How do you get your wood to ur trails in the middle of no where?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How do you get your wood to ur trails in the middle of no where?
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
norcor1der wrote:
i was wondering if you could give me ideas to ge a large amount of wood to my trail for ladder bridges and such?
cut it in the exact length you need for the bridge, etc. so you dont end up cutting like 6 inches off each piece, wasting wood, and carrying extra weight. tie the wood in bundles. i use a wheel barrow if i can, or an old pack frame and strap it on. depending on how far you have to go, especially if your using 2". it may be easier to make ladder rungs out there. cedar splits nicely, but if you dont have that, i use like 3" thick deadfall, as long as its still sound. nail the pieces on touching eachother so they dont roll, nail on about the length of a chainsaw bar at a time, then mill them flat and even on top, then repeat.. if that makes any sense. i used this method in the inner depth of my trail, and it worked good, smooth and strong, took a while but so would packing 2" lumber way in there.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 15:22 Quote
esiest way is on a 4 wheeler if u got one

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
i take it your making northshore's?

when i used to build stuff in the woods we would just find it.
there was a pile of old mossy bricks that we would use as supports.
a pallet we found somewhere
a big plank of wood we found in an old ww2 bunker thing.
then we just built them on a hill.
to carry wood we used man power.

at 1 point we had 4 people.

once we found like a astro turf board. it was like 10x10ft but weighed a tonne.
it took 4 to lift it. put we couldnt get it through 2 trees...

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 17:06 Quote
PNWrider wrote:
find some 2x4s around town at construction site (but dont steal them) or take an axe and split logs. it takes work but it works really well

So what I'm gonna do when I make additions is take the pieces of wood that are cut off the top of a log on a band saw mill (called a slab) and cut them to width, this is free cause they were to burn them anyways but to get wood out far, I don't know?

Posted: Mar 14, 2012 at 12:14 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/R12-large.jpg
Here's what I use. It'll hold 500 pounds and rolls really well over rough terrain.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018864
Mobile Version of Website