Where Do I Start?

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Where Do I Start?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 21:15 Quote
I am currently interested in learning how to trial but am not quite sure where to start. I can manual for like 2 secs and thats about it. I am riding my full suspension bike atm because I do not have enough money right now for another one. also would you reccomend I bought a hard tail or an actual trials bike, because I have seen people use both. All advice will be appreciated, and you will be updated on how my practicing is coming.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 22:04 Quote
So, you've watched videos obviously?

Try that... Dumb it down, practice riding along curbs in parking lots. Try to hop up and down stairs.

All trials is, is a style of biking which involves you getting over or across something.

Just go out with or with out tunes, by your self and be creative. Look at reasonable stuff you can practice riding over. You dont have to jump right into learning to pedal kick or gap. If you have no balance its useless.

I remember my first lines. It was about 7 yrs ago, I was in my elementary schools yard trying to ride along the wooden barriers,
Then I progressed to trying to hop up stairs. Get up on benchs, then picnic tables.

The crazy thing is I didn't even have the inspiration of videos, I was out in the country and I just wanted to ride over things so I used my imagination.

Use yours. Watch youtube vids and get ideas.

Start on your bike and see if you like the techy aspect of trials. If not, no loss. If you love it. A trials bike makes life 100% sweet.
Thats all you do. Just ride and have fun.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 22:13 Quote
Thanks man, you're totally right. Would you think it would be alot harder to do it on a full suspension bike though?

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 22:24 Quote
Of course. What does a shock do. It absorbs energy.

So when you're trying to hop around, not only do you fight gravity, your balance and awkward angles. But the suspension is doing what it was designed to do, to stop you from making sudden movements.

But it doesn't mean you can't still learn. You can still work on skinnies, learn to track stand, work on manuals, even cat walks as 1980's as it is. Helps improve your balance.

So, its a bike at this point. Its something to learn on. When and if you want to get better. A more suiting bike of course will make worlds of a difference.

See if you like it. Some people are impatient. Wanting results right away. Trials takes time. Some guys like my self, it took a long time to learn basic moves. But I love it, otherguys catch on quicker.

other guys just can't stand the learning curve and quit. So, tool around on your bike and decide if you like it. If you do, then start thinking and researching options that may suite what you want to do with your riding.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
Keep at it. It's a great sport to be involved in.

Try to learn the basics, things like trackstands, bunnyhops, and maybe some rear wheel stuff? Check out http://www.trials-online.com/the-videos.php for some excellent instructional videos, they're how I learned! It's great to have a real trials bike too, makes a GIGANTIC difference in the speed at which you progress. If you're hard up on cash, look into getting a used one, check out this site's buy/sell, and the for sale sections on www.observedtrials.net and www.biketrials.ca

Once you've done that, look for some locals that are also into trials. I'm sure they'll be friendly, and you'll get the advantage of being taught how to do some of the harder moves.

Good luck! Big Grin

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 11:32 Quote
Thanks guys, you both have great advice. I just have one more question. I have been looking around at trials bikes, and I have seen ones with 26" tires and other that are quite small, whats the point of the small tires, compared to the large ones?

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 16:32 Quote
Preference really. Mod (20) is probably a bit easier to learn on, and sidehops are usually easier. But stocks (26) can tap higher...it's really just personal preference, although a lot of people ride both too.

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 at 8:06 Quote
Thanks man, you've been a lot of help, I guess I better get looking for a new bike.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 1:16 Quote
hey im new any 1 know where i can get used tirals mod rims i dont wana orter stuff cuse i dont know what i need yea i got some brake but dontknow how to mount them yeat

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 1:16 Quote
lil drunk sorry about speeling day after haloween gets me every time

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 13:35 Quote
chronic-poker wrote:
Of course. What does a shock do. It absorbs energy.

So when you're trying to hop around, not only do you fight gravity, your balance and awkward angles. But the suspension is doing what it was designed to do, to stop you from making sudden movements.

But it doesn't mean you can't still learn. You can still work on skinnies, learn to track stand, work on manuals, even cat walks as 1980's as it is. Helps improve your balance.

So, its a bike at this point. Its something to learn on. When and if you want to get better. A more suiting bike of course will make worlds of a difference.

See if you like it. Some people are impatient. Wanting results right away. Trials takes time. Some guys like my self, it took a long time to learn basic moves. But I love it, otherguys catch on quicker.

other guys just can't stand the learning curve and quit. So, tool around on your bike and decide if you like it. If you do, then start thinking and researching options that may suite what you want to do with your riding.

That is got to be the best advice anyone on a forum has given.
very true man very true.

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
Yo - dont wanna start a new thread so thort id hijack this one Razz Razz Beer

but im thinking of getting into trials but i'm very impatient so is it worth me investing in a second hand rig -
at the mo i ride a specialized demo 9 - so DH and FR
I also ride bmx street and park if thats any help

so what do you reckon - im interested but dont want to spend too long learning the very basics - never had a go on one

also 20,24 or 26???

im 6ft 11st broad shouldered if thats of any use

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 23:33 Quote
You should try to test a few bikes out of course if you can. Used trials bikes are great because they are cheap so you can afford to modify it as you develop your own style. If you arn't looking to compete then you should get a street oriented trials rig with standard 26" wheels such as a Norco Moment or some Planet X bikes are decent for that too. That way you can go to a skatepark or something and work on your more slowly developed trials skils and then mix it up by doing some fun easy moves. You can do small jumps and wallrides and all that fun stuff so you don't get frusterated by learning just trials only stuff. You can work on track stands and balancing skinnies, manuals... on your big bike so start with that as it will make you a better rider for sure! :whip

If you are going to succeed in trials you have to enjoy it. So start building your skills no matter what bike you're on. For instance, if you're at a stop light do a trackstand. Some sidewalks have a 6" wide section on the side that you can practice balancing on. Take slower more technical lines when trail riding. Hop on and off everything in sight.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013520
Mobile Version of Website