Fox Float 32 or Fox Float 36?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Fox Float 32 or Fox Float 36?
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 at 21:11 Quote
i have a 32 float on my riot i love it so much

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 11:53 Quote
So aside from the Float 32, I don't know what size Riot I should get, I'm 5'11" - 6'0". Should I get the 21.5" or the 22" Top Tube?

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 14:45 Quote
I'm not meaning to hijack the thread, but I want to get floats too in the future.

I currently have 9mm open dropouts on my fork- and thus, the wheel to match. This means that if I get the float 32- I will get the 9mm version, and I won't have to get a new front wheel.

However, I'm currently running a Sun DitchWitch rim in the front- so if I have to replace the wheel eventually anyway, why not go with the float 36.

I like the fact that the 32 is a pound lighter than the 36, however, I really like the look of lowered 36's. I'm also not sure about the strength of the 32 float with 9mm open dropouts. I weigh 160 and I don't do anything bigger than a 10foot drop and won't go bigger than 20-25 foot doubles or tables. (extremely unlikely I will ever go bigger than that.) I like to think that I am fairly smooth... I haven't destroyed by ditchwitch rims yet.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
cheapbike wrote:
I'm not meaning to hijack the thread, but I want to get floats too in the future.

I currently have 9mm open dropouts on my fork- and thus, the wheel to match. This means that if I get the float 32- I will get the 9mm version, and I won't have to get a new front wheel.

However, I'm currently running a Sun DitchWitch rim in the front- so if I have to replace the wheel eventually anyway, why not go with the float 36.

I like the fact that the 32 is a pound lighter than the 36, however, I really like the look of lowered 36's. I'm also not sure about the strength of the 32 float with 9mm open dropouts. I weigh 160 and I don't do anything bigger than a 10foot drop and won't go bigger than 20-25 foot doubles or tables. (extremely unlikely I will ever go bigger than that.) I like to think that I am fairly smooth... I haven't destroyed by ditchwitch rims yet.
10 feet is pretty big for an xc fork

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:43 Quote
i think you should go with the 36 because i have been having this debate with my self to get a fork and i relized how much you are paying for these fork and that 32 could break just like that and there would be no warrenty becaseu it is a xc fork but the 36 you are paying for a fork that is going to last way longer have a solid warrenty and you aren't going to be thing that you are going to snapp your fork when you want to huck something

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:44 Quote
cheapbike wrote:

To me, the 36 will look absolutely ridiculous when lowered to 80mm (that's what I want to do) It will just look huge on a street bike, but if your jumping 20-25 foot gaps on a 9mm QR fork and it's holding up then I don't really see why you would need to get a 36... but that's just my opinion

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:45 Quote
connorboycott wrote:
i think you should go with the 36 because i have been having this debate with my self to get a fork and i relized how much you are paying for these fork and that 32 could break just like that and there would be no warrenty becaseu it is a xc fork but the 36 you are paying for a fork that is going to last way longer have a solid warrenty and you aren't going to be thing that you are going to snapp your fork when you want to huck something

I personally own a float 32 and it's not intended for XC it's an all-mountain suspension with 140mm. Bet that's enough for what the guy wants to do. Such a nice fork BTW.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
RockyMTN9 wrote:
connorboycott wrote:

I personally own a float 32 and it's not intended for XC it's an all-mountain suspension with 140mm. Bet that's enough for what the guy wants to do. Such a nice fork BTW.

Yes exactly, it's not an XC specific fork cause fox already has another line for that specific riding. And by lowering the fork from 140mm down to 80mm it will just make the fork even stronger.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
RockyMTN9 wrote:
connorboycott wrote:

oh well i am not sure though becasue i like to huck some drops and stuff and i think that evertime a go to do soemthing with a sketch tranny i don't want to be thinking my forks going to snap

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
planetxbiker wrote:
RockyMTN9 wrote:
connorboycott wrote:

Yes exactly, it's not an XC specific fork cause fox already has another line for that specific riding. And by lowering the fork from 140mm down to 80mm it will just make the fork even stronger.

very good point i did not even reliz that

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:51 Quote
connorboycott wrote:
planetxbiker wrote:
RockyMTN9 wrote:

Well, if you snap a 32 it's cause you go over 15 feet drops

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
RockyMTN9 wrote:
connorboycott wrote:
planetxbiker wrote:

Well, if you snap a 32 it's cause you go over 15 feet drops

So if you're planning on doing 15 foot drops, you wouldn't even have your fork set to 80mm in the first place, I'm going to lower it cause I mainly jump 10-15 foot gaps. Nothing more. And if you're hucking 15 foot drops, then just go for the 36. 20mm lowers, fatter stantions, you'll be fine! Smile

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 23:02 Quote
planetxbiker wrote:
So aside from the Float 32, I don't know what size Riot I should get, I'm 5'11" - 6'0". Should I get the 21.5" or the 22" Top Tube?

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 at 10:39 Quote
kickasskonakid101 wrote:
cheapbike wrote:

10 feet is pretty big for an xc fork

That would be the extreme maximum though- I've only hit 5.5-6 so far.

My 9mm dropout fork is currently holding up just fine under current conditions with 10-12 foot gaps. I've overjumped my jump once- going about 18 feet far then, landing onto flat- about the equivalent of an 8-10 foot drop.

Posted: Oct 13, 2008 at 13:28 Quote
BUMP

If my current Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3 is holding up just fine right now with its 32mm stanchions and the 9mm dropouts haven't been an issue for me yet- should I just go with the fox 32 float R because chances are that I will never destroy them.

How much does a decent thru-20 hub cost along with having to rebuild a wheel? I want to know how much more it would cost me to get a fox 36 float R.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018116
Mobile Version of Website