flooded (big puddles in the middle of the trails) im not the best of street riders either and i have no1 to go with.. its really anoying..

Roll on spring and summer!!!

hell yeah I cant wait Big Grin !

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017001
Mobile Version of Website